Fulham v Juve (18th Mar)

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by sullytex, Mar 15, 2010.

1. sullytex

sullytex Member

Well, the Whites are probably a bit shell shocked after the last two matches being beaten by an aggregate of 6 - 1. No rest for the weary as the Italians are coming to the Cottage on Thursday and Man City await in the wings (and then away to the Spurs).

I am convinced the team is bit run down, combined with the injury riddled season, is taking a bit of a toll (I think going back to the first Juve game thru to Tots, that will be five games in 14 days?) As mentioned on other threads, that won't be an excuse much longer as our injured are returning and should, barring knocking off some rust, inject some needed fresh blood.

My head tells me we get a 1-0 win or a 1-1 draw and our run ends at the Cottage (if it does, I am glad it will end here as we can give the boys a proper ovation).

My heart tells me we are in for a dramatic 3 nil victory with the winner from the nogin of Demps off a Duff corner, 91st minute.

I'll be at Cottage with a kitchen pass in hand from the big boss. I went to Basel thinking I was catching our final Europa match so I hope the Whites keep up their streak in proving me wrong!

2. jmh

jmh New Member

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

the match is at 1400 Eastern -- 1300 Central.

Matt, the wierdness of Daylight Savings Time means that I'll see you at 1245 rather than 1145.

4. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

It's Daylight Saving Time, Donny. No 's'.

Also, I'm not surprised the lads are completely knackered -- every other team is too. Fulham have played more games than any other team yet, despite all the injuries, Roy hasn't really mixed things up a lot. Just compare us to a team like Sunderland.

Which brings me to Thursday -- I think we can win it, I just don't know if we will. Juve just drew with bottom-dwellers Siena, are one point from 4th spot, and are away to Sampdoria on Sunday (who are one point behind them). So there's a possibility they may not focus 100-percent on this match, whereas we will (or should?) because our league position is all but locked up.

COYW

5. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

2-0

End of.

6. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I thought we were done against Basel, then went to the pub and watched us win. I thought we were done again when we drew Shakhtar, then went to the pub for both legs and watched us win on aggregate. Now Juve.

This really should be the end of the road. That said, I'll be watching at the pub yet again, so hopefully I'll be proven wrong for the third time. If not, it's been a great run.

7. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

This should be Fulham's Boyz II Men game ("End of the Road" baby!!) - but I'm in Ag's boat and the club's resilience this season in all competitions has been incredible and I won't count them out.

Now, excuse me, I'm off to wash out my mouth and fingers for the Boyz II Men reference...

8. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

JUVE BLOWS

Now, we have an excellent chance. Juve somehow managed to blow a 3-0 lead, at home, to the bottom dwellers in Italy, Siena, esterday.

HOW THE HELL DO YOU BLOW A 3-0 LEAD?!?!?!?!?!?!

TO THE WORST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE?

That, and they're cheating bastards; aside from Our Dear Neighbors, they are my least favorite footy team in the world.

No prediction, aside from these two:

a) Woy will send out two strikers, and the Greening/ Etuhu paring will not happen again -- too much defense, not enough going forward. Maybe Woy will try to coax one bit of excellence from Danny, he's looking like he's tired now though. Whatever happens, I expect to see a more offensive lineup than last week.

b) If the Ws do come up short, I'll still love them. They did so much better in this cup than I was expecting, I still feel like I am playing with house money.

Come on FULHAM!!

9. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Pretty sure Danny and Greening are unavailable for this one (red and accumulated yellows, respectively). If so, unless Roy trots out someone we haven't seen play that role this year, it's going to be defensive.

I'd bet on Zamora and Dempsey up top. Gera, Baird, Etuhu & Duff in the middle. And then Kelly, Konch, Hughes and either Hangeland (if healthy) or Smalling in the back. Mark in net, as always.

I'd like to see Davies in for Baird or Etuhu but Roy doesn't do unconventional very often (outside of that time he put Smalling in at striker....kinda).

10. jmh

jmh New Member

Does a red carry an automatic multiple-match ban? I thought Murphy was only out for the road leg last week.

11. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

I was always more of a "on bended knee" fan, but the video for "end of the road" was wayyy less ridiculous.

THAT'S RIGHT, I KNOW EVERY WORD TO BOTH SONGS.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Murphy's foul was considered "violent conduct" and, as such, he misses both legs. FulhamAg's Own Personal Jesus is also suspended on Thursday for Accumulation of Yellows [GOTS to be the name of our next CD]. Chicago and Dempsey are both fit, however, sooooo .

13. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I have good news and bad news:

Good news: Juve are in the midst of a serious keeper crisis 1) Buffon injured 2) Back up keeper Manninger 3) Chimenti (3rd choice) is 40 years old and let in three, count them three, goals in one half against the last placed team in Seria A.

SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT

Bad news: It's still Juventus.

14. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

My lineup prediction:

..................Aussie.............
    ..Baird..Hughes..Smalling..Konch
    ...Duff...Etuhu.....Gera.....Davies
    ........Dempsey...Zamora

15. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Now, it's a big question mark on what both teams do. What type a game does Juve play? Can't imagine they'll close shop, but instead look early for the kill shot.

I'm hoping there isn't a Baird/Ehutu pairing in the middle. Also, I can't imagine Brede will be a go.

16. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I thought Manninger looked good against us. Or were you saying he's injured as well? Hope they choose to go with Chimenti.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Manninger is injured. Their 3rd choice goalie -- who is 39 -- looks likely to feature. Why am I not doing cartwheels over us facing a 39-year-old keeper? Because ours is 38 and is pretty damn good.

Unlike some of my fellow supporters, I'm not too upset at the prospect of Baird/Etuhu at central mid. Here's what I'd like to see on Thursday [assuming that Brede really IS hurt and not just Roy playing possum again]:

Da Schwarz; Kelly, Hughes, Smalling, Konch; Duff, Etuhu, Baird, Dempsey; Gera; Zamora

Kelly has had 3 or 4 solid performances in a row, and Baird had a brilliant first half against United. I'm not sure whether it was the loss of Hangeland from central defense or the loss of Baird from central mid that hurt us more on Sunday.

A little less than 45 hours from kickoff, and I still have no idea what we'll be seeing on Thursday. I just hope that we play with spirit and poise and that nobody gets hurt.

COYW!

18. morry32

morry32 New Member

We're going on a European Tour

Lithuania
    Russia
    Bulgaria
    Italy
    Switzerland
    Ukraine
    Italy

I wouldn't mind to see another country added to the list
    Germany
    Spain
    Portugal
    France

We win and move on- 2 nil

19. jmh

jmh New Member

Team News

Hangeland trained today but will face a fitness test tomorrow. Riise also trained today for the first time since falling ill before the match in Turin (symptoms make it sound like flu or food poisoning). Johnson, Paintsil, Elm long-term injured. (When did that happen to Elm?) Murphy and Greening suspended. Okaka, Andranik, Shorey, Milsom, Brown, Stoor, Briggs ineligible.

So what we're left with is: Schwarzer, Zuberbuhler; Kelly, Konchesky, Hangeland (?), Baird, Hughes, Smalling; Gera, Duff, Riise (?), Etuhu, Dempsey, Davies, Dikgacoi; Zamora, Nevland. That's 17 guys, but Roy said 18 in that article, so I'm trying to figure out who I'm leaving out. Presumably it's 17-year-old Keanu Marsh-Brown, who rode the bench in Torino and for both legs against Shakhtar, but I have to imagine Roy would prefer not to give him his first action in a match like this.

Also, here's a couple of articles from UEFA.org:

Juve lose another keeper to injury
    Juve wary of Fulham's fortress

20. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Fulham can do this. I believe.