Fulham v Neverton

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by IndyCottager, Aug 31, 2009.

1. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

BC. I wouldn't mind that against some of the bottom feeders, but against even a mid-table side, we'd have some problems controlling the midfield.

2. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

On the one hand, I'd be interested to see it b/c I think playing an attacking CM role may be Dempsey's best fit. That and I'd rather see Etuhu on the bench than Duff. Plus you'd have the flexibility to go with Etuhu and put Demps back out wide if you wanted a more defensive posture (on the road, v Big 4 at home).

However, I wonder if that role would actually mean Dempsey would attack less. Under our current system, the wings get further upfield and then cross in behind the strikers as part of the attack. They get into the box far more often than Murphy does. So it may actually make us less dangerous to do that.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Matt, I enjoyed your "correction" at least as much as you enjoyed the original. It was a great day out. I DID edit out most of the bilge I talked during the day, but this was done specifically for the reasons of style -- natch.

But it was a great day out, and that's a natural fact. We'll have to do some more.

4. jmh

jmh New Member

I had that same thought during the match.

5. MisfitKid

MisfitKid New Member

I don't have much to add. A different team in the 2nd half.
    Roy must have turned over a table or two.

Because I don't see with blacknwhite glasses...
    Etuhu's tackle on Neville (OUCH!), yellow card at a minimum, could have been red. Not sure what the ref was watching? Ball or no ball.

My thoughts, Everton will be religated because of...
    "CURSE OF THE DICKIE!!" :lol:

COYW

6. LOBO

LOBO New Member

It is, but I don't think Dempsey has developed the same type of chemistry with his NATS teammates and I also suspect he has little respect for Bob Bradley's system.

Thread derailment aside, I found it very interesting how much better the team looked with AJ and Zamora back in the mix.

I have to admit that I was very much in agreement with the announcer's "confusion" over Duff's position on the pitch. Then comes his winning goal and I realize how much more I really need to learn....

Roy Rules!

COYW!

7. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I suspect there are some matchup issues at play as well. I've noticed when we play Villa that O'Neill moves Young from side to side and Roy appears to counter by swapping our wings a good bit.

8. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Suspect the same. Dempsey sees Bradley as a nearly one dimesional simpleton. Can't say I necessarily disagree.

That said, Dempsey was the best man for us on the pitch against the Toffees.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I hate to pull a Pettyfog on you, Christian, but I'd love to see the article or interview where he said that.

10. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Body language. Reading it takes more than understanding the obvious sometimes.

11. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Honestly Don I'm with Christian on this one.

You can just see that Clint believes in Roy. He doesn't believe in BB.

But then again, how many club players don't believe in their national team's manager?

12. Jensers

Jensers New Member

I am not sure if it that he doesnt believe in Bob, or he is losing a little of the fire due to playing a match against T&T where there is very little incentive to get fired up when you are tired.

The problem with this argument is that he has been crap in a couple of other matches where the atmosphere was pretty amazing.

For me - getting a little older... I rarely play to my potential anymore unless it is some special match, or something happens that really makes me angry. I could see how being in T&T could make for an inability to overcome the fatigue.

But then - we see him go to the cottage and it is against timmy, and the place is buzzing! Takes very little to play to your potential and shake off the cobwebs I would imagine.

13. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I've gotta side with Christian and timmy. Who was the first one to slag Bob in the media at the Confed Cup? Granted, he was responding to Bob's comments that put the loss squarely on the players, but still. I love Dempsey's game and heart, but as a manager, he's the kind of player you have to put a saddle on. We've talked about it before. Nichol and Roy have done it and Clint improved. Bob and Sanchez didn't and you get a mixed bag. It's usually either very good or very bad and not very consistent.