Fulham v Stoke, Match thread for the Leg-breakers

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, Feb 8, 2012.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I can't believe there's no match thread for the Stoke City match. Not on live TV, so I'll be making a guest appearance in the chatroom at 0900 South Texas time, while listening to Gentleman Jim's fashion report on the radio over on FulhamTV. Don't ask.

Will we have a striker healthy by then? Will Jol field Pavel Pog without giving him a single practice with the club? Will Jol resign to take over as England manager. Don't know. But here's what I'd like to see:

----------------------------- Stockdale ----------------------------

Kelly ---------- Senderos ----------- Hangeland ---------- Rise

-------------- Etuhu ---------------Murphy -----------------------

---------- Ruiz ------------- Dembele ----------- Deuce --------

------------------------------- Sa ---------------------------------

Now I must go do research for my match preview later today.

:banana-guitar: -- dang, that thing is addicting!

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

3. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Glad Huth's out. I hate offensive defenders....unless they play for us, of course!

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I like Stockdale, but I feel a whole lot better w/the big Aussie between the pipes. I would expect Pog to get a 30 minute run out in the second half, but hoping that there is another forward getting some playing time (I think AJ is still dinged, but a Sa or Trotta sighting would be nice). Also hoping that the one true LB we have in the squad actually plays.

5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Big shock AJ is still hurt, but one I wasn't expecting is Senderos being out. Which begs the question w/the likes of Couch and Jones (off the bench) who will partner w/Hangs? Hughes looked like he hadn't played in months v Everton so do you throw Bairdinho in there and Riise back at LB? or does Jol go back to the Thames Barrier and hope Stoke doesn't have free headers all afternoon?

Playing golf manana so will be checking the score on my phone and hoping to do a little :banana-linedance: jig on the course.

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Ugh. I always have this optimism that Fulham can win all their matches. I know that's not realistic, but it's the fan in me that has this hope that something will go their way. But with Senderos out, Hughes not looking very good in his previous match, and perhaps no true forward until the 75th minute or so...I'm not feeling great about this match. 3 pts. will put my relegation battle fears at bay, so please win this match Fulham!!!

7. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Lawro's prediction:

Fulham v Stoke

Fulham didn't really turn up at the Etihad Stadium last Saturday evening and Manchester City saw them off far too easily in the snow. As we know, however, the Cottagers are a different proposition at home.

Stoke are not particularly great on the road but I do worry about where Fulham's goals are going to come from and I think the Potters might just nick the points here. I don't think it will be a game for the purists, either.

Prediction: 0-1

I may vomit if Fulham lose this match. But I agree with 'where will the goals come from?'

8. jumpkutz

Even though we're home, the prospect of similar weather, or worse, than we failed to effectively deal with at City gives me considerable pause about our chances to beat Stoke. I've said it before, but SOMEBODY in the forward/striker brigade needs to step up and stay there for the balance of the campaign, starting NOW. As has been pointed out here and elsewhere, as great as he is, Clint is not really a striker. Forcing him to play there out of necessity is inexcusable at this level. It's time for whoever is fit amongst the attackers to START ATTACKING! Some semblance of positive consistency needs to commence at once, especially against a side of equal or lesser talent like Stoke. Gonna be optimistic (ain't that what a true fan is supposed to be?), I'm predicting an overdue blow out, 4-1 Fulham. COYW!

9. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I hope we can pull of a rout. Anybody up for the chat room tomorrow, or will everyone be watching the tape delay?

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'll be there, Senator!

11. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I may say hello in the chat but I'm not sure I can join u for very long. The tape delay is beckoning since I am too stupid to understand Steve Jobs' genius when it comes to getting gentleman Jim on a MAC

12. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be a windows media plug-in anymore for macs...at least the last time I checked. Seems you need a windows operating system to listen to GJ.

13. MisterF

MisterF New Member

I'm on a Mac too and have the same issues.

Excited to see how this one turns out. Perfect opportunity for 3 pts especially after the past two matches.

14. MisterF

MisterF New Member

15. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Thank you Fulham!!! Of course you made it closer than it needed to be, but I'll take the 3 points. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

16. jumpkutz

Glad we hung on. Badly needed 3 points. How close was Clint's shot at the end?

17. MisterF

MisterF New Member

Inches off with the goalie already beaten. Probably should have scored. Kinda pulled a Torres :lol:

18. sfm

sfm Member

Pogrebynak was bustling throughout. He looks fit and has a powerful left foot; in fact looks he sort of chap who would be prototypically Stoke like. The fortnight interval will hopefully be enough to sort out his ankle. He walked off the pitch reasonably well from what I saw on Final Score.

Stoke were off colour in the first half; Wilkinson was no Delap on set pieces by any measure. Fuller's substitution of Kenwyne Jones brought much more energy and I feared the final ten minutes. I told the wife it felt like Odense again, albeit with more experience on the pitch than before the Fall in December.

Riise played well as did the Thames barrier and Dembele was at the heart of both goals. The Belgian's ball winning is fundamental to our Christmas tree formation. The Sorensen OG reminded me of Digger's strike against Scott Carson last season.

Stoke are a pikey lot. Bullies only repsond to strength and it was they who remonstrated at every half challenge whilst making a few crafty .elbows in the back on Bryan and Pogrebnyak. I can picture them actually practicing obstruction on the training pitch Wednesday morning. One day they will be relegated and I shall be delighted. Schadenfreude is a dangerous emotion and most un becoming but I shall be delighted nonetheless for I see them as the Premier League's embodiment of Gill**g*am and there is no need for any of that.

Nine points clear, job done and back to W12 in a fortnight. My boss is unable to see me Friday so I will stay here and watch it here in the States on the subscription streaming site or on the box if she is on. Those seats in the South Africa Stand...

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

glad you made it over, sir!

20. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Perfectly stated as usual sfm.

Great win. Jol brought the full ham rather than the half ham we see too often. :) Bad joke but it is true. It's made me wonder about Jol's english.

I thought everyone had a good match today. Schwarzer punched the balls with authority, Riise was very confident on defense, the Thames barrier was back, Kelly was rock solid, Dembele was essential at controling the ball, Dempsey was dangerous, Ruiz was active and constantly looking, Pog got us going and he should only get better as he gets more accustomed, Murphy was class and didnt give the ball away, Duff was active and impactful, and all the subs did their job. Especially Etuhu. Yea Fulham :banana-dance:

My MOM, Pog. ---- He will fit in nicely