Fulham v. Boro [R] 12/20 10AM EST

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by DCDave, Dec 15, 2008.

1. jmh

jmh New Member

And since we were talking about this at the bar... This was the first time Fulham have scored three or more goals in a win since beating Man City 3-2 this past April; first time Fulham have won a competitive match by three goals or more since beating then-Championship Stoke City 3-0 in the FA Cup in January of 2007; first time winning a league match by three goals or more since beating WBA 6-1 in February 2006; first time scoring more than three goals in a league match while keeping a clean sheet since beating Norwich 6-0 on the last day of the 2004-05 season.

2. TheOldBugger

TheOldBugger New Member

glad to be of service JMH :banana: :lol: 8)

3. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

This was an excellent game, a dominating performance by Fulham with a dominating result. I still don't fully believe the 14 shots on target as Middlesbrough defenders did a good job getting in the way of a number of shots in the first half. But Fulham really poured it on. I really only remember one defensive miscue, where Konchesky gave up possession too easily outside oft he box - which was quickly repaired when Konchesky got it back. Other than that, the defense was solid but didn't have to do too much.

Fulham just kept storming down through the middle. Bobby Zamora was a revelation and it was also agreed at the bar that he's a great forward - except that he's not a good finisher. It really showed today. AJ did as well up front. Fair play to Bullard and Dempsey for getting into the right places at the right time with the right finish to give us a goal for every point.

We heard the fans quite well on TV and we dug the Santa crew (complete with Scooby-Doo head man) as well. Not as much as this guy in the Hull-Sunderland game who had world-class sized ears; but all the same.

Fantastic result by the Whites and we hope it continues to roll on through the Spurs and That Other Team in West London in the coming weekend.

4. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Figures -- I miss the whole damn game (visiting in-laws, long story), and I miss a true ass whipping by the Whites. I checked the match tracker and they made a bif deal about Pantsil's missed header. I guess that's why he plays defense.

I will not be missing future games as a result of superstitions about my absence.

Great job Whites!!!

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

umm... it's up to you, but it worked for me with the Crew. That {'would you miss every game if it meant your team would do well?'} would be a great poll question in the future sometime. Like in June.

I had different reasons for missing the game. Nonetheless I'm thrilled too... seems like Roy's long term 'coherent' plan is working.

Shades of Sigi.

Steve.. I'll post your submission early in the week.

6. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

No problem Jim, thks.

7. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Highlights I found so far:

http://www.troodi.com/media/6967/Fulham ... ighlights/

What a massive win going into the break!!!

I too missed it live, but the kids in Soccer Academie INTER98 won't coach themselves. Watched or not, I'll take this early Holiday present.

We're 8th in the League!!!

8. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Thanks for the first-hand account oldbugger. "Boro were lucky to get nil"- LOL.

Very interesting thought on the Zamora singing. Do you really think they were singing that to get Jimmay thinking? I know I really wanted him to score - it had nothing to do with Bullard.

I wish I could've been there.

9. TheOldBugger

TheOldBugger New Member

I think you could be right Mo,but I do honestly think there has been a shift of opinion regarding Jim,all the pub talk before the Match was that he(or his agent) was forcing the contact issue and everybody I spoke to said"if he wants to stay fine,if we get a good offer for a 30 year old with knackered knees let him go,it's not like he's going to get any better!"
    I do think this has dented his reputation somewhat.
    Zamora was a Durracell Bunny today-he ran allday and was everywhere!

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Josh, thanks for the clarification of the score margins. I thought it was either Norwich or WBA [turned out to be both], but I couldn't remember the year.

Our midfield bossed theirs off the pitch. This is something I haven't seen a Fulham side do in a match for a good three full seasons.

Man of the Match: tie between Murphy and Zamora. And a big shout out to Bradley35, who provided the very best video link I've seen yet -- NO BUFFERING AND ENGLISH COMMENTATORS. Oh, and WTF with Gentleman Jim?

Oh, and OldBugger -- you were missed this morning in the chatroom, although ALL of us wish we had been there with you. Well done, old son. You got your yank mates three!

Bring on the London garbage! [Sorry Jensers]

11. BarryP

BarryP New Member

We had several Duracell Bunnies today because AJ seemed to run a marathon and Murphy was EVERYWHERE. Murphy was Mr. No Problem:

Need at tackle - No Problem I got it.
    Need a PK scored - No Problem I got it
    Need an assist - No Problem I got it.

12. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

8th place w/a +4 GD... :banana:

Tried to pop into the chatroom after the 1st goal before heading over to the in-laws for tamale making, but the laptop refused to cooperate. I'm sure a good time was had by all.

Have to agree w/Mo OB's 'Boro was lucky to get nil' is the line of the day.

13. jmh

jmh New Member

Two games in the next eight days - what break? :shock:

I wasn't there and can't tell you what the crowd was thinking, of course, but my hunch is that the singing for Zamora was just because he was having a really good game. No offense to Gera, but I thought we came alive after that substitution. With Zamora and Johnson up top and four in the midfield, everybody knows his role; with Dempsey nominally playing striker but truly a midfielder, it was much less clear.

14. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Oh man. Fantastic. Come get some, Spurs.

15. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Etuhu exists! :banana: :banana:

16. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Indeed! :banana: That drops him out of the running for the 2nd annual "Lee Cook Award"...

The dude has some size and strength. Good to see him fit and a classy showing by the crowd for the cheer when he took his first touch.

Andreason has grown a mini-fro since the last time I saw him play!?!

The 3rd goal was a sublime team effort...as was the whole day.

COYW!!

17. Jensers

Jensers New Member

What a great match. I really enjoyed it...

I thought it was strange that Roy looked like he wanted to tear someone in half when they flashed to him after Demps scored... But that is Roy I guess.

18. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Just saw on Sky Sports that we have the most points in home games this year (20) than any other team in the EPL.

Man U was tied with someone else with 19, but they have played two less games at home than us at this point.

But still pretty great to see Fulham up there.

19. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

20. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Along with the wins against the yids and 'scum, of course. :wink: