Fulham v Aston Villa - Championship Playoff Final

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by astroevan, May 22, 2018.

1. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

2. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Absolutely Brilliant, FFC! I havent been following much but I have the same feeling of many years ago...

4. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

If there could be a Fulhamish way to get promoted that was it! Start the season in poor form, go down to 17th place, then turn things around and go on a 23 game unbeaten streak, finally lose in the last game of the season that causes the team to miss out on automatic promotion, lose two games in a row for only the second time in the season, win to move on from the most unlikely of goals - a header from a short defender on a corner, then go up early in the final, then go down to 10 men when the hero from the last match is sent off, suffer through a nauseating 25 minutes, and then win promotion. This team. I love them.

5. jumpkutz

I'll be watching these until bed time....

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

So, here's a weird thing. I was expecting a flying visit from an out-of-town beloved friend -- max three hours. She said she'd be here at 8, but didn't get here until 10.

I won't post this on Facebook since she's a FB friend and I don't want to make it sound like I'm blaming her, but I missed the match entirely. Hoping for a replay at some point, but I couldn't be happier right now if i had watched it live. As a matter of fact, I think watching us go down to 10 might have been a little heavy on my dicky ticker.

Glad so many did watch it, and looking forward to next season! It's a great day to be Fulham.

7. SullyTexan

SullyTexan Active Member

Guys I have to say that was the best sporting events I’ve ever been a part of. We were so effing loud that I rarely heard the Villa supporters at all. After the first 20 minutes I had no doubt we would win other than some BS fluke. I have to say I chatted with multiple villa fans before and after the match and it was all kosher. I was expecting a bit more hostility but found none. The Fulham faithfully were en fuego. It was that loud. I have not seen the replay on the red card but it seemed harsh from my vantage point but I was in the ass end of our goal so hard to say, the Brummies were pretty much gone within 10 minutes after the final whistle and the lads were walking around firing us up. I will post a pic or two later but my damn phone died at halftime. After about 10 minutes after the red card I think everyone thought we got this. Incredible experience and so glad we are back in the EPL. So proud of the Fulham supporters, incredible display today. Off to bed now.

8. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Seen from my vantage point 3,500 miles away it was a clear yellow and therefore a red for the second yellow. It could have even been a straight red for some refs. As soon as it happened I started muttering "Oh he's gone, he's gone, he's gone.... yep, he's gone. We're done." I was right about Odoi being gone, but wrong about being done thank goodness.

And thank you for the in-person updates @SullyTexan ! Can't wait to hear more!

9. sacffc

sacffc Well-Known Member

The look on Scumbag Terry's face at the end is worth the price of admission all by itself.

encorespanish and HatterDon like this.
  10. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Such a beautiful play from Sess to Cairney. I was really hoping for some insurance but am so glad that Fulham hung on til the final whistle.

What a great season!

encorespanish likes this.
  11. jumpkutz

This is too good not to share. Ream still drinking it all in after the place has emptied...or is that just the Villa end? Still a great pic. Ream alone on Wembley pitch.PNG

encorespanish, nevzter and MicahMan like this.
  12. SullyTexan

SullyTexan Active Member

My view during the match

Attached Files:

13. SullyTexan

SullyTexan Active Member

To my left

Attached Files:

14. SullyTexan

SullyTexan Active Member

And to the right...

Attached Files:

15. SullyTexan

SullyTexan Active Member

Sun was brutal all game long, that was the only drawback. Used the Fulham clapper thing as a visor near the end of the match as the sun went down. I am taking the white plastic flag they handed out. Pretty cheap thing, but I will take any memorabilia from that match I can. Back out to Henley to visit friends tonight and fly home tomorrow. Picture of my ticket. I noticed at the bottom they must print them early as it had all 4 final teams on it.

Attached Files:

encorespanish and MicahMan like this.
  16. SullyTexan

SullyTexan Active Member

I believe that was taken from the Fulham end. Villa fans disappeared rather quickly.

17. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

10 minutes of highlights via Aston Villa:

Still hoping that Fulham posts the full 90 for everyone to watch like they did with the second leg vs. Derby.

When watching the fans on TV one of my kids asked "Why are they waving garbage bags?" :D

@dcheather feel free to share your thoughts again, Fulham is back in the Premier League! We've missed your insights.

encorespanish and HatterDon like this.
  18. jumpkutz

19. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

And the full 90 minutes is available now too (sadly without much additional footage of the post-match celebrations):
    http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/may/28/90-minutes-final

Fulham was one of the few teams to not offer highlights this season and nothing makes you a lifelong Fulham supporter faster than GJ screaming his head off in joy (or complaining about a stanchion blocking his view, that was when I knew this was the team for me). I hope they open up access again in the Premier League.

All the unintelligible screaming at the end reminded me of this:

encorespanish and jumpkutz like this.
  20. jumpkutz

I haven't been able to find the official MOTM. For me, it was a tossup between Cairney and Ream, and I went with Ream on the offal. Betts didn't have much to do Saturday. He had help, but Ream, handled what token high pressure they chose to exert and made some great decisions in distribution. He's good enough to be a defensive midfielder, but his escapability and backline recovery is also great.

encorespanish likes this.