Fulham visits Brighton

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by astroevan, Oct 27, 2023.

1. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

So I’ve been out of the loop for a few weeks with the international break and life. I haven’t even watched the Tottenham highlights (though I can guess what I’ll see based on the reports). Anyway, Fulham head to the AmEx this Sunday, 10am EDT on Peacock.

Brighton have been having an up and down season and only have one point from their last three league matches (though those matches were against Aston Villa, Liverpool and Manchester City). Unfortunately, the pessimist in me is saying “well nothing cures a team’s ails quite like a Fulham match”. Fulham still haven’t figured out who is going to score, so we might be looking at another 0-2 defeat.

On the other hand, outside of the teams in the relegation zone, Brighton has allowed the most goals (18 in 9 matches). So maybe, just maybe, Brighton is the match that cures Fulham’s ails. In that case, I think we’re looking at a 3-2 victory.

Tune in Sunday to find out….

SoCalJoe, nevzter and MicahMan like this.
  2. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

I have also flipped back and forth thinking about Fulham's chances against Brighton. I'll feel better about the odds if Iwobi gets the start. I wouldn't mind seeing an entirely different attacking midfield with Iwobi, Cairney, and Wilson but I doubt there will be that dramatic of a change.

Brighton loves to press and if Fulham hasn't figured out what to do with Bassey on the right side of central defense it will be another horror show for him since Diop and Tosin are still out. And it seems like Tosin has a legitimate injury based on Silva's recent updates. Some prior messages from the club left me feeling like he had just decided not to play.

Fulham has never been defeated by Brighton in the Premier League and did the double on them last season. Brighton was the only team that did not defeat Fulham in the 2018-19 season. Despite Fulham's history of success and Brighton's recent dip in form, I think they finally get a win against Fulham on Sunday because Fulham still can't score.

SoCalJoe and nevzter like this.
  3. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

A tale of two halves. We were almost unwatchable in the 1st half. Robinson had a rough game but had that clutch clearance late. Jimenez is basically useless out there. We have got to get someone new.

I can't stand the guy who was doing color commentary. He says painfully obvious things and acts as if he's providing groundbreaking insight.

nevzter, MicahMan and SoCalJoe like this.
  4. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

I hope you didn't bet against the pink kit Tim!

A game of two halves (oops jinx @stlouisbrad - you said the same thing while I was still typing!) Fulham was generally terrible in the first half and lucky to only be down a goal. It wasn't shown in the highlights, but they were also lucky Palhinha didn't get a red card for an elbow he threw. I didn't think it was as clear-cut red card foul as the commentators did, but I certainly wouldn't have been surprised if he was sent off.

Fulham looked much better in the second half as they applied more pressure and finally started keeping possession. It felt like Fulham might find a way to score, but it still caught me off guard when Palhinha pivoted and put the ball into the net. I was almost equally surprised when I saw Luigi partying with the Fulham fans after the score!

Robinson had a few bad moments today, but that header off the line late in the game was just as valuable as scoring a goal. Jimenez really did nothing but whine although Willian really did miss a chance for him. I won't be surprised if we don't see him again. (And is that a double jinx @stlouisbrad :D)

The highlights if you need em':

nevzter and stlouisbrad like this.
  5. tim

tim Active Member

He was awful (color guy).

nevzter likes this.
  6. tim

tim Active Member

Thankfully, I didn’t take that bet. But could you blame if I did.

As for the match, we were lucky to get out of there with a point. When I saw the replay of Palhinha’s elbow, I thought for sure it was a red.

Possible they look at it again and give him a ban? Can they do that?

7. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Well, it seems that the actual match landed somewhere between my two estimates. Figures.

The commentary was awful. I get it that you played professional football, but that doesn't mean that you know everything that everyone is thinking, feeling, or trying to accomplish. Too much of his opinion forced upon the viewer.

I keep waiting to see if they can retroactively judge Palhinha's challenge. Hopefully not, because I'd be afraid that reputation may play some part. But that's the way he plays.

I don't know if it was the plan all along, but the hold them at bay in the first half and pressure/attack in the second half seemed to work. Brighton had no answer once Fulham ratcheted up the pressure. The subs were well timed and used in my mind as well. Though I'm still holding out for a striker this January. There is very little threat produced by our trio of nines.

MicahMan likes this.