Fulham vs Arsenal [R]

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by timmyg, Jan 17, 2008.

1. jmh

jmh New Member

One forward might cut it if it's McBride or someone else who can win headers and supported by two attacking wings who can also put the ball away, but Dempsey supported by Seol and Davies playing on his wrong wing isn't going to scare anybody.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

we played our worst football last season when CC used a 4-5-1 with McBride up front. It was just Brian winning ball after ball and nobody there to capitalize on it.

I've just finished watching my DVR and i'm calm enough to talk about this. Some thoughts.

1. People who joined the site after November 2006 must be wondering what all the hubbub about Jimmy Bullard was. He surrendered possession every time he had the ball, his dead ball kicks were useless [you've got Murphy and Davies; wait until he's fully fit], but then there was that 70 yard track back to dispossess the Gooners in our penalty area, and you get a hint.
    2. Seol looked pretty good during the first half, then lost his way.
    3. Volz played well, but still doesn't look 100% to me.
    4. While the only person I can think of that might have outclimbed Adebayor on his two goals was Michael Jordan, I was wondering who nailed Niemi's feet to the goal line on those two goals and a couple of other Arsenal attacks. As stated above, his hesitancy to claim a ball that was clearly his resulted in getting his nose bashed in.
    5. The Claus Jensen memorial award for greatest second half disappearing act goes to -- Simon Davies.
    6. Poor ol' Clint. Class + graft + pace, but Fulham's only two strikers healthy and able to play started on the bench.
    7. During the first 15 minutes, we challenged every ball and were quick to close down every forward, but then our opponents remembered that they were Arsenal and the authors of the best football in the EPL hands down.

Guys, we're just not good enough to play football with Arsenal. We beat them last year with Thierry Henry on the pitch, but this year, we just aint good enough.

Speaking of which, anybody else pissed when the FSC guy said, just before the kickoff, that the 2-1 victory over Arsenal last season was "Lawrie Sanchez's third match in charge?" What was the guy thinking?

3. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

I know! As pettyfog and others can attest, I was livid at Niemi in the chatroom. His not even motioning for the ball sent a message throughout the rest of the stadium.

I cant remember the exact statements Christian Miles and his honcho said, but they were so factually incorrect it was appalling. Maybe FSC should just become "The Big Four Network" because they obviously don't do any research, or even focus really, on any other clubs.

4. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I actually wasn't that disappointed with the performance today.

How many teams limit Arsenal to 11 shots, of which only 4 were on goal? We played decent defense against a great side. They're first two goals were not "Arsenal goals" but were "English goals" accomplished via a 6'5" striker who has NBA level "hops." Other than that, I felt we frustrated Arsenal's short passing game - in that respect, it was one of our best defensive efforts.

Yes, we were outclassed in the midfield, but I still prefer the build-up to longball that Sanchez played.

Use that same formation, with a fit Bullard in the middle, Brede at the back, King or McBride up top, Dempsey on the right, and Davies on the left, and we could have gotten something out of this game.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

It's hard to describe what a leveller a healthy, on-form Brian McBride is. He just flat unsettles defenses, and either makes the opponents play less well or make us play better.

6. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Speaking as one who joined the Fulham maddness after Jimmy's injury I saw signs of what looks like a talented player who suffered from a serious lack of pitch time. His first touch today was poor and his passing to be honest was awful but that did not phase me because the man has not played in eighteen months. Personally I watched his movement and the idea behind his passes and you can color me impressed. Vision is something you cannot teach and I can already tell Jimmy has it spades.

7. Meggrs

Meggrs New Member

Amen, Hallelujah, and please let McGod return ASAP. Pleeeeeese. Clint supporting McBride I can get behind. And in reference to your earlier comment about trying McBride in a 4-5-1, Don, I agree 100%. The guy functions at his topmost with an intelligent strike partner, not as a solo artist, so get him back on the field, get a good quality striker that reads him well alongside, and let Dempsey do what he does best from the mid.

If wishes were nickels, I could buy myself a small coffee...

8. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

the word you used that stands out to me is "movement". Bullard's touch was off and his passing was horrendous, but he moves into open positions to aid under pressure teammates so they have an escape clause. Once he gets fully fit and regains his touch, everyone will see what a gem he is especially in a passing system. I'm excited Bullard is back. Let's get him out there for 65 minutes against Bristol Rovers (assuming it's on Tuesday...I don't know). also...time for Danny Murphy to pick splinters out of his arse from riding the pine. He's not good enough.

9. psand22

psand22 Member

It'll make a world of difference, when #20 comes back. Hopefully, he'll back to his usual self and we'll have some one on the pitch for him to knock it down to. Maybe Healy will be able to find his form?

The game played out how I expected it to. RH tried to pack the MF to give the leaky back four some help, but it didn't work for long. Our hopes of a point were shot to hell, by Birm last week - when they stole a point. There was no way, there would be a let down from them yesterday.

I was debating to not shave until we won another game in PL, but my wife shot that down quickly. The poor thing, had heard me mumble our stats on the road the last 3 years, but she couldn't believe we'd only won twice this year. She does her best to act like she's listening / care.

10. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

I'd settle for Heidar Helguson at this point. I'm still disappointed that we sold him, though at the time we were supposed to be getting Ljuboja (btw-it appears that he's still available - woy, are you listening?).

I think the 4-5-1 helped to some degree, we did limit their chances. Stefanovic is hit or miss against big strikers - he mostly dominated Kenwyne Jones at Sunderland, but he hat lots of trouble with Adebayor (and Dean Ashton last week). Bocanegra might have fared better, but I wouldn't hold my breath. It did make me feel a little better knowing that Brede Hangeland is just the kind of player who could have prevented the two Adebayor goals.

11. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

That was the first time I saw Bullard play and I'm positive that you guys are right about him. But the point is that it will take a long time for him to get back into form. And then when McBride comes back I'm sure it will take him some time to get back into form. And both of them may never return to the form they were in before their injuries.

They will never be 100% of what they used to be...it is impossible. They are older and won't be able to make the plays with their body that their mind is telling them to or thinking they can. It's just how it works. That said.....I'd still take a 75% Brian McBride and Jimmy Bullard over anybody else on this team. I just hope that they both return to form and can contribute to the campaign before it is too late.

And can somebody please tell me how or why Seol is getting so much crap for his play today? I really wanna know if I am missing something glaring. This is th first time I saw him so I think I may be the only one without a bias perspective. For most of the first half he looked like our best threat on Arsenal's goal, cause God knows Murphy wasn't gonna give us anything, he had three shots at it and finished like my 12 year old sister.

Hopefully King and the Giant will be ready for Bristol on Tuesday so we can get a good lineup set for our match at Bolton. Huge game coming up on Tuesday and a monumental game a week from Tuesday.

12. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

Having watched the game against Arsenal this past weekend I think I can truly say this has got to be the worst performance by any Fulham side I have ever watched, to sum up quite easily, I think it’s fair to say there is No Passion No Commitment and No team work within this side, it also frustrates me when I hear commentators refer to certain players leaving if this team goes down to the Championship what commitment is that, getting Bullard and McBride back will make this side a better side but lets not kid ourselves here these two players wont be able to keep this side from relegation, the writings been on the wall for several season now and this year it will happen.

A friend of mine just sent me an email who like me was born and breed in Fulham, he states that the main reason this side is made up of Championship players is because Fulham wont pay Premiership wages and the only players attracted to the club is the fact that it’s is in the Premiership but pays Championship pay, how true that is I don’t know but it certainly makes sense to me.

For those of you giving Bullard a hard time, give him a chance the man has been away from the Premiership for some 16 months I think it is and now you want the old Bullard back, wait till McBride comes back you all think he’s going to score a hat-trick in he’s first game back, I hope you give him the same remarks as your giving Bullard if he don’t.

I have Fulham in my Veins and hope and pray we don’t go down but I’m thinking realistically here and know what I see aint good.

I would also like to add and I know it will upset some of you but If I picked the team Stefanovic and Boco wouldn't even make the reserves.

13. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

Did you watch the same game as me? you got to be Kidding me, Fulham was terrible, out played never fought and never competed for anything.

14. jlough

jlough New Member

I thought we played OK, with a few exceptions, and possiblity to the best of our capabilities against one of the five best teams in the world. The new signee, Hangeland, will help in central defense. No one is capable of competing in the air in the central defense and it cost us two goals, taking us out of the game. Only Boca is good in the air, but he is too short to be our best. The 4-5-1 kept us in the game, until the second goal, but gave Dempsey no chance for success. At that point, do you throw caution to the wind and risk a 6-0, which could hurt confidence even more, or stick to the game plan.
    Bullard instead of Davis from now on, assuming he can improve his fitness in short order. Volz is an improvement. Roy gave Soel a chance because he worked so hard last time out, but he reverted to his old form (second half especially). Neimi makes great saves, but he does not organize the Defense and stays rooted to the spot. Keller could be a short term solution if he is fit.
    Hopefully, a win in the FA Cup at Bristol will give the team a lift. Also, Johnson's and/or King's pace will help up front, assuming Johnson gets his Permit on Wednesday and King passes the medical hurdles. A critical time coming up with Bolton and Boro on the road in the next three matches. MUST WINS. Come on Fulham!!!

15. ChicagoFan

ChicagoFan New Member

Er, no reason or anything -- purely out of curiosity, of course -- but has anyone ever heard of a good way to dry the inside of a Sony flat-panel which hypothetically might have been subject to a soaking from some hypothetical tequila and perhaps a few shards of hypothetical flying glass? Purely hypothetically speaking, of course.

16. jmh

jmh New Member

Blow-dryer?

17. BarryP

BarryP New Member

There are those commercials for shammie cloths on FSC ... oh wait you would need the hypothetical flat screen to get the number.