Fulham v. Sunderland

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, Nov 15, 2012.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Maybe someone can enlighten me on how the FA decides on suspensions. I assumed it was an automatic 3 match ban on a straight red, unless there was an appeal filed.

Didn't get home until after the match was over, so already knowing the result, I've only watched the red card. First it was set up by the poor pace on the back pass, that caught Brede by total surprise. His shock reaction was to leave to ground with both feet (which is what got him the card). However, the Sunderland player wasn't close to him yet, his studs were on the ground when he won the ball (he didn't contact the top of the ball). Extremely harsh and obviously changed the match.

2. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I have to respectfully disagree with the above posts - Brede's challenge was worthy of a straight red. It was a stupid challenge by Brede - not necessarily dangerous, but stupid. He went in two-footed and there's been a (lackluster) mandate over the past couple of years to stop two-footed challenges.

And what's with the hamstring injuries? You gotta be kiddin' me! Ruiz and Kaca seem to be rather fragile - Ruiz certainly.

Does anybody else think that the quality of player surrounding Berbatov hampers his ability? He is so damn classy - the others sometimes don't anticipate his movement and/or passing - there were a few times where he wanted the ball back on a 1-2 and would've been clear to shoot but the Fulham player didn't play it that way. Hopefully that wrinkle can be worked out - loved the fact he kept coming back through the midfield to grab the ball after the sending off, but wish he didn't have to do it...

That being said, Fulham still had their chances despite being down to 10. Sidwell and Petric each missed 1 on 1 chances with the keeper and the 3rd Wigan strike was sublime - nothing to be done about that one.

COYW

3. SteveFakeBlood

SteveFakeBlood Member

Broward County , FL (from DuPage County, IL)
    Before the match, it'd be crazy to say that losing 3-1 to a 16th place team that hasn't won away in 9 months was a "decent loss", but all things considered it wasn't a poor performance.

- I will respectfully disagree with Nevzter. As the commentators noted it was within "the letter of the law" about two-footed challenges, so it's understandable how he got a straight red- the fact that he won all ball and there was no real malice or intent on the challenge. It was a desperate challenge, it was two-footed and from the referee's angle it probably looked worse than it was. Still, he should've given a bit of thought before immediately pulling out a red card.

- I agree with what the Guardian said about Sunderland's goals. They from a pretty great pass from Adam Johnson (and a nice touch on it from Fletcher), a corner when Petric was recovering on the sideline (and hence had an even worse numerical disadvantage) and an absolutely brilliant goal from Sessegnone. That obviously doesn't minimize their effect, but they should be chalked up more to Sunderland's credit than our failures. Related, while Sidwell waited too long to pull the trigger and made the goalkeeper's job easier than it should've been- I can only say the save of the Pertic one-on-one shot was fantastic.

Overall, it was great to see the amount of tenacity they still displayed all match rather than phoning it in. The red card and injuries put us in a poor place and all credit to Sunderland for taking advantage of them. Although, it's disheartening to not have earned three points in the last four matches (and it feels even longer than that...). Unfortunately, I don't see three points in the near future, either. Stoke Away always seems to be a stumbling block for us and Chelsea Away and Spurs and Newcastle at the Cottage will all be pretty tough- especially without the likes of Kaca or Ruiz. Then again, there's no way we should've lost to Sunderland at home. That's why they play the games, right?

~ Steve