FULHAM v. Man U {pre, during, and post-match comments}

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by americanmike, Sep 28, 2005.

1. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Your thoughts? Line ups?

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am quite confident that Fulham will come out and play to win. That excites me. Fulham has played well against Manchester United the past few seasons. We got a draw at the Cottage last season and probably should have picked up a draw at Old Trafford in March.

I am guessing we will see an unchanged lineup with perhaps the exception of Radzinski. However, Coleman might give Collins John or Heidar Helguson a run out. One of these games he will go with one of those two to partner McBride.

Defensively, we must be alert and prepared. Manchester United is coming off a stunning home loss at the hands of Blackburn last Saturday. United needs to win this game in the worst way. Ruud Van Nistelrooy has been in good form for United and our defense will have to mark him, Rooney and Ronaldo all afternoon if we want to have a chance.

I think we can control the midfield with Papa and Claus. Manchester United will feature an inexperienced Alan Smith in the middle of the park and a quickly aging Paul Scholes. If we can control the middle of the park, I think we have a decent chance at getting a result.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Well, I hope it's HH...

Like I said elsewhere, I dont think CJ gets it.. though I'm more than willing to be proved wrong.

I would LOVE to ask Brian one simple question which would shed a lot of light...

"How do you compare Collins John to Jeff Cunningham?"
    Brian's answer would be guarded... yet on analysis would reveal much!

4. cdubbs

cdubbs New Member

It will be an exciting match for sure, both teams match up well against each other and Man U does not have an easy time with Fulham. Wonder what Van Der Sar will be thinking playing against his old side?

5. RDG

RDG Member

Manyoo

Oh, this oughtta be easy . . .

Let me look into the crystal ball . . .

I see . . .

THE SAME BLOODY LINEUP AS COLEMAN'S USED ALL SEASON!

Radzinski will be upfront with McBride. McBride will do most of the defense, while Zat clears the ball to the other side. Boa Morte and Malbranque will be able to get the ball through the middle, but not send a good enough cross into the box. Warner will play well enough, but scream at the defense a lot. Bocaburger will play better than he did last season, but still get burned. . . .

No wonder John has a bad attitude. He probably could do AMAZING in training and he'd still get a maximum of 15 minutes playing time.

I'm sorry, I'll sit this one out. I just hope that I'm wrong and that I'll gladly tape this match sometime next week when FSC re-plays it.

6. thesportingrogue

thesportingrogue New Member

RE: Manyoo

I just don't rate Radz at all. Of the four strikers, I believe we could bear to let him go. Steed needs to be in a central role, but I know that Claus has that locked up. So maybe we could push him up to play behind a lone striker.

7. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

I have a feeling that we may get out of our one goal funk this weekend, although I'm not sure that's going to be enough to get us any points.

8. pettyfog

You all will miss my erudite comments, both here and on the offal as I have pressing family matters (birthday reunion for my namesake uncle who is 90) and will miss it.

I know I could listen or watch then go but I would end up very late and be distracted.

But i'm confident I'll get back to find a pleasant result.

9. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: RE: Manyoo

Petty, give me a call around noon Ohia time and I will let you know how the match went.

10. Jux

Jux New Member

RE: Re: RE: Manyoo

Petty,

I can bring a tape to the Crew Game tomorrow night...if you are going.

11. pettyfog

I'm going... might be a little late, but wouldnt miss the last game of the season!

Cheers, I'll give you a call while at the game.

12. thesportingrogue

Goal from Collins John! And then two from Man U. :shock: Come On You Whites! From the BBC live commentary (text) it seems we're attacking heavily. Hopefully grab one back soon.

13. thesportingrogue

Yes! Free kick goal from Claus! 2-2

14. thesportingrogue

The analysis from the FulhamUSA show was dead-on. Good job, guys!

Goals are coming from other sources since Brian and Papa are being shadowed. That's what we need, more goal threats.

15. thesportingrogue

Heartbreaking loss. Interested to see the comments of those who got to see the game.

16. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

We played our asses off today and deserved a draw at least. While we did not dominate, we did control at least half the possession and put Manchester United in troubling situations a number of times.

Our midfield play was exceptional with Papa, Claus and Steed causing problems all match. It was nice to see Collins John in there and producing.

The defensive back four let us down in a major way. The first goal was a penalty and from my biased perspective, it looked more like a dive. However, the second and third goals just came down to bad man marking by Fulham and big, wide-open holes in the back of the defense.

Two things I will question about this game is why Coleman decided to throw both Goma and Crossley in to the fire against Manchester United. I can honestly perhaps understand the inclusion of Goma, but I did not think Crossley should have been in goal. Not as though he lost the game, but Warner has been playing well.

All in all, I was pleased with the team's play today. Unfortunately, results are not going our way. But, if we continue to play the way we are, I guarantee results will start coming our way.

17. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Tough break. We've had a pretty tough schedule so far, besides Birmingham at home they have all been tough teams or tough locations to get a point against. And the schedule doesn't look good for a team with a 'shaky' confidence. The only reason I say shaky, despite good play from Fulham, is because a team can only take so many games where they don't get rewarded and still perform with a swagger. I'm certain we will get points from these type of performances the team is putting in, but can the team weather the storm?
    Also, from my observations of the game...Steed is still not performing well on the right side of the midfield. Whenever a player around the penalty box wants to lay it off to the right, Steed is nowhere to be found. I don't think he has the pace to cover right midfielders' duties. I know he's a good player, and it would be a shame to let him go or bench him, but the right side is a weakness for us. We don't have enough speed on that side.
    On the plus side, it was good to see Collins John start and get a goal. And it was great to see the team score more than one goal in a Premier League game against high caliber opponent. I hope we can continue this trend when we face Charlton on the 17th. (which happens to be my mother's birthday, so it's a good omen)

18. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

With this defense we will be playing the likes of QPR and Luton next year. This defense is rubbish and if Dellas and Djetou are still available then we MUST bring them in to play for Fulham. We can score 50 goals this season and still be relegated because this defense is that bad. Maybe we should do what Blackburn did last season. They were in the same kind of trouble bottom 3,bad defense,looks to be relegated and they decided to sit back and defend and play a more physical style of football. It might not be pretty but, it will get results and thats what Fulham need right now.

Also Steed needs to be playing in the CM not on the right side. Jensen is a decent player but, he is nowhere near the player Steed is when he is playing in the CM. Elrich can go on the right wing and this will solve our problems of speed on the right side and the crosses will be much better which means Mcbride will have more chances to score in the air.

19. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Another win 'bought' by a big club. A major injustice has been done too our club and I have written to the FA about it as many of the other FFC have done.

The line jugdes were attrocious and two of their goals were pure crap. The 'foul' on the Park was not a foul but a lean by Volzy and a dive by the cheating Manc.

Then you have the last goal which, in turn, started when three of the mancs were offsides!!! Three!!! Its crap how smaller clubs like Wigan, Fulham, Bolton, etc. get cheated out of calls when a 'big' club comes to town.

Match Of The Day and Sky Sports reviewed our game thoroughly and both came to the conclusion, on replays, that those two goals were an unjustice done to us by blind line judges.

Our boys collectively played their hearts out and I'm happy to see that they didn't let United roll all over them.

FTID.

20. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Any ref would have called that penalty and that offside goal was close as well. CJ on his goal used his hand that wasnt called and Diop could of easily been sent off and Boa was close as well for arguing every thing that was called. The ref made alot of bad calls for both teams not just Fulham. Why do all Fulham fans feel like were being picked on? Seriously is Sky writes Fulham get thrased by Arsenal the fans will go why did they have to say that for etc even though we lost 4-1. If a player is linked to another team its because the media hates us well Vieira was linked all last summer and this summer with another team does that mean they hate Arsenal as well?