Fulham vs Derby

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by MicahMan, Nov 22, 2021.

1. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Fulham hosts Derby at 2:45pm EST on Wednesday. The match will be on FFCTV.

We all know what Derby did to Bournemouth on Sunday, so clearly they cannot be underestimated. Derby is at the bottom of the table, but they have earned 21 points so far which would have them in 16th place between Birmingham and Preston if not for the points penalty. They have also done well against the top half of the table. Of the seven top half teams they played, they only lost to Blackburn and won against Stoke in addition to Bournemouth. Derby has let in only 18 goals so far which ranks them as one of the better defenses in the league. Their main issue (outside of financial shenanigans) is that they have a hard time scoring with only 16 goals with only fellow relegation candidates Hull and Barnsley scoring less. I have to give a lot of credit to Wayne Rooney for holding things together and keeping Derby competitive despite their issues. Derby would have to get results like a playoff caliber team for the remainder of the season just to have a shot at avoiding relegation, and that simply is not going to happen. This team is getting relegated, but Rooney is still somehow keeping everyone focused on winning one game at a time. I suspect things are going to get a lot worse on the pitch for Derby during the January transfer window as they try to cash in on some more experienced players just to keep the lights on, so this is probably the high point of their season.

As for Fulham, they should be in good shape heading into the mid-week match. Tosin will be available and I expect him to start. The only other change I wouldn't be surprised to see is Seri coming in for Cairney, or maybe Reed, depending on their fitness.

Although Derby did get a great result from Bournemouth, I also don't think they looked particularly good. They insisted on playing up from the back despite making a number of questionable passes. Parker's Bournemouth only took advantage of that once, but with Silva's Fulham being much more keen on going for the kill, Derby will have to do better on Wednesday or change their approach if they hope to have a chance against Fulham.

nevzter likes this.
  2. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

This one is the proverbial mine field. The Bournemouth result will embolden the Rams, but should also serve as a deterrent to any complacent tendencies our lads might have otherwise fallen victim to. Hopefully the memories of Coventry and Peterborough aren’t lost on them either, although I’ll take a 1-nil road win against the Little Sisters of the Poor or The Posh any day. I think we’ve learned how win without necessarily playing well, and it seems as if we’ve scored more goals and mashed a few more opponents on the road than at home this season (see 5-1 at Huddersfield, 4-1, at Birmingham, 4-nil at Nottingham and 7-nil at Blackburn). I’m hoping we can do more if that in the friendly confines of Craven Cottage. More good news (knock on wood)…we seem to be relatively healthy heading towards the beefy holiday schedule. Tete’s back, Tosin’s red card ban is over and there are no known new fitness concerns. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  3. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Only 4 teams have fewer losses than Derby and 4 other teams have the same number of losses. I expect they'll be playing for a nil-nil draw. The way Fulham run at the goal though, makes me think they won't get what they want.

BarryWhite, jumpkutz and MicahMan like this.
  4. jumpkutz

I think you’re onto something Evan. It means getting that first early goal, always a good idea, even more important against such tactics. And we’re just the guys to do it.

5. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Need more information on this but Rodak, Cairney, and Mitrovic were not named in the squad today. I realize a breather is necessary now and again, but to not even have them on the bench?!?

I guess it's time to see what Muniz will do with the spotlight.

6. daddude7

daddude7 Well-Known Member

Sounds like maybe Covid exposure.

7. sacffc

sacffc Well-Known Member

Saw the following on FOF:

Everyone calm, I’ve been told they’ve got Norovirus (Mitro, Cairney and Rodak) so should hopefully be a 24 hour thing.

Link: https://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=84037.0

MicahMan and stlouisbrad like this.
  8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, instead of wondering how we could get 24 shots in without scoring ... I'm just glad that we went 97 minutes without conceding.

Also, something good came out of The New Den today: Millwall equalized against Bournemouth and we're still top of the league!

BarryWhite, nevzter and stlouisbrad like this.
  9. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

The highlights, but sadly without GJ:

Missing three key players threw the original game plan for this one out the window. Derby is great defensively and Fulham couldn't do two things:
    a) Put enough shots on target
    b) Catch a break

Muniz was very disappointing. He seemed to have trouble getting anything on target, except for the one shot that took a heroic goal line effort to keep out. I had hoped he'd be an alternative if Mitrovic was injured or simply not in form, but he's not shown anything of value in his appearances for Fulham.

Fulham didn't get any favorable bounces that might have gone their way in some earlier matches. They hit the post a couple times and then just couldn't force the Derby keeper into making a mistake despite a shaky performance against Bournemouth.

I was shocked Knockeart came in, but I have to say he wasn't terrible. He helped set up a couple of good chances and didn't attempt his signature curling-effort-with-the-left-foot-shot-over-the-goal.

Despite the winning streak coming to an end, it was still another clean sheet and with Stoke losing while West Brom and Bournemouth drew there wasn't any changed in the relative position of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.

SoCalJoe, astroevan and nevzter like this.
  10. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I listened to the call of the first half on the Beeb - it was great to have Fulham live as I've missed most of the matches this campaign. It sounded like Fulham were bossing around great stretches of the half, but couldn't get the finish on net (either due to ineptitude or great tackles by Derby's backline). Anyway, the announcers were gushing on Fulham occasionally and I soaked it up because it's not something I'm accustomed to hearing.
    COYW

astroevan and MicahMan like this.
  11. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Silva said in the post game press conference that Mitrovic and Cairney were out due to a non-COVID illness that apparently hit other players this week too. Rodak was out due to COVID protocols after being around someone who came down with it.
    https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2021/november/24/post-derby-/

nevzter likes this.
  12. jumpkutz

I just have one question. What. The. Heck? I mean, I realize feces occurs, but there’s got to be some sort of FA or league rule or policy about reporting or disclosing such significant squad/roster conditions in a timely fashion. Injury or illness, it shouldn’t matter what the reason(s) are for players, especially multiple key players, to be unable to play, or even suit up. I seriously doubt Mitro, Rodak and TC suddenly started puking or feeling hot the morning of the match. And Rodak wasn’t afflicted like the other two. He had to quarantine due to possible COVID exposure, presumably on the plane back from the international break. In addition to promulgating at least the appearance of transparency, such information has a huge impact on the legal betting interests involved. Did you bet on a match based on odds assuming one team’s best player and starting keeper would, in fact, start? Sorry lads. Stick it in your ear. I’ll stop bitching now. We were good enough, and still should have won the match. And kept another clean sheet. Let’s hope the two points lost don’t come back to bite us on May 7th. Hope everybody gets completely well by the early kickoff Saturday at Deepdale. COYW! Get back on that winning horse!

nevzter likes this.
  13. jumpkutz

MicahMan likes this.
  14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, after watching the whole 2 minutes of highlights, it looked like good keeping from Derby, and a Fulham fatal attraction to woodwork that stopped us from walking all over them. I continue to be impressed that, once it seemed clear to all that luck wasn't with our attack, we still kept a clean sheet with our back-up keeper.

Folks, at some point this season we're going to get one point from three matches -- it has to happen to pretty much everyone that isn't Arsenal ten or so years ago. Being Fulham supporters, we're going to fret and lose sleep, but this is a different Fulham from any that I've seen in the last twenty or so years that I've been addicted to them. This Fulham can score goals WITHOUT leaving our defense bare. This Fulham when faced with the lost of their goal-scoring talisman, our team captain, and our keeper, still provided a credible attack and kept yet another clean sheet.

As we used to say in the 60s, "keep the faith, baby!"