Fulham vs. Huddersfield

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by MicahMan, Jan 30, 2020.

1. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Fulham hosts Huddersfield on Saturday. Fulham faced Huddersfield early in the season for their first away win. Huddersfield had a terrible start to the season earning only 1 point in August and 1 point in September. Since then they have improved and climbed off the bottom of the table and are six points outside of relegation.

Their on-loan goalkeeper from Liverpool was hospitalized with a bad concussion and will likely miss the match. Their backup keeper has not played much recently, but you never know what to expect with backup keepers since there is plenty of goalkeeper talent sitting on the pine (or in the case of soccer the vinyl car seat).

If Fulham were to win it would be their fist double over another team this season. Huddersfield comes to the Cottage with Fulham owning the second best home record in the league, second only to Preston.

SoCalJoe, encorespanish and astroevan like this.
  2. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Another interesting lineup conundrum. Kongolo ineligible, Ream suspended, (Mitrovic, Knockaert, Kamara) out, Kebano iffy, and no word on Reed. Bryan banged his knee pretty good Sunday, so who knows how that bruise is treating him.

I won't even predict a lineup or a score. But I will wager that Fulham's streak of clean sheets is at a high risk of being broken. I will also wager that goals will not come easy this match.

encorespanish and MicahMan like this.
  3. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

We need the other forwards to step up. If Cavaleiro and Cordova-Reid can’t get it done, give some of the kids a shot, like Timmy Abrahams and Martell Taylor-Crossdale. Ivan and Bobby have had their moments, but not without Mitro out there to draw attention away from them. Cairney needs to pick up the pace as well. He can do more than he’s shown so far this season at this level. As for the defense well, let’s just hope that Rodak can keep standing on his head in league play. They’re 19th with -12 GD. We should beat them at home. But...this league is very unpredictable, as we all know. Still, gotta believe we can get three points when we really should.

4. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

is Timmy a brother to Tammy of the Undead?

6. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

He is indeed. Fun fact: his actual first name is Jason.

7. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Did see Kamara was back in training, so hopefully he’ll be available. They’re fighting for their lives and would gladly take a 0-0 draw or score early and park the bus, so hope we come out ready to step on some necks.

jumpkutz and astroevan like this.
  8. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Mitro is back and starting. Talk about holding your cards close to your chest. I doubt anyone really saw that coming. Hopefully it’s not being rushed.

Also, Kebano and Kamara on the bench.

MicahMan likes this.
  9. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

As my Grandpa used to tell me on the golf course; "There are no pictures on the scorecard'. Sounds like it went from a stroll in the park, to hanging on for dear life. However, 3 points added to the tally COYW

PS Add in Leeds losing at home to Wigan 0-1 on a crazy corner (Wigan whipped it, deflected by a Leeds defender ever so slightly 5-6 yards from corner, yet it somehow beat the GK in the far upper 90), and it's been a good day.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  10. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Short highlights. Great, great pieces of skill from BCR on the first, tremendous display of individual skill on multiple occasions during his successful romp to the goal. And Cairney scoring with his RIGHT foot? Get OUT! Although we nearly coughed it up with some more keystone cops defending, the important thing, as Joe so ably pointed out: 3 points. A tricky one next week in Lancashire, but for now, let's enjoy holding our nerve and taking care of business.
    Onward!

11. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Fulham’s goals were beautiful and Rodak sounds like he had another good game but where was Mawson? He didn’t even make the bench with Ream out and Kongolo not available? That makes me wonder what’s up. Glad for the three points.

encorespanish, MicahMan and SoCalJoe like this.
  12. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

I'm posting these highlights from Huddersfield because they happen to include one more save from Rodak:

Rodak would be my MOTM because he made a number of fantastic saves in the second half to preserve the lead (and I can't fault him much on the two that went in). His best save wasn't even included in either of these highlights - I thought for sure the ball was heading into the net but he managed to flash a palm out and keep the lead.

Fulham was amazing in the first 30 minutes and dominated the game. After the third goal, I told my son that Fulham hadn't won by more than one goal since November and that it would be nice to finally cruse to a win - well that plan fell apart before the end of the half! Things were much more balanced between the two teams in the second half, but they managed to do just enough to get the win.

Fulham and Nottingham Forest have the best record in the Championship over the last 8 matches leaving Fulham only three points from second now. And Nottingham Forest, who had been within three points of Fulham with a game in hand for a while, have finally gotten even on matches but their loss to Birmingham now has them a point behind Fulham. Bristol City and Brentford are just two points behind Fulham, so while Fulham are well positioned to take on Leeds, they will have to keep their foot on the gas to also fend off the rest of the playoff contenders.