Fulham v. Wigan

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by americanmike, Apr 21, 2006.

1. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

FULHAM play their penultimate home match against a Wigan side still holding on to faint hopes of European qualification from a first top flight campaign in the club's comparatively short League history.

The Cottagers are chasing a 12th home victory of the campaign. Only the top six clubs also have double figures in the home wins column of the Premiership table. Chris Coleman is hoping his side avoid a 50th Premiership defeat since he took permanent charge, especially as his club need five more points from their four remaining fixtures to avoid this being their lowest ever points return from a Premiership campaign, and a lowest ever finish after ending in 13th, 14th, ninth and 13th in the last four years.

The club based on the banks of the Thames are unbeaten in seven home League encounters with Wigan (won five, drawn two).

WIGAN ATHLETIC renewed hopes of Uefa Cup soccer with Tuesday's 3-2 home win over Aston Villa, but their fate depends on a whole series of favourable permutations and the League results of other clubs. They've managed just one win in five Premiership outings.

While all but four of Fulham's 39 Premiership points have been picked up on home soil at Craven Cottage, the Latics have notched one more victory on their League travels than they have at the JJB (eight to seven) and accumulated 27 points on the road, and only 24 in front of their home fans.

The Latics have won only one of 12 League visits to Fulham. Their 1-2 third tier success in west London on 18 September 1990 helped achieve their only previous 'double' over the Cottagers. But it would happen again here if all three points were secured. Athletic beat Fulham at the JJB in October through an injury time goal from defender Pascal Chimbonda.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Well a Monday afternoon match means I get to skip out of school early, take the day off my janitor's job :D , hop on the bus and watch the game in Minneapolis! I love these Monday afternoon "dentist appointments". Unless of course they end up like the Liverpool drubbing. I'd take fluoride over that any day.

As for the game 2-2 draw goals from Diop and McBride.

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am big fan of these Monday night games. I enjoy watching night Premiership matches. I am not sure why, but I do. I would like to see the boys come out and put on a great performance on Monday. I think they will play okay, but with Wigan still gunning for Europe, I expect a share of the points with a 1-1 draw.

4. rumstove

rumstove New Member

Wigan are having some central defense injury problems at the moment so maybe Fulham can exploit that. I think I predicted a 1-1 draw for my picks in that 'I Know The Score' game on the premierleague website, but I wouldn't be surprised by a 2-1 Fulham win.

5. americanmike

Re: RE: Fulham v. Wigan

Hey Tom. If you love watching Fulham night matches, wait until you go to one. The only one I had ever been to was the win over Tottenham where Boca scored the injury time winner. AMAZING!

Plus, the cottage has cool lights.

6. FulhamCubin

FulhamCubin New Member

RE: Re: RE: Fulham v. Wigan

Well I'm going to the match Monday night and I'm pumped to see a night game at the cottage.

Last week against Charlton I predicted McBride to score 3 and I was a little off but I'm gonna predict it again...McBride gets the hat trick :wink:

7. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

RE: Re: RE: Fulham v. Wigan

Sorry, that's a sucker bet considering his team ethics... only way McBride EVER will take a hat-trick is if he's extremely 'in the groove' AND Fulham are tied or behind.

8. americanmike

Re: RE: Re: RE: Fulham v. Wigan

You lucky, lucky guy. I wish I could be there. Probably won't be a packed house since the Wigan fans have to travel so far and Monday nights are tough to get to for people who work.

I'll be there in spirit!!

9. americanmike

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Fulham v. Wigan

I see the line up as follows for Fulham:

------------Niemi--------------
    Liam -- Knight -- Pearce -- Bridge

Steeeed -- Bouba -- Pembo -- Boa

--------HH -- McBride---------

-------------------------------------------------

I would like to see:

Niemi

Liam -- Boca -- Goma -- Bridge

Brown -- Steed --- Bouba -- Boa

HH -- Mcbride

Brown is out so not happening but I always loved the Boca and Goma combo. Boca was really coming to terms with regard to his position awareness when playing with Goma and the results showed. Fulham only went on losing streaks when Knight was put it.

Thats my rant. COME ON YOU WHITES.

10. DCDave

DCDave Member

According to Cookie, Boca is still out. :(

11. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

YOU MUPPET!

What am i chopped liver? I've been to the West Ham loss in West Ham this year, some gay guy going by AmericanMike was there constantly putting his arm around me. IT WAS ALSO A NIGHT GAME... he also went to the Luftus Road match against 'Boro years back starting his fulham fanship...

Geez mike... to many 'Turbo Shanties'?

12. DCDave

DCDave Member

Good game. We're officialy safe now, I think, and then played pretty well (at least from the 45th minute on). What place do you think we can get?

13. DCDave

DCDave Member

GJ and the future of the broadcasts

Wierd closeout of the broadcast from GJ. He was talking about hoping to doing these commentaries next year, although he has not heard anything from the club yet.

He sounded like he had a reason to believe that there was a chance they wouldn't bring him back (or maybe even have the broadcasts). Anyone have any scoop?

(BTW, the "hte" typos are not mine--the computer is changing my entries to "hte".)

14. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Re: GJ and hte future of hte broadcasts

Sure, pinko commie nazi.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: Re: GJ and hte future of hte broadcasts

actually, even the signature is $%#$@. Weirdest little worm I ever saw!

16. Zack

Zack New Member

just to get in on the fun.....THE

GRRRREAT TO see 3 Prem Points...had to work so only caught second half, but still loved seeing the Monday Night Football!!!!! Think Hank Williams Jr. will be up for a Premiership promo song for next year???...im JOKING!!!!

:lol:

17. americanmike

Great win and although we were outplayed the first half, its nice to see the boys put up a fight in the second half and take all three points off of wigan!!!

18. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

RE: Re: GJ and hte future of hte broadcasts

I think we should meet this GJ issue head on. He better come back, he's my favorite reason for listening instead of ordering it on PPV.

ie "YOU CLOWN!"

I might have to make a post of this. There are a few games left, perhaps we'll hear something else this weekend at Manchester.

19. americanmike

Re: RE: Re: GJ and hte future of hte broadcasts

I'm with you on this one brotha!!

20. DCDave

DCDave Member

Re: RE: Re: GJ and hte future of hte broadcasts

I am too. As I've said before, GJ bugs me a bit with his constant ref moaning, but he (and his quirks) is ours.

I don't know what's going on--it might just be GJ's insecurities showing through, but it was a strange ending to the broadcast, enough to raise a concern. Did anyone else hear it, and if so, do you agree with me?