Fulham v Tottenham

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Jensers, Dec 20, 2009.

1. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

We definitely had more of the chances, although Spurs came up with two great ones of their own (Crouch). We should have taken this one, but credit where it's due, both keepers were large when they had to be. Thought Dempsey was man of the match. He won an inordinate number of balls for us today, and played a large role in both creating/taking chances and in keeping possession.

Everyone looked pretty solid except maybe Hangeland, who looked out of sorts and had a "Konchesky moment" where he almost cost us a goal with a bad giveaway. Baird provided good steel in the middle and Bob was Bob, being a handful for Tottenham's cb's. Thought PK and Dempsey did a good job keeping Lennon under wraps but still getting forward and contributing offensively.

Aside from the opening 10 min and the 10 min after Defoe/Modric came on Tottenham looked fairly well content to defend and hold for the 0-0 draw. They were solid in the back and almost completely shut us down on the wings. Not hard to see why Keane can't find the pitch. His most memorable appearance was his nuclear boots at the opening kickoff.

A point is better than none, the unbeaten run is at 8. Bring on chelsea, who according to the announcers today, will be w/o Drogba, Anelka and Kalou.

2. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

I completely agree that Fulham looked better on the field; they had the best chances; and Gomes was great in net. However, I'm concerned that they couldn't punch one past Gomes to get the win. Deserved doesn't count in the table and if the goal is to stay up in the top 10, stay in contention for other European competition, and so forth, then these are the games to win instead of draw.

Though in the bigger picture, that Fulham looked good against a quality opponent and I'm thinking about wins instead of draws in those games is a big sign of improvement.

3. Jensers

Jensers New Member

This was not the classic I was hoping for, but it was not terrible either. I am happy with the draw just from a personal standpoint, but I would have liked to see it end 3-3 and not 0-0.

Gomes has been in good form and he showed it again today - other than his odd desire to punch when he should catch.

Keane was terrible, and Lennon was swarmed instantly.

I am not sure what was up with Hang? I know he fell in warm-ups, but he refused to come off. I dont know if that was the right choice or not because he is needed. I hope he didnt do any long-term damage.

All in all Fulham looked dangerous. I thought bringing on Johnson was going to bring the goal - I wonder why they didnt give him a few minutes... Perhaps the introduction of Defoe and Modric prevented it.

4. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

5. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Gomes did sack up, and so did Schwarzer -- it's always great to see stellar play between the sticks. I was disappointed with the result today, but at the same time, it was a great 0-0 draw, one of the best that I remember seeing. I thought Murphy and Dempsey played well in the midfield, and I think that I am going to have to make an overdue apology for every nasty thing I ever said about Chris Baird -- and that is a long list indeed. He's getting better and better in the HM role, I'll take him over 75 percent of the HMs in the league right now.