Fulham vs. Everton

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by MicahMan, Jan 30, 2024.

1. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Fulham returns to Premier League action this afternoon against Everton with kickoff on Peacock at 2:45 EST.

These are two teams eager to get a win after some recent disappointments. Everton were knocked out of the FA Cup by Cauley Woodrow's late winner for Luton (oh I wish Don could have seen that!) and they have just one point out of their last four Premier League matches. Meanwhile Fulham saw both their cup runs come to an end and a memorable win against Arsenal generated the only points Fulham have gotten out of the past five. Everton will feel confident coming in after believing they were the better team in Fulham's opening weekend win and their superior record masked by the 10 point deduction.

Sadly, Nigeria's run continues in AFCON so Iwobi and Bassey remain unavailable. Worse, Harry Wilson will be out for a few weeks due to his shoulder injury right when he seemed to be finding his form. Traore still isn't ready to return so Fulham will be a little thin on the wings.

Given the available roster and Everton's pretty good defense I don't see Fulham scoring in this one. Fulham already had one fortunate win against Everton this season - I don't think they get a second.

SoCalJoe and nevzter like this.
  2. daddude7

daddude7 Well-Known Member

Jimenez hurt. We surely must recall Stansfield now?

nevzter likes this.
  3. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Given the issues on offense, I thought that was a pretty good showing from Fulham. They created a number of opportunities and looked good going forward, until the ball went into the box. I would have liked to have seen fewer lofted crosses and more low balls fizzed given the ability of the Everton defense in the air.

My man of the match was Castagne. He was everywhere. His toes saved Fulham from going down a goal and his glancing header nearly got the win.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
    nevzter and SoCalJoe like this.
  4. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

If either team had a centile finishing ability this could have been 6-5 or something. Lots of good play and scoring chances from both teams, just no goals. Gonna have to be satisfied with a point. Our defense seems to have ebbed and flowed this season. Kinda same for the offense. The question is who is the real Fulham? The current huffing and puffing edition, or the juggernaut that ripped off consecutive 5-nil whoopings at the beginning of December?

nevzter, MicahMan and SoCalJoe like this.
  5. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

My thought is that the juggernaut version of Fulham needs everything to be clicking. That isn't even an option with Iwobi playing on another continent. So until he returns, and probably Bassey, and probably Wilson, I don't think we even have a chance to see the high-flying Fulham again. Which I guess is why I felt okay with the draw given the circumstances and the opposition.

nevzter likes this.
  6. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

A point earned, I guess. Agree that the absences hurt an already struggling offense...and snooped around re Stansfield potentially being recalled and the internets (trustworthy stuff, I know...) said that Fulham plan to leave him on loan for the remainder of the season as of late December '23. If Jimenez' hammy is done, the options up top are not confidence-instilling as of the moment.
    COYW

7. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Most exciting nil-nil draw I've witnessed. Frustrating that Fulham didn't get the one shot that could've given them the win though. It's definitely worrisome that two Fulham players went off with injuries.

8. daddude7

daddude7 Well-Known Member

We still have a few hours to recall Stansfield.