FULHAM vs. Derby County

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by americanmike, Oct 15, 2007.

1. BC

BC New Member

RE: Re: RE: FULHAM vs. Derby County

WHAT? I look at the score and we DRAW WITH F***ING DERBY CO? That's it, I've lost it. We are going to be relegated. Or at least fighting relegation at the end of the year. This is ridiculous.

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Embarassing. In the understatement of the season thus far, we really need to pick it up or we are in some big trouble.

3. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Barf.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

as I said in the chat room this morning, for those of you relatively new to Fulham, today's match was what almost all season looked like. There was a lot of meandering around on the pitch, lost possession after one or two passes, and Niemi playing like a Super Hero to snatch us a point. One difference? Well, remember that last 10 minutes of pressure we put on them? Last year, more often than not, we got a goal. Last year we got two wins and three draws that I can remember when we didn't deserve any points at all. This year, it hasn't happened yet.

One question: in the unlikely event that we ever get a penalty called in our favor again, who's the guy most likely to step up?

Oh, by the way, we're up to 13th today [although we could drop back to 15th by the end of the weekend].

5. Roo1980

Roo1980 New Member

Having been to todays game, we played the worst I've seen all season. If we had played a decent team then I think we would have lost badly. Laurie made 5 changes from the last game, Kamara started instead of Healy, Neimi instead of Keller, Murphy instead of Smertin, Stefanovic instead of Bocanegra and Hyoen for Simon Davis.

For some bizzare reason, the referee kept giving free kicks to Derby that looked more like Fulham should have had them, although I have not watched the highlights yet.

Also it did not help our cause when Konchesky decided to get himself sent off, leaving us 1 man down at half time. Ironically (and as is the way when teams go a man down) we played a lot better in the second half and had enough chances to score but did not take them.

The main complaints I have are why will Sanchez never play Kamara and Healey at the same time (kamara came off for him) and why will Kamara never pass the ball, as he tends to keep hold of it too long and keeps on losing it.

I don't think it is either time to panic or call for Sanchez to be sacked as for the majority of our games we have played really well and been a tad unlucky. I think they need to work on attacking more and the finishing too.

Also remember this is quite a new team (only Neimi would have also been in the starting line up in a fixture this time last year and only Dempsey, Davis and Smertin had started a game at the end of last seaon (And Bocanegra was the only starter in the pompey game from this time last year and I don't count for today as he was a sub)) and still need a bit of time to gel properly.

6. Roo1980

Roo1980 New Member

The probable choice would be Healey, although Kamara and Murphy should be just as good and Bouazza has a mean shot.

7. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Indeed, good to see Niemi find his form again; that is a huge plus.

Still, reading the match reports makes me ill...freakin' Derby.

Kamara takes the penalty if he's on the pitch...otherwise, give it to Dempsey.

8. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: FULHAM vs. Derby County

had to do the same thing too. totally missed the Konchesky incident. we moved up the table though. should have beaten them though.

9. BarryP

BarryP New Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: FULHAM vs. Derby County

In my opinion moving up the table does not in any way keep this outcome from being a bad result. Any way you want to spin this tying with the worst team in the league at home is a bad result.

10. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Well I dont think I'll bother waiting for the 'replay' next time. As I misread the TV posting box.

Sad! Maybe I should just give up following footy altogehter... AAARGGH!

Somehow, though, there HAS to be a brighter day around the corner

11. TeaTimeAtHarrods

TeaTimeAtHarrods New Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: FULHAM vs. Derby County

well,well,well.my plea several months ago to get rid of Sanchez was met with an ample degree of derision.but here we stand-$50 million spent,struggling to compete with a selection of 'asthmatic ants on a shopping spree"(hello Derby) and i am compelled to repeat my original request.sanchez has no talent at this level.surely one who spends such enormous sums of money and delivers so little has to answer to a simple question of economics if nothing else.i think frankly he is out of ideas and team formations and Fayed must surely have his finger close to the Eject button-justifiably so.

12. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: FULHAM vs. Derby County

what the hell are you talking about?

13. terrinh73

terrinh73 Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: FULHAM vs. Derby County

It is a little reassuring that we did, indeed, move up (kinda predicted it before, considering who the midtable folks were playing this week), but we need a win. This should have been it...

The games tomorrow shouldn't affect us too much. My guess is that Newcastle will beat Tottenham...and West Ham v. Sunderland is a toss up. Worst case scenario is that West Ham v. Sunderland will have a winner (a win for either team would put them above us). A Newcastle win won't affect our standing and Tottenham would be at 10. If this occurs, we'd be 15th...sad- but better than 18th.

Please correct me if I am wrong...as I am wrong quite often :)

Still makes my stomach turn that we are at 8 points...

-T

14. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: FULHAM vs. Derby County

It goes without saying that it was a disappointing result and that our first half performance was crap. I left a minute before halftime to get a beer and what happens?? Konchesky gets sent off...I couldn't believe it, seriously, I was gob smacked that we went down to 10 men with an entire 45 minutes to go.

You can't fault our second half performance with 10 men, but we should've won anyway. As for the ref, that was the worst performance all year...how many times did Dempsey have a foul called on him when we was the one being pulled down? Ugh...

I take some comfort in moving up the table...sad but true. Gotta keep looking at the positives.

Finally, as for Sanchez, he has to sort things out as soon as possible. I do give him a bit of credit for having the balls to keep two up front when we went down to 10 men. COYW's

15. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Forget about the horrendous draw for a second, what in the hell are the options a LB?????? Konch is gone for 3 more games, I assume Boca is going to have to move out there and Stef will move to CB??

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Here's a puzzler for you, Mikey. Is there any connection between the fact that in the last two matches it seems to be impossible for the referee to call a foul committed against Dempsey, and the fact that no foul was called on him when his elbow broke the England captain's cheekbone? It does seem to me as if they're whistling the Texan almost every time he breathes in the last two matches.

Just a thought.

17. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

so i called my house on saturday during one of my frisbee games, and asked my mom what the score was. the convo went something like this:

"hey, whats the score"

"it says 0-0"

"WHAT? when did the game start? has it just started??"

"no, the website lists other scores. and fulham derby is 0-0"

"jesus christ"

absolutely pathetic. i'm not being a negative nancy, but we're done.

18. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

The best pre-match drinking session I've had yet. Met some great Fulham supporters, caught up with Mike, got some drinks in, great food and the anticipation of Fulham stomping Derby was in the air.

Unfortunately, the script for the match went rather differently. Derby looked the more dangerous side and Fulham's lackluster performance in the first half left me shaking my head. Seol you can pass the ball, Kamara in the name of all that is holy lift your head up, Davis what happened... you were making mistakes left and right and Konch... loss of words for you losing your head.

The approach to the second half was what I expected to see out of the side in the first half. They looked dangerous at times and actually showed some urgency. Dempsey got hosed a few times... Don may be on to something. Niemi was a wall and the reason Fulham got a point. Well done.

Mike... enjoy the trip to Sunderland and let me know how the M3 drives. Again, thanks for the hospitality at the Lion. Feel like I know everyone who walks through the door now.

19. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I watched the game on the Setanta online delay feed. Fulham actually didn't play that bad. They were dangerous at times, but Derby had some chances as well. Fulham was never out of it or being run over. The Setanta commentators were actually pleased with Fulham's effort in the second-half. Even down a man, Derby didn't look any more dangerous in the second-half than they did in the first-half.

Dempsey is getting better at playing up front as well.

Seol gave the ball away way too much. He holds on to it way too long and should look to pass more quickly.

Danny Murphy was mostly quiet and he should have scored with one of his efforts on goal.

20. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

The game was sad and disheartening to say the least. The ONLY reason we moved up the table was because all the right teams above us lost their matches.

This is unacceptable. We cannot hope for other teams to lose all the time for us to get by.

I'm hoping next week we take our agression out on ol' Sunderland and keep moving up.

Tis sad, but I still hate the long waits before games. I just love it way too much. lol.