Fulham v Spam

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by SoCalJoe, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

24, EJ is not good at the premiership level. But he has no confidence; he is our 5th or 6th striker and costs practically nothing. I admit it is confusing as to why Roy would bring him into this game when he never subs. I was still glad to see him get a try, otherwise we will never know if Roy can make a difference with him. It's starting to look like he cant.

2. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I think I should be a tad bit more positive. Murphy played well and Riise is doing pretty well for himself. Gera also scored a goal and looked alright as well. SO there were some posiitives.

3. morry32

morry32 New Member

Okay EJ didn't bury the game winner but what Fulham Strike even creates that chance? Kamara, Nevland, Zamora? none of them have the pace to get into that position and cause the deflection and as AJ proved earlier in the match (he can't finish either). I think it fair to point out that AJ's sitter miss was far more blatant and equally costly but because it happened in the first half no one wants to talk about it.

When EJ came on our away supporters whistled and booed him- that was low class in my opinion but to be perfectly honest I didn't want him on the field either and this should see to it that he doesn't reappear any time soon. He is lazy, he is mentally and physically weak, and he is heartless but he still plays for my side.

4. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

EJ's confidence was low coming in, and now it is shot. The Fulham Supporters will not allow him to be with us much longer. I feel sorry for the guy, because he obviously is in a very troubled and confused state (just look at his recation after blowing that opportunity).

Next stop for Eddie should be a very good sports psychologist. He needs to focus on only himself and his mental well-being for awhile, say until after Summer 2010.

Some of you will think it's piling on, but I blame him for wasting a golden opportunity. His life will be changed for the worse because of it, and he also cost Our Club 2 points that could be vital down the road.

5. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Morry, 2 things.

Kamara would've gotten to that ball because he has loads of pace and he would've finished because his confidence was sky high today.

I'll talk about that AJ miss. It was a sitter and he should get criticized. I'm not too high on AJ either. Zamora is crap, but I think we give AJ a little too much credit. I would start Kamara for the next few games.

6. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

f*ck scott parker.

that is all.

7. morry32

morry32 New Member

I think we should have been starting Kamara and Erik up front since the beginning of the season. Both of them hustle and at least get the ball out from under them to put it on target.

Plus AJ's reputation hurts us everytime he hits the ground.

A fresh Kamara might get to that ball but he was pretty spent when he came off

HIGHLIGHTS
    http://videos.sapo.pt/jFGdQwfV315N8wBOUcDN

8. BarryP

BarryP New Member

This game can be cruel and I was gutted at the tie. Having just finished watching the match on DVR that is as deep into the negative emotions as I care to go at the moment. On the positive side I think Fulham fans should be singing the praises of the following:

Dio Kamara just makes things happen. I am not Roy and I am not at the practice sessions but I have been puzzled for a long time as to why Dio has not earned a regular spot. Good things happen for Fulham when he is in the match. Things that no other Fulham striker since McBride has produced. I know he is unpredictable and I know he is streaky but there is no other Fulham striker on the roster that creates the kind of havoc in the opposing defense as Dio. Keep it up Dio!

Zoltan Gera looked very good today. He did not give the ball away, he passed the ball nicely and he finished the chance off the corner kick superbly. Zoltan has found some confidence and I like the direction his game is heading recently.

Chris Baird looked better next to Danny Murphy than any other CM we have paired with Murphy so far this season. He brought energy, a bit of bite and a calm confidence to pass the ball either back or carry it forward. He paired nicely with Murphy's skill set and I do not think it is any coincidence that Danny looked better in the second half today than he has all season.

In my opinion a few of you that are whining about Dempsey need to go back and rewatch the match from the red card forward. Dempsey worked hard in the second half to support Kamara. He was Schwarzer's target on all the goal kicks. He threatened the West Ham back four in the second half to help Kamara and Gera keep them honest. He got back on defense to support Konchesky and he consistently helped pass the ball out of the Fulham end to relieve the pressure on the back four. I am really not sure what else those whining about him today wanted to see from him. Did he give the ball away a few times? Yes he did but on several of those occasions he was by himself with no support in sight and if you watch closely Kamara gave the ball away several times in the same circumstances. Both Dempsey and Kamara were stranded in West Ham's end playing 1 v 5 and that is just a losing proposition in terms of keeping possession. In my opinion Dempsey put in a gutty, hard working performance today.

9. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Dude?

10. jmh

jmh New Member

Oh my. Eddie, Eddie, Eddie.

All in all though, I'm not going to lose much sleep over going to West Ham (who'd beaten us four times in a row) and getting a point after going down a man.

Also, how the hell did Upson not get booked during that match?

11. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I just have to chuckle at the slagging off of EJ. Kamara came off because he wasn't running at the back four any more; understandable, considering he'd played lone striker up to that point, but Roy took him off and put EJ in for fresh legs that would put more pressure on the back four. EJ did that and almost scored a goal OUT OF NOTHING. Yeah, he scuffed the shot and yeah, he'll be hearing about it in the dressing room but more in the context of "you did everything right except for that last touch."

As for the reason Murphy and the other players collapsed at the end of the game - they had just finished playing 50 minutes a man down against a good passing team - they were exhausted. Yeah, they were upset about the unlucky deflection that cost them 2 points, but really - coming back from a goal down, being a man down, away from home, and being a minute away from winning the game you think their confidence is down!?!? They've proven their mettle over the last 3 games and I think it's all uphill from here. They know they can play with anybody and know that hard work is the key.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I tried to post this last night, and I'm not quite sure why it didn't go through. Who knows?

Some of you have made the points I wanted to make, but here goes:

1. Man of the Match -- Kamara. He disrupted our attack for the first 45 minutes and then gained complete control of the Cheat's minds for the last 45. You'll seldom see one man complety mind-fuck an entire team [plus 30k fans] the way Dio did yesterday. The Kamara Konundrum is whether you can live with his lack of discipline, when it is that very lack of discipline that can destroy your opponents. As andypalmer said, he had to come off; he was knackered.

2. Unlike Mo, I hope Dempsey ISN'T injured, but when he signaled to be substituted as soon as he hit the dirt, I knew it wasn't good. I know many of you believe that he only plays when he feels like it, but Deuce has NEVER been happy to come out of a match, and to ask out in a match like this is very telling. And, if we do lose the services of "the lazy jerk who doesn't play hard for the US," then we're also losing our joint top scorer in WC qualifying, and we'll probably see Conor Casey in both matches. Whee!

3. Chicago is a one-footed donkey. Martin-in-Nashville was so wanting to see someone else in Etuhu's role, but Chicago was pretty useless, and then he fell for Parker's provocation and got us down to 10 men. What an idiot. You just can't afford to put your team out of a match they have a legitimate chance of getting something from like that. Of course, once we got his useless ass off the pitch, we played brilliantly. BAIRD was 10 times the player on the day. But, thank god it wasn't Etuhu! Right.

4. I've seen scores of comments on four websites so far slagging off Eddie Johnson for missing a chance he created after running down a ball that only he could get to, but only ONE [which I authored :oops: ] that pointed out that Hangeland's unnecessary cross-body block on Faubert, followed by his piss-poor marking on Cole gift-wrapped The Cheats with their first goal. Completely unspoken on this site is that St. Brede has had mini-walkabouts like this in each of our matches this season. He's not close to the player we had last season, but nobody criticizes him. Teachers know all about "The Halo Effect." When something goes wrong in the classroom, a teacher will immediately look at the student who irritates him/her the most. So when something goes wrong on a Sunday at Upton Park, everyone thinks of Johnson, Johnson, Baird, Dempsey, or Gera, but nobody looks at the star pupil.

13. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

Yeah I was estatic that both Etuhu and Zamora didnt play as for your thinking Etuhu's replecemnt was a "Donkey" that's pretty harsh considering he only played best part of one half (Who else played well in the first half?) and he's first game. up to that point I think he did more than Etuhu does all game, rightly so he was sent off in fact he wasn't missed and neither was Etuhu.

Kamara played he's heart out and I just HOPE that Roy saw it that way and doesnt put the Real DONKEY Zamora back in the side when he's fit again.

Final thought: NO Etuhu and No Zamora , Away from Home 10 men and 1 point Nearly 3. I rest my case.

14. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

I waited around for the 5pm airing, but the otherwise stalwart FSC feed on TVU was down. So I can only rely on what I saw on MOTD2.

But the red card is harsh. How often do we see players have altercations with hands-in-faces (not a Drogba slap) and its a warning, if not a yellow. I know it was at Azteca, but didn't a Mexican player put a CHOKE HOLD on MB recently and get away with it? Where is the consistency?

And what about Parker's reaction after being booked? Surely his temper tantrum deserved a second yellow? Prick.

15. Martin-in-Nashville

I dont think the red card was harsh Timmyg you cant go around putting hands on others the inconsistency is with the ref's. sooner or later they just might all get on the same road and work it out?

16. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

The problem though is that Parker instigated the altercation. Sure, The Evidence needs to be held accountable. But there's no reason Parker should get the lesser punishment. Even hockey (all things considered, the most violent sport?) realizes this dynamic, and punishes all fight instigators with additional penalty minutes.

Did anyone who watched the match recall if Parker had been chippy or vocal with The Evidence's before the altercation? It would make sense for a jerk like him to get in a rookie's head, and then hope he would snap and get sent off.

17. Martin-in-Nashville

Parked looked like he was given him some lip for the challange which didnt look like much, and that's when he put he's hands in he's face, that goes on all the time in football trying to intice another into getting sent off.

18. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Funny game. Coming in I'd have been happy with a point. At halftime, I'd have been ecstatic. And yet when the whistle blew, it was so disappointing.

Great effort by all involved, save one. I didn't think Digkacoi was as bad as he's being labeled prior to losing control. It did look to me like he might have headbutted Parker after pie-facing him, but it was hard to tell from what the cameras caught. Either way though, he deserved the red. I agree that Baird looked far better in that role.

Ironically Digkacoi may not have cost us that much. The team looked much better with 10 than we did with 11. I don't know if it was the sending off or what was said at halftime, but we came out playing like it was a derby in the 2nd instead of like gentlemen. I'm not saying we were dirty, just more aggressive and it took WestHam out of their game.

That and Kamara was exceptional. I actually thought Gera was back to his usual crap ways the first half, but in the second he was much better and then topped it off with a goal. He scares me though with those scissor tackes from the side and behind that he does. Luckily he usually misses, but I'm just waiting for him to get carded one of these days for that.

As for the back four, it's not just Brede who has been shaky. The whole group seems to have lost that steel trap mentality from last year. Konch has always had lapses, but Brede, Hughes and JP are having more this year as well. Hopefully they'll get it together as the season progresses.

At the end of the day, it's good to get a point on the road, especially at a place where we usually leave with nothing. Wish it were 3 thoguh as I really hate WestHam.

19. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Johnson.

The sad thing - that was his chance. That was the chance to turn everything around! His finds the net and Fulham get the full points and he is on the radar. Now - his professional and emotional stock just plummeted to all time lows.

I was pissed, but then just sad for him.

I am not sure why Kamara went straight to the dressing room after getting subbed off. Anyone know?

Demps did work much better in the second half - a few moments here and there where he lost the ball or was careless, but generally he earned his money.

One thing I didnt like with Eddie is that he didnt provide any backside pressure... and that time and comfort in the midfield seemed to lead to the goal as much as anything. Kamara was tracking back beyond the center circle to put pressure on the holding players so that they at least had to stay honest.

EJ put on the brakes around the half-way line - never pressured behind the center circle. I didnt like that - he has the speed to be able to release as soon as Fulham get possession - it makes no sense to me that he wouldnt help more when they are up a goal.

If it was someone else I could understand him staying up to have someone to release to, but as I said - he has the speed to be able to get out as soon as Fulham get control of the ball. I dont know - I am not a fan... Lets loan him out again and give him another chance to sort it out.

20. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Kamara went off because he was pissed. I'm only guessing, but it seemed that way because Hodgson also went into the tunnel. I would've been absolutely livid with the manager so I'd done the same.

Thanks to Hatter to finally tell people that Brede hasn't been the same. Sure, he's still fucking quality, but he's nowhere near his level of last year. He still wins the aerial battle, but he gets beat more often and gives away stupid fouls like yesterday.