Fulham vs Bristol Rovers - 3rd Round FA CUP

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by timmyg, Jan 3, 2008.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

It's good to point out that the boys were pretty much on their own out there. English fans complain that the influx of foreign players and managers has resulted in sides not giving enough importance to the FA Cup. Well, today there were 13,000 and change in the park, and the only section that was filled was the visitor's section. Fulham confirmed that more than 7000 seats were filled with Rovers' supporters. That means that our fans gave our boys' home field advantage away. Nice.

Just up the M1, however, despite the fact that their ground holds less than half of Craven Cottage, Luton drew nearly 11,000 for the visit of Liverpool. The very best of results came about. The Hatters drew 1-1 and will get the gilt-edged replay at Anfield. Today's payday and Tuesday week's payday may prove enough to actually put something in the player's and staff's pay packets -- they haven't been paid in several weeks. And full credit to Liverpool's owners who signed their visitor's share over to the home side to help keep the side afloat.

Timmyg's excellent article about the mixed fortunes of the FA Cup points out the pitfalls for clubs like ours, but for clubs like Luton, one 3rd round cup tie can make the difference between survival and disappearance.

On to the replays! COYW & Up the Town!

2. Lyle

Lyle New Member

The fact that hardly any Fulham fans showed up is pathetic. This is why Fulham really shouldn't be in the Premier League and maybe not even the Championship. Harsh, but true I think. And it makes me that more annoyed at many of Fulham's online fans who think Fulham somehow deserves great things.

I thought Fulham might would lose this game. So I'm happy they didn't. Yay!!! Away game will be tough with all the peasants from miles around Bristol pilgrimaging to whatever decrepit shed the Rovers play at so they can have at the rich and noble Fulham boys. Dempsey make actually get hoisted on a pitch fork or something if there's a pitch invasion at the end of the game. However, Chris Baird could probably disguise himself in the crowd and escape I think.

Should be a lot of fun.... with all of England pulling for the Rovers.

3. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Love your description of the Bristol faithful!

Lyle, I do take a little umbridge with your thinking Fulham fans. $30 for the ticket, $7 for the programme, £6 for a beer, $6 for a hot dog. $50 for a person to go to a game, where you are on a hiding to nothing and one that you have predicted us to lose. Why should any fulham fan get excited about going to watch a bunch of journeymen pro's try to defeat a lower league team. Especially when you consider that season ticket holders have to pay for their seat, so you lose some of your regulars.

Frankly, 7000 Fulham fans turining up to watch that durge is better than most would expect.

Part of the problem is money. The cup has lost its magic since most top and 2nd teir teams do not rely on gate recipts to maintain their finances so they often field weaken teams.

Palace put out a junior team. Wigan beat Sunderland with 7 changes.

Diciplinary points and red cards count in the league so some of the players are not as comitted as they should be. I would like to see cards affect only the competition they were gained in.

And finally, there is bugger all chance of anyone outside the top 6 or 7 teams winning the FA cup, the best we could hope for is a semi-final, so it all becomes a little pointless.

4. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Is that confirmed? I saw an article on soccernet on 5 Jan saying just the opposite, that the 'Pool was going to keep their share. Glad to see your boys are going to get another payday and be able to keep the lights on.

5. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

While 2-2 is not the result we were looking for, it's a fact of life in the FA Cup. This is the Bristol Rovers 'cup final', their biggest game of the year. For us it is pretty much meaningless, other than for Roy to get a look at the team. Its on a Sunday, against a shit team and Fulham and it's supporters have other things to worry about. I figured there would be around 14,000 at the ground due to what I've previously mentioned and that our club is in a lull.

With that said, Sunderland's ground was way less than half full, as were some of the other Prem grounds. Read GBFC post again, the FA cup has lost alot of its luster...another example how English football is losing it's soul.

Right, so...COYW's

6. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

I agree with English football (and sports in general) losing it/their soul, but the main problem is that every aspect of the sport has changed, except for the FA Cup. Yet the FA treats it like the end-all-be-all. Its impossible to see highlights, it costs way too much to attend, and isnt the winning pot only like 1-million pounds?

Add into the equation the big-4's hegemony and its like a predictable March Madness that gives programs a pat on the back as a reward.

7. hakeon

hakeon New Member

anyone have any thoughts or insights on Hodgson's performance? my (very distant) perspective was that there was little change from our SOP - is this accurate from those who had a chance to follow this game? if not, what was different? if so, is this (we hope) because Roy is still observing? or... gulp... something more like "meet the new boss... yada yada..."?

8. Hoppy

Hoppy New Member

Couple of comments, based on reading reports I hasten to add, rather than seeing the match.

Apparently we played a more passing game than under LS. Niemi is now throwing the ball more than punting it long, hence keeping possession more. Also coming off his line more. Spells of more attractive football. But given that RH has to work with the same players, there's a limit to what he can achieve in just his second match.

On the subject of support. "When I was a lad", winning the FA Cup was probably equal to winning the League. Now it is a poor relation. Clubs now get far more from the EPL via TV rights, sponsorhip etc. than they get from gate money. Therefore they don't regard the paying customer as particularly important. Yes it is a very expensive day out. I took my brother in law, my son and his two sons to Fulham v Wet Spam Christmas 06 when I was back in England for a holiday, and the tickets alone set me back over 100 quid (3 x kids under 12 were 10 quid each), plus train fares another 100 quid from Cambridge (public transport in UK is VERY expensive)- we took drinks and sandwiches to save being ripped off for food. So you can't really blame fans for not turning up for a match against a lower league team, which most EPL clubs are not taking seriously.

9. Fulhamburger

Fulhamburger New Member

When is the reverse fixture?

10. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I don't understand the ticket and t.v. schemes in England... but if I could, I'd lower prices to certain games, i.e., FFC v. Bristol Rovers. You might even make more money that way if you finaggle it just right.

The Premier League and FA need to go the German route and cheapertize their prices somewhat. This could happen because the EPL will dominate global football TV for years because it is the only league you can sell abroad because most people understand English.

It'll change I'm sure. As far as passion and attendance the Bundesliga blitzkriegs English football.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

a week from Tuesday.

12. Hoppy

Hoppy New Member

I believe the replay is Tuesday 15th.

13. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Next Round's draw

If we beat Bristol in the return leg, we now have to meet the winner between Swindon or Barnet away. Would be a fantastic away day (either way) for us so I hope we get past Bristol. Come on Fulham, I really want to go away to a lower league team.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Next Round

Here's the whole draw. Interesting as usual.

The Full Draw:

Arsenal v Stoke City/Newcastle
    Coventry v Walsall/Millwall
    Oldham v Huddersfield Town
    Swindon/Barnet v Fulham/Bristol Rovers
    Wigan v Chelsea
    Luton/Liverpool v Swansea/Havant & Waterlooville
    Southend v Barnsley
    Southampton v Norwich/Bury
    Man Utd v Tottenham/Reading
    Portsmouth v Plymouth
    Derby/Sheff Wed v Preston
    Watford vWolves
    Peterborough v Charlton/West Brom
    Sheff Utd v West Ham/Man City
    Mansfield v Middlesbrough
    Tranmere/Hereford v Cardiff

This is the best chance in a long time for us to make it to the 5th round. Regardless of what timmyg and others say [and say very well, by the way], I still think that a good cup run will help our confidence and get us some more money in. Ultimately, our best chance for European competition is making an FA Cup Final against a side that's going to finish in the top 3. We're not ready for that now, but a successful trip to the 5th round should perk everyone up a bit -- especially me! :D

So come on boys and win that replay on the 15th! :banana:

By the way, I contacted the club about the absence of live audio from the ground yesterday -- EVEN THOUGH THE CLUB ACCEPTED ONE-MATCH SUBSCRIPTIONS FOR THE CUP TIE -- and the lack of "live updates from the Cottage [even including lineups], although the feature was on the website and said "fulham v. Bristol Rovers."

I'll post here whatever I get back from the club.

15. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Re: Next Round's draw

I hope we get Barnett, Underhill is like a proper 4th division ground, and the likes we use to play at every week! It holds about 5 and half - 6 thousand. It also has teracing. The club itself is a similar age to us, but did not achieve football league status until the 1990's.

Edit: No disrispect to Bristol Rovers, but I am assuming we will beat them eventually.

16. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

RE: Re: Next Round

anyone that can tell us what actually happened at the match? I was unable to be in the chatroom. just looking for some highlights of the match, who played well, etc.

17. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

While I would gladly trade a 5th round appearance for 3 points vs the Spammers this week, the club, players, and the fans need a win BAD!!
    At this point I could care less if it comes against a non-league squad playing in a parking lot, we have to win A game and proceed from there.

I agree w/Don, while we have much bigger fish to fry in trying to save our status, winning 2 straight away matches would put a smile on a few faces around these parts and the further you go the more important the FA Cup will become.

18. Jensers

Jensers New Member

From Sky:

Danny Coles put the Pirates infront in the 3rd minute with a well-taken effort which curled past Antti Niemi's outstretched arm. But David Healy nodded home for the equaliser just before the interval.

Fulham looked the more likely to take the lead, however Paul Trollope's resurgent men had other ideas when Craig Hinton's head connected well with a Chris Lines freekick for 2-1.

However the Cottagers dug deep to level the scores thanks to a typical Danny Murphy pile-driver in the 73rd minute.

Good voice

The Pirates fans were in good voice from way before the start and almost raised the roof when Coles gave them the lead after two minutes and 48 seconds.

Fulham failed to clear a throw-in on the left and the ball bounced around in the area before Coles, on loan from Hull, pounced to hit a shot which took a wicked deflection to totally confound keeper Antti Niemi as it ricocheted into the net.

Fulham were stunned - and little less than a minute later could have been two down when, after good work by Coles, David Pipe was preparing to pull the trigger for a clear shot until Paul Konchesky's tackle took the chance away.

Fulham thought they had levelled in the 11th minute when Dejan Stefanovic headed down a deep right-wing cross from the right for Clint Dempsey to nudge past keeper Steve Phillips but referee Keith Stroud ruled a foul against the big Serbian defender on Rovers' Steve Elliot.

Inevitably, Rovers came under the cosh as Fulham, desperate to avoid more humiliation after a run of nine games without a win, exerted strong pressure but they closed ranks emphatically whenever there was danger and relieved the stress by almost snatching a second goal when, from Chris Lines' free-kick, Andy Williams skewered a cross-ball beyond the far post and just failed to pick out the lurking Coles.

Nine and often 10 men behind the ball continued to frustrate Fulham and there appeared to be little chance of a breakthrough as Phillips earned his corn with bravery and defiance behind a solid rearguard action.

But suddenly Rovers seemed to lose their discipline and, following a spate of robust exchanges which referee Keith Stroud struggled to control, Healy was gifted the equaliser by an appalling clearance from Aaron Lescott, older brother of Everton's Joleon.

Murphy's law

Moritz Volz's measured cross was perfect for Healy, the man who is so prolific as a marksman for Northern Ireland, to head deftly home for only his fifth Fulham goal.

Fulham started the second half brightly and Murphy, probably their best player, was just wide with a worthy effort but Rovers striker Andy Williams stung Niemi's palms before Hinton rose unopposed in a crowded penalty area to head the League One team back in front again on 64 minutes.

Naturally, they reverted to their defensive action again and had to see out the last few minutes with some desperation after Murphy's glorious strike but substitute Sean Rigg was the nearest to a decider, demanding another fine stop by Niemi.

19. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

20. Fern72

Fern72 Member

I 'm with HatterDon, i will take win over anyone at this point. I know we should have beat this side more easily, but look at Newcastle, their lucky to walk away with a draw. I watched that match, and Stoke City was really good.

Let's go Fulham, we have your back and i know a win will be coming our way.