Fulham v Aston Villa - Championship Playoff Final

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by astroevan, May 22, 2018.

1. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

According to Sky it was Cairney: http://www.skysports.com/football/a-villa-vs-fulham/report/389284

I also wrestled with the decision between Cairney and Ream. Both played excellently. Ream did his usual work deflating Villa's offensive hopes and his blocked shot in the dying minutes (that GJ incorrectly credited to Bettinelli) was critical. However I gave the edge to Cairney because of the decisive score.

Voting on the website is still open as of now: http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/may/26/man-of-the-match-vote-play-off-final

2. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Its been 4 days and I'm still speechless. So happy, so surreal. Did Fulham just win of their final 25 of 27 matches? Survive 20 odd minutes down a man but never felt overwhelmed in a "cup" final?

Is this bliss?

3. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

The more I watch this, the more amazed I am at the play that led to the goal by Sessegnon. As a graphic I saw somewhere else on the internet displayed, 99.999% of the players alive make that pass to the outside of the last defender. Sess not only splits the defenders, but weights the ball perfectly so that only Cairney can get to it first, and in the best possible position to shoot without the keeper getting too close. And, as the announcers like to say, TC made no mistake. Made it look all too easy, but you KNOW it's not, especially in that situation. Cool as the other side of the pillow. Just an emphatic capper on the most incredible season. I can't stop watching this....or smiling.

4. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

I've come to realize in repeated viewings of the match that Fulham was totally unfazed my Wembley and the high stakes of the match. That is a credit to the coaching staff and the players that they went out there as if it was any other match in the middle of the season.

Fulham1879 FanTV has posted an hour (!) long video that covers the fan's view across the entire day. It is lengthy, but I didn't mind watching it. If you don't have an hour to spare, here's some of the good stuff:
    • 6:46 - A double decker bus of Fulham supporters drives by a crowd gathered at one of the pubs for Fulham supporters, so much Fulham love
    • 14:20 - Entering the stadium and seeing all of the other fans
    • 17:49 - Crowd reaction to goal
    • 20:55 - Odoi sent off
    • 22:37 - Closing minutes and final whistle
    • 25:20 - Raising the trophy from the owner's box
    • 26:05 - Posing with the trophy in front of the "We're Going Up" banner on the field
    • 28:45 - Ream telling the crowd to say his name
    • 28:54 - My new favorite song with the lyrics "Mitro's on fire! You're defense is terrified, Mitro's on fire!"
    • 32:55 - Tom Cairney's Mom
    • 41:37 - Former Villa player, Gordan Cowans, congratulates Fulham on their victory
    • 43:54 - Short interview with Mitrovic
    • 44:19 - Short interview with McDonald
    • 44:28 - Interview with Ream, who is also part of the marketing department and has to take some posters home?
    • 46:06 - Very short interview with Sessegnon
    • 46:25 - Interview with Jokanovic, bonus - at 48:33, he smiles AND laughs!
    • 50:48 - An apology of sorts to John Terry
    • 53:55 - Some very drunk Villa fans share their thoughts

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    encorespanish, jumpkutz and SoCalJoe like this.
  5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

6. jumpkutz

Watched the whole thing last night. Slow in spots, but, overall, much fun.

7. jumpkutz

8. jumpkutz

Still can't stop smiling after over a week.

encorespanish and MicahMan like this.
  9. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Fulham posted this recap of promotion Saturday:

Watching this stuff still hasn't gotten old yet!

Is this possibly a sign of more shareable stuff being posted to YouTube? I hope so.

jumpkutz and encorespanish like this.
  10. jumpkutz

“Fulham attacking the goal to our right. 22 minutes gone, goalless here at Wembley. Here’s Ryan Sessegnon, lovely footwork from him. Slides it through, here’s a chance, Tom Cairney, EEYYYEEEAAAHHHHH!!!! COME ON (unintelligible) FOR FULHAM!!! THE CAPTAIN’S DONE IT, HE’S SLID IT IN! WHAT A FINISH FROM TOM CAIRNEY! COME ON FULHAM! COME ON FULHAM! COME ON YOU WHITES!!!”

sacffc, dtowndough, HatterDon and 2 others like this.