Fulham v Everton

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by SoCalJoe, Mar 26, 2014.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Time to get it started! Not only this thread, but for the club to throw it's hat into the ring for a real relegation fight,and not just throwing in the towel like they have done for most of the season. Nothing indicates that the lads are capable of beating an Everton side that just went to St.James Park and turned over Newcastle 0-3 on Tues. The Toffees are sitting in 5th, and the great Roberto Martinez has them playing the kind of football that is fun to watch. However, this will be Everton's 3rd match in 8 days, and while what they did to the Magpies was impressive their overall away record is a solid, but not great 5 wins, 6 losses, 4 draws.

Everyone in white needs to step up and make some plays. A big key is getting the home support into the match. Give the Fulham fans something to cheer about and they'll lift the squad. A 1-3 or worse result would not be surprising and given this season almost expected. However, I'm going with the 2-1 shocker and to put some real reassure on the teams right above.

It's March Madness, so I looked for a little inspiration from this. The least known home court advantage in college basketball resides in Logan Utah, where in the last fifteen years only Duke, Kansas, and Gonzaga have a better home winning percentage than Utah State. A big reason is their fans create an atmosphere that the home team feeds off. May the belief be there on Sunday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH65jS-EseQ

2. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

We're going to lose and could well get smashed. Yes, we beat a secondary Everton side at the Cottage in the Cup. If you go back and review that match, you'll find we didn't play that well and, in fact, were booed off the pitch at halftime. We got a bit of a lucky bounce that Berbatov converted in the 2nd half and then hit them for another quick goal 3 minutes later from a set pc and that was enough to win.

That should be encouraging, but here's why I don't think it is. Following yet another thrashing (something that has become entirely too routine) at City, we were treated to comments by both Magath and some of the players that we didn't expect to win that one anyway. My problem with this team is that we give up on matches too easily. It's been a steadily growing problem since last season. If Everton go ahead, why should I believe we won't do it again? They are the team in form. They are the more attacking team with better attacking options. And unfortunately, given their win on Tuesday, they still have a shot at top 4, so they still have something to play for. So do we, obviously. But then it hasn't been that obvious in our efforts. Offensively, we look disjointed and, despite the fact that we've managed to put one in the net in most of our games recently, I have a hard time seeing where the goals will come from.

So, since I don't see us holding them to one, I don't see how we win this match. I'm sure they could come out flat. Or perhaps tired from their midweek match even. Maybe we find a way to score first and it renews the fight in the team. But I don't see those as most likely. Most likely they'll score a couple of goals at some point and, as usual, once something goes against us, heads will hang and eventually several players will start packing it in early. I'll go with 3-1 Everton and hope one of the less likely things happens.

The contrast in how I feel about this relegation fight and the last one is really frustrating. Fortunately Don and I are having another BBBS lunch this week so I'll (we'll) have a chance to vent. :eek:bscene-drinkingbuddies:

3. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Hmm, I'd say the onus of this match might be more about our opponents than us.

Everton trail Arsenal by 6 pts but have a game in hand. Arsenal travel to City on Saturday and may find themselves just 3pts ahead of Everton by the time of our match on Sunday. Oh and the two play another next weekend.

Much like Newcastle had nothing to play for two weeks ago, Everton have it all to play for. So they could go for the jugular; or totally bottle it.

Hope it's the latter...?

4. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

2-1 good guys. yep. that's happening.

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

We're the good guys, right? ;)

6. SoCalJoe

We've been the 'incredibly bad guys' all year. A 0-3, 1-4 is the safe (and ultimately the probable) correct choice, but it's time to reveal my middle name:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH_JRjJtNSw

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I have stopped predicting Fulham results. I do plan to be in the chatroom though.

Everton are very much on the up. With Arsenal struggling, they're smelling the 4th UCL slot. I don't think they'll get it, but they're leaning forward.

8. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Oh, to have snagged Roberto Martinez...as Tiffany once sang: what could've been. My primary hope is for the Toffees to have tired legs, otherwise, I do not possess much in the way of hope for this one. Everton are really, really good at the moment. A draw would be great at this point.

COYW

9. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

I'm confused. What time will the match be here in the states? England spring ahead this weeked, so I think we're back to the pre-USA spring forward times, right?

Anyway, I might be in the chat room. Sundays are my day to wake up with the kid. So depending on when everyone gets up, I might be able to chat. Most likely though, I'll log in but won't be able to participate as I will be busy entertaining the 1.5 year old.

I don't expect a victory; I'll guess 0-2. But I do hope that the lads play a full 90 and put up a good fight. It's depressing how many times I've thought to myself that I should have turned the match off instead of suffering the final 20-30 minutes.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

0830 central Sunday morning.

Here's where you find out what's on NBCSN:

http://www.nbcsports.com/gamefinder

then put in your ZIP and provider

11. sacffc

sacffc Well-Known Member

I just looked at the site and it told me 5:30 AM Pacific which would be 7:30 Central.

12. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

We will lose badly again to far superior and talented team. Mr. Howard can probably start a fire pit behind his net and roast some hot dogs and marshmallows without much bother. He'll see little of the ball, and Roberto's men will eventually slice open our Swiss cheese defense without breaking a sweat. 3-1 Toffees.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Crap, I went to all that trouble and then typed "central" instead of "eastern." that'll larn me.

sorry guys

14. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

15. nevzter

This is great news. He can actually score goals, you know?

16. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Yes, but he can also duff the final dribble and/or pass for an open shot on net.

17. nevzter

Oh DCH, I've seen that too but it's Friday, time to be happy and looking forward because after 9 or 10am tomorrow, I probably won't be happy...then after 2 minutes I'll head to the park with my kids to kick the ball around and play catch (can't hit the Johnnie Walker after a loss anymore :D )

18. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I think you mean Sunday. ;)

19. SoCalJoe

See Nev, your pre-park Saturday got a whole lot better!! Now about your Sunday... :think:

20. nevzter

wow, saturday is coming up milhouse now, but my sunday just got a whole lot worse... ;)