FULHAM v. Charlton [R]

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, Oct 12, 2006.

?

You've seen the game, but now who's your Man of The Match??

1. Zat Knight

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Ian Pearce

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Brian McBride

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Claus Jensen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Franck Queudrue

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Papa Bouba Diop

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Antti Niemi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Great second half from Fulham!! A fantastic win as well. I was nervous about this match. Despite Charlton being at the foot of the table, I thought they would trouble Fulham and for periods of the first half, they did.

In both halves, Fulham showed a fighting spirit and gave 100% the whole time which is to be commended.

McBride was great as was Claus Jensen when he came on.

Some observations:

1. Papa Bouba Diop is lost and out of shape on the pitch. I thought he should have been subbed off instead of Helguson.

2. Pearce and Knight looked solid together in the back yet again. They are forming a solid partnership. I never really thought I would say Ian Pearce looked good but he did today.

3. Routledge started slowly and looked out of it in the first half, but the second half he played very well.

4. All of the injuries may have ultimately been a blessing in disguise. We now know if need be a number of players like Bocanegra, Volz and others can play out of position.

5. While not fantastic, I thought Radzinski did reasonably well today.

2. martin

martin New Member

3 points, McBlood scores, Claus back in the side and on the scoresheet. Life is good!

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Yes, this match is on Fox Soccer Channel LIVE at 12:00PM/11:00AM on Saturday. I can't wait!!!

Down, down, down.....Villa's goin' down!!
    Down, down, down.....Villa's goin' down!!

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

5. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

Great result today, I was getting really nervous towards the end. Anyone see Bullard's interview on Sky Sports News after the game? I was only able to catch the end of it.

6. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I never said Fulham was going to suck in October. I said in one of my article's that the four matches in October were going to be huge in figuring out if this team is a contender or a pretender for a top-ten finish.

Perhaps I am perceived as the site's pessimist, which is fine, but I never said that Fulham was going to go down. In fact, I predicted them to win this match and the Watford match as well.

7. rumstove

rumstove New Member

That's the same thought that was mentioned in the chat room during the match.

Great win for Fulham. I was a bit nervous near the end, but Fulham got all 3 points. I really liked the line-up at the start of the game, and I was happy C.Jensen was the first sub on (although why take HH off and not Diop, eh whatevs we won). C.Jensen is back...and he made sure everyone knew it! Now hopefully he stays injury-free for awhile.

8. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I think we all have to agree that the first half was just crap and in all honesty we were lucky not to have gone into the half 1-0 down.

The second half was a different story for us and McBrides goal was a beauty and credit must go to C. jensen for the delivery.

The second goal, well what can we say, Jensen did it again and smacked the ball in the back of the net...great run by him to put himself into some space.

My MAN OF THE MATCH is easily PEARCE. The man is posessed and is the reason we went in to the first half 0-0.

COME ON YOU WHITES!

9. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Great match. Hard to see on the replay if the ball hit Brian's arm or chest. Anyone get a better view of it? Either way was a super strike and Fulham gets the 3 points!!!

Top half of the table. Life is grand!

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Sorry; that wasn't a reproachful post, that was intended to be sharing the gloating over the points. Never saw you as a pessamist, pard.

11. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am with you sharing in the gloating myself Don. What is funny is that for all the hoopla over Aston Villa's unbeaten start, if Fulham beats them on Saturday, they will move ahead of the Villians.

Onwards and upwards for Fulham my friends!!! COYW!!

12. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I'm thrilled! I was able to slip away and see it live and it did not disappoint.

McBride was very sharp, very active. It had to feel good for Claus, we really need him to stay healthy. I thought Knightmare played pretty well. Diop? I really didn't think he was to bad. Perhaps I'll go back and watch a replay.

It was a game we should win and we did. Villa will be a challenge, hopefully were up to it.

13. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I didn't think Diop played very well against Charlton...sat back and made some very good passes to the other team (I feel for you big guy, I do the same thing). I was suprised to see Helguson come off instead of Diop for Claus.

It was a good 3 point pick-up. We're above Liverpool--for now. 8)

14. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

15. americanmike

Vote for your MOTM

Now you can vote for your man of the match.

16. ChicagoFan

ChicagoFan New Member

My Man of the Match is that poor bastard for Charlton who took one right in the jewels off the McBride turn-and-volley. :shock: Yee--ouch! :shock:

The best part was all the other players smirking at the poor guy. Even the linesman couldn't contain his smile. To his credit, the poor bastard managed a smile himself along the sideline.

17. americanmike

I just get my head around Diop and why he is certainly underperforming. A few of you mention it above and I agree that he just doesn't seem to be playing near his best. He is key to a successful campaign and he needs to step it up.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

With all the talk about how well we've done with the injuries, etc., it's almost gone unremarked how well we've played with an underperforming Papa and Boa. I'm hoping that folks like Boca and Volzy are getting props in places other than this site. I don't know where we'd be without them, even given their limitations.

If we can keep this intensity going when the Wardrobe gets motivated and Boa gets his groove back, then look out the EPL -- here come the Mighty Whites!

19. WonsanUnited

WonsanUnited New Member

Seriously! When I was watching the match the first thing I saw was Diop make a $h1tty challenge for the ball after screwing up his pass. He's way too lazy. Please send in Jensen for the next match.

20. BC

BC New Member

Agreed. Diop was not in form this match. He passed the ball directly to Charlton at least 2 or 3 times if not more. He wasn't the only one, though; we gave the ball away WAY too much in the first half.

I love the way McBride plays: always hustling, mixing it up and working hard. Claus was a great boost as well. He came on and really energized the team.

All in all, not a pretty win but a win nonetheless. Let's relish being above Liverpool on the table!

I can only dream of how we'd be doing with everyone back from injury...