Fulham v. Spurs [R]

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Spurs offense scares me a little right now. It'll be hard for are deflated back line to hold off Defoe and Berbatov, and perhaps Keane. If were to win we must keep up this habbit of scoring alot.

---------Nemi(if healthy)---------
    Liam---Christanval---Boca---Quedrue
    ---------------Brown------------------
    Volz------------------------------Radz
    --------------Claus(if healthy)--------------
    ---------Montella-------------McBride

Prediction 3-2 for the good guys

2. jmh

jmh New Member

Following up on my earlier post, I will be at the Red Lion in NYC to watch this game. Not sure if anybody else is interested, but if so, look for me in my red USMNT McBride shirt.

3. psand22

psand22 Member

Warner
    Liam - Zat - Pearce - Que
    Volz - Brown - Boca - Radz
    HH - McBride
    I see it being another 2-2 titanic struggle.

4. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

I don't have much to add except that I want to see a win for a change. Yes, 8 games unbeaten is good; but Fulham needs wins.

Also, I agree with Spencer. I'm very wary of the Fulham back four, especially whoever is at CB. They need to play big to thwart the Tottenham offense. Considering Fulham's recent habit of letting their opponent grabbing a lead on Fulham - Charlton Athletic, West Ham United, LEICESTER CITY - I don't think Tottenham will be as keen to let Fulham play back into it.

That said, I hope for a 2-1 Fulham win. COYW!

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

catch some of you folks in the morning in the chat room.

6. orbie

orbie New Member

I'm also concerned withs Spurs. After the Newcastle game they had something to prove at Cardiff expense. Spurs have been looking good form up front while our defense has been questionable, allowing 6 goals in the last 2 games. On the plus side we have scored 7 in the past 2 games.

I expect Montella & Demspey late in the second. I'm excited to see Dempsey, but don't want to rush his debut. He is an impact player, but he can't be match fit for the big leagues yet.

7. JMF

JMF New Member

Should've won this game. Nice to see Dempsey out there though. Once again, the draw machine keeps going.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I know there was some moaning about the defense at the end in the chatroom, but I think that adding Pearce made us play better throughout. I think that Montella will be in next to Brian in the next game. We showed heart and guts, and Brown is the leader we need.

Drawing may suck, but it beats the hell out of losing. We were a man down against a better squad with in-form strikers and we took points. Jesus people, smile a little. COYW!

9. dirtyboy

dirtyboy New Member

He’ll have to. Helguson’s red card prevents him from playing in the next match.

I enjoyed this match. I was screaming profanities at the TV screen, I’m sure my neighbors are thrilled.

I can’t wait – I’ll be at the Cottage in two weeks!

10. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Fulham played well today. Had it not been for two great stops from Tottenham keeper Paul Robinson, the Cottagers would have won easily. Even when reduced to ten men, they were not really threatened until the equalizing goal from Chimbonda.

That being said, the goal from Spurs was disappointing as the defense should have stopped the back getting through and then Lastuvka should have stopped the shot.

A few observations:

1. Queudrue was great today. He defended well, he passed the ball well and even sent in a few balls that were quality for the strikers up front.

2. McBride played well and as always worked his socks off.

3. The second yellow from Helguson should not have been given. He did not make contact with Huddlestone.

4. Montella looks to be a good player that can and will contribute to this team. I think he will work well with McBride and/or Helguson in there.

5. The return of Pearce was great for the defense. He was a steadying presence in the back and despite the late goal from Spurs, the Fulham defense was strong.

6. Dempsey showed no fear getting in on a few tackles in his brief appearance. I think he will do just fine and with his heart and energy, he will fit very well into the make up of the team.

7. My only issue was the keeper. Not only should he have made the save on the Tottenham goal, but his ball dispersal was horrible. I think I counted five times that he kicked goal kicks out of bounds. I can understand one or two, but FIVE!! No way. We need Niemi back soon.

That is nine in a row unbeaten though. Let's hope for a win next weekend against Stoke City. Advancing in the FA Cup would be great! COYW!

11. JMF

JMF New Member

I agree 110%. Even before he signed with the club I thought Dempsey would be a nice addition. He plays his tail of game in and game out.

12. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Great effort from Fulham, and unlucky not to get the win. Also, Dempsey made a decent debut with that play that lead up to the penalty. Stole the ball from Tottenham player, backheeled it to I think Brown, who then played it up to Tottenham's area for McBride.

I can't think of anyone having a really bad game (Lastuvka could have handled the shot better, but I think he's getting better at gathering crosses). The passing and crossing from Fulham needs to be improved, but I won't be too picky if the wind was as bad as the announcers were making it out to be.

Overall, I'm happy with Fulham getting a point of off Tottenham after going a man down early in the Second half.

COYWs!!! Let the unbeaten streak continue!!

13. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Anytime you lose a man that early, you'll take the point for sure. Sounded like a typical gritty performance from the fellas. However,
    draws at home can get you into a spot of trouble.

Hopefully Niemi will be back for the next two. The fifth round would be tremendous, but more importantly its time to get 3 pts away v Sheff U.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Great match report on the home page from our own Chicago Tom. Screw the BBC and Fox reports, Tom is the man!

15. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Thanks Don!

16. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

major hat tip to dempsey and montella. i'm very excited about their future(s) with the club. and a welcome back salute to pearce, especially considering it wasnt him who got the red card. helguson however....i think i've seen enough of him. how many games in a row has he gotten booked? its gotta be over 5, or something.

and although i am glad we were able to get a point considering the circumstances, a victory was needed. fulham is now 15th, albeit 9 points clear of relegation. on the bright side only 3 points seperate 9th-15th, but they have to win against sheffield next tuesday especially considering they face newcastle, bolton and manu consecutively. i'm not saying that fulham is screwed, but a win in the premiership is def needed right now. the drawing streak they've got going has been nice, but over time it may prove to be detrimental. Things do clear up in march, but february is going to be tough. nevertheless...

come on fulham!

17. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

That late goal stings. But having done just that to so many teams recently maybe we had it coming.

Maybe its my overwhelming bias but I thought the Heleguson red was crap and the Spurs goal was WAY offside!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyhow I can accept a draw particularly given the red. The guys played pretty well.

18. JMF

JMF New Member

19. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I really think we should of won and am disappointed with this result. There was something good that came out of this though and that was the suspension of Helguson. I don't understand why people like him so much, but clearly he is not Premier League standard. His first touch is usually poor and every challenge he makes is absolute horrible. He winns the aerial battles, but thats about it and when he gets the chance to score he misses from 2 yards out. This suspension means Montella will get a start which is good because I believe he will prove to be a major force against any team.

20. WonsanUnited

WonsanUnited New Member

Montella proved himself in this match. Everyone was waiting to see what kind of impact he would have in a normal Premiership game and he delivered. What was Fulham playing with, 4-4-2 or 4-3-3?