Fulham v Swansea

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by SoCalJoe, Nov 20, 2013.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Well, who thinks the team will be reinvigorated after the Int'l break? Cue the cricket sounds.

The Swans aren't lighting it up as much as last season, but some of that can be attributed to those Thurs. Europa games followed by Prem matches on Sun, Unfortunately, they should be fresh and ready to go.

2. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

Hoping for a Fulhamish result

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I expect nothing.

4. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

While there isn't a Europa hangover going into this one, Swansea also tend to struggle coming out of int'l breaks. Of course, Fulham are probably a good cure for that. Like Don, my expectation level is nil. The only optimism I can muster is a curiosity to see how we look now that Muelensteen's been appointed. It's likely too early to get a read on anything, but I'm hoping we show some signs of life and indications of change.

5. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Dang, this is a nihilistic thread (save for jimsig's optimism).

Oh yeah, they'll likely be nothingness on Saturday...again.

6. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

looking forward to sleeping in and just waking up to see the result and moving on with the day.

7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Moving house on Saturday, so will not be able to watch. Like Aggie, just hoping there are some signs of change.

8. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Knowing what we do re: advanced stats, I'm actually curious to see how this game plays out.

We all know Fulham give up a LOT of shots while not taking many ourselves. Well, Swansea has a bad shooting% and save% (both 17th), yet their TSR is 6th (we're 20th).

I don't really know what to make of that, other than this is either going to be a 0-0 or a 3-3.

9. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

So, is FulhamUSA Stillwell?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgAsNtmlQJU

10. SoCalJoe

:clap: Great scene from a great movie Heather. Nev, the use of the word nihilistic brought to mind a famous interview between the late Howard Cosell and Muhammad Ali about the word 'truculent'. Found the clip, great stuff from Cosell throughout, but skip ahead to the 7:00 mark for the interchange;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90NQD-XcYlQ

As for the match, the home support needs something to cheer about early in the match since most probably have the same attitude we have going into it.

11. nevzter

12. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Yes, but do they have the cahones to play him? Doubtful.

13. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Being named to the 25 man squad doesn't mean he'll even make the bench, much less play. Mesca was named last spring, flew to Newcastle and another match and never made the bench. Makes me wonder if they think Dembele is ready or if this is just a ploy to get him to stay.

Nev, I don't know that Jim saying a win over Swansea at the Cottage would be Fulhamish is optimistic. Seems rather nihilistic as well to me.

14. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f6l1QljpMo[/youtube]

15. SoCalJoe

Thank goodness for the shared frustration and good time in the chat or the pain of watching us play would be too much. No surprise whatsoever, and it was nice to see Parker's great goal, but as Matt said we might as well have rented out the wide spaces for grazing animals since we were giving the Swans those areas. Shelvey's match winner was a good strike for sure, but no one with the courage or willingness to sacrifice to block it. On to Upton park and a probable 6th straight loss, but NO NEED to make a change :roll: :lol: :angry-banghead:

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

17. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

We're only going into December with a transfer window upcoming so it is not too late to recover but it is easy to feel queasy as a Fulham fan at the moment.

18. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

finally saw most of a match. What a mess. We have the players but not the team. Whose fault is that? It's not rocket science. The way Mark Hughes left was bad, but I liked him as a coach and I miss him now when I watch Stoke. Cant believe I just said that, but it's true. This is a bad situation that has now become a disaster. Two coaches we need to be rid of and a club that is apparently too afraid to do it. I feel sick.

19. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Meh. We haven't fared well against Swansea since they've been promoted. Excluding that rather fluky 3-0 win in Swansea in last season's finale, they've won 2-0, 3-0, 2-1, and now 2-1. Saw some somewhat promising stuff yesterday, so don't think this is the end of the world we're making it out to be. But hey doom and gloom in November is easy to latch onto.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfR4OIDuvPc[/youtube]

20. nevzter

Given the musical accompaniment of this thread post-defeat, yet again, I need to add this. I could not see any improvement in the squad. I did think Sidwell worked his arse off once he came on, and DeJong looked like shite, but those are defensive midfielders. Were there strikers out there? Just walk on by...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO073fekFfA[/youtube]