Fulham v. Man City

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by nmancini04, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Bouazza will probably start. He was actually one of the best players against Wigan, but for the stupid foul. I have no idea why you guys don't rate him. He's got that something like Dempsey has. I don't think he has played badly at all.

2. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

I didn't like him against Bolton or against Spurs. I thought he had a terrible first touch, gave away possession without much battle, consistently passed to defense and produced some truly terrible crosses. Other than that he was great.

I did hear that he was much better against Wigan, but I didn't see it, so my opinion stands.

3. psand22

psand22 Member

-I see LS sticking with the same starting line up as last week, but it won't be long before we see more of the newbies getting their chance. I see todays match as a (1-1) draw, but I'm kinda liking our chances to take all 3 points....Spencer and CT where are ya'll watching the games in Minneapolis?
    I'm going to be in town, but I can't make the it for the game today...

4. michfan2123

michfan2123 New Member

EQUALIZER IN THE 75TH, WHAT A SPECTACULAR GOAL!!!

5. michfan2123

michfan2123 New Member

That was a great game, Fulham played great in the end, I really thought they would score a late winner, they came so close. That last free kick to Man City was not needed, it was really not a foul.

6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

New idea for the FulhamUSA online shop...FFC crested defibrilators (they'll sell like hotcakes). What a game!! I'll stay postitive...I'm positive Baird needs to be nailed to the bench (there is slow, slower, and Baird), and for the love of God can we please see Volzy????????????????????

7. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Great, great game... Fulham will get some admirers in the English game with performances like that.

Niemi was the worse thing for Fulham I think. Should have stopped the first goal and could have stopped the third one if he had positioned himself better.

I think Baird did fine. Petrov got down the left unimpeded because play was on th right and Davies was somewhere else. You also have to give credit to all the great offensive players playing in England right now. Petrov is definitely one of them. Sanchez is going to give Baird a full season to learn what the EPL is all about so I'm doubtful Volz ever starts... unless Baird is hurt (although Hughes may play there and Stefanovic comes in for him).

Sanchez out coached Sven as well.

8. BC

BC New Member

First, I have to get this off my chest: HOW MANY TIMES WILL BAIRD GET BURNED BEFORE HE'S REPLACED??????????

I mean, c'mon! Petrov absolutely smoked him for the first goal. And he couldn't catch up on Petrov's other one. I know there are people here who support him and I'm not saying he's terrible but how many times this season has he been beaten for goals? Is there some way to clone Konchesky and put him over there instead???

Alright, enough of my childish rant. I think Baird is a decent defender but hasn't quite sorted himself out yet. I hope he will soon.

The first 25 minutes, I didn't recognize this team. I thought Arsenal had come in and donned FFC strips! Then it was back to the old, no defense, Fulham ways. I swear, if we EVER get a strong defense, we will be dangerous. I suppose I shouldn't get too impatient however. Sanchez has us scoring left and right now. The offense is in place. Let's get our D up to snuff.

I was impressed by Seol. Bouzza had a decent game as well. Deuce was working hard but things didn't fall for him. I did like his square off with Micah Richards, though.

So far the results have been like the old Fulham but the play has been nothing at all similar. We'll get going, I've no doubt. Sanchez has put together a good team and I think he's coached quite well so far.

Come on you Whites!

9. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Baird might see the bench soon, my guess is he won't, but some of his problems are that the midfield doesn't defend all that well. With all the offense Fulham is generating, it has to sacrifice some on defense.

10. BC

BC New Member

That's true. It just seems like teams have attacked Baird a lot and he's been a step or two behind. To be fair, he's made some good defensive plays. But, he's also been beaten enough that I think it's time for someone else (Volz?) to get a shot.

11. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

There is no secret.

Opposing teams have at least one plan against us every match that Baird is in, "Attack down the left!"

12. krhimself

krhimself New Member

Dear Chris Baird,

You are not good enough to be a Premiership defender. Please leave the building at once.

That is all.

That was a cracker of a goal by Bouazza, though.

13. andyns

andyns New Member

niemi also looked poor

14. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

This is true. I think one of the reasons Konchesky has looked so good and Baird so bad is because Bouazza has done well tracking back and helping out defensively. Davies doesn't do this so much, Dempsey hardly at all. I haven't seen enough of Seol, but I'd be interested to see if Baird looks any better with him on the right. Perhaps Bullard may be an option on the right wing once he's fit (IIRC, he played there often at Wigan).

15. Hoppy

Hoppy New Member

Saw only the last 30 mins on the net. Seol looked good I thought - dangerous when attacking and a couple of times did good defensive stuff. Murphy made a difference when he came on - took his goal well, others might have rushed it, but he placed it coolly. Yes, I think Niemi should take some blame for the one that went in at the near post. Is he past his best?

16. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Mixed emotions on this one. It sure seemed like we played well but we leaked three goals!

-Baird out please
    -Bouazza what a goal!
    -Seoul is a very clever player

Had a really good time watching the match with FUSAer's ChiTom & BQ. But it turns out that ordering an humongous ice cream sundae before breakfast isn't actually always a good idea . Throw in too much coffee and a stressful match and my stomach realized on the way home I'd made a mistake.

17. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Dear Chris Baird,

I know the feeling.

Signed,
    Zat Knight

18. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I don't think we will see too many 1-0 type wins from this year's team. While the 1-point kind of sucks, still great to see them battle back again while down plus it was a fun one to watch.

19. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

So, the first Fulham match I've ever attended did not disappoint. Goals were plentiful, supporters in full voice and what a performance on the pitch from Fulham.

My assessment of Man City is simply this... They found the weakest point of the Fulham defense (Baird) and continued to attack it. Lawrie did not adjust his defensive philosophy or subsitute Baird which led to 3 goals being conceded. Although Petrov's first goal should of been stopped by Niemi. It was a rather tame shot.

Konchesky continues to prove his worth in defense chasing down every ball and utilizing a no nonsense approach to defending. Loved it when he went from one side of the field to the other in the second half to shut down a break away that was given away by Baird. Pure quality. Seol was fantastic in the short time he had on the pitch. He held defenders off and put several dangerous balls into the box. Looking forward to seeing what else he has to offer Fulham. Murphy's first shot for Fulham and he scores. Brilliant. Couldn't of scripted that any better and his second one nearly put Fulham ahead in the match.

There are so many other comments I could make about the players, stadium, match and supporters, but I would probably take up an entire page. Loved every minute of it and can't wait to see the Portsmouth match this coming Saturday.

Mike, did you see the two City fans get tossed from the ground? Rather entertaining if you ask me.

20. WVfulhamfan

WVfulhamfan New Member

I agree with some of you about Baird. I want him to be benched. He plays way too far off the ball. He has no pace. I don't think he is awful, but he is getting beat way too much. He may be more suited for the middle, but we have to do something about him for now.

I do like the way we have stayed with an attacking mindset. I also think eventually we will sure up our defense and begin to win some of these games. I like a lot of what i am seeing, just not the results. It will come.