Fulham v AS(S) Roma

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by sullytex, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Flamingcokecans

Flamingcokecans New Member

I think we need to sit Murphy, but otherwise play our starters against Roma, Then bring Murphy back to lead the Second team against Man City on Sunday, hopefully providing the umph we need to get a reverse result from the Carling Cup match up and then give most of the starting squad 1.5 weeks to prepare for Liverpool.

This should rest Murphy enough to bring him in the mix against Liverpool. There is always something special to Murphy against Liverpool and we will need everything we have because the team is fighting for Rafa, position in the league, and by then all of their injury troubles could easily have left them.

2. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Murphy is out at least until the International Break (mid-Nov).

3. jmh

jmh New Member

Rich at Craven Cottage Newsround says Murphy will be out for three months - has anyone seen confirmation of this?

4. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I didn't see anything on CCN reporting this.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

everything I've seen says 3 weeks

6. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Our GolTV here is in Spanish. I'm recording the match but I'm really hoping I get home to find they went with the English announcers from the stadium.

7. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

it's also on DirecTv 469 i believe.

8. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

@*&#&@*!! My cable company (I must be a masochist to stay with them) changed their lineup and got rid of Gol TV about 4 months ago (so dvr is useless). Bill29, I hope the NY Post doesn't have out on assignment, because we can always count on you to find a feed in the chat room.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and, although I used to get GolTV, evidently I can no longer access it. Looks like I'll be surfin' the net.

10. sullytex

sullytex Member

On my way to the game and picked up a free London rag. This puts things in perspective. Paraphrased...

15 years ago to the day fulham were playing Chesterfield on the road in front of 2800 fans in the old fourth division. Tonight they are hosting AS Roma....

What a comeback indeed!

Feaking trains....I will be lucky to make kickoff. Likely miss the first couple of minutes when Dempsey finds the back of the net.

11. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

DirecTV carries all the Champions League matches live, and all or nearly all of the Europa League matches as well. Starting with channel 461 continuing on up for 10 or 12 channels is the place to look.

12. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Don, you can add it through your remote then cancel it after today and you'll only pay like $2 and change.....fyi.

And lineups:

Fulham: Schwarzer, Kelly, Hangeland, Hughes, Konchesky, Riise, Greening, Baird, Gera, Zamora, Kamara. Subs: Stockdale, Pantsil, Nevland, Duff, Dempsey, Smalling, Anderson.

Roma: Doni, Burdisso, Mexes, Andreolli, Riise, Taddei, Brighi, De Rossi, Guberti, Okaka Chuka, Menez. Subs: Lobont, Pizarro, Vucinic, Julio Baptista, Perrotta, Greco, Cassetti.

Not exactly "going for it" as many had hoped, but not a full B team either.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Hands up everyone who predicted a midfield of Riise, Greening, Baird, and Gera.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

14. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Hudson is hilarious! He talked about our old crest and went on a rant about how our current one is stupid and how the old one was great. He even went so far as to describe the old shield. He called our currewnt crest "stupid ffc". It was a good moment.

However, not as good as the Hangeland goal! COYW!

15. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Stomach. Punch.

16. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I wanna throw up.

17. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

We blew 3 points. We sat back and let them pile on pressure which was always going to result in a goal. Even with 11 men, we gladly waited until they had the ball near the 18 yard box until we put pressure on them. I have no clue why we sat back for periods of the game. It's fucking mind boggling and it was obviously a fucking strategy as we did that the minute the whistle for the 2nd half blew. What the fuck was our management team thinking?

For fucks sake we could've been in brilliant position to win the fucking group. We must win our last 2 group games to go through. We will get sluaghtered like cows in Rome and must win the last 2 games. If we don't, I fear for our Europa league future.

18. ja_altieri

ja_altieri New Member

I agree we blew it

Kelly's foul was not smart to say the least but I couldn't stand the way we played the last 20 or so minutes of the match. The goal was unlucky to say the least with just seconds to play and it's tough with a man down but it drives me nuts when the only thought is to just collapse down defensively and pray with a one goal lead. Play conservative all you want but when in possesion at least play smart and try to keep posssesion on the outside and make at least a passing attempt to stay out of your own zone. Completely frustrating to say the least and I unfortunately was sitting next to the only Roma fan in the Globe who while courteous the whole match smiled when they scored, said "Great goal" and left without watching the last 20 seconds. I hate to say it but after this match and the West Ham match I'm having flashbacks of two years ago when we couldn't keep the ball out of the back of our own net with less than 10 minutes to go. I'm probably being too negative but this kind of late mentality on defense almost sent us to relegation once and I don't want to see it again. Except for Schwartzers great pk save we should have lost.....somehow we need to find a way to win games when we get an initial break like that and not give up the great effort at the end. Just frustrated.

19. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Agree that this is a point earned b/c Fulham should've lost (God bless you Schwarzer!!!)

F*#$ DeRossi, first, then F@#% Roma. While I don't share in the totality of FFC24's comments, I agree that Fulham should've never gone negative. Roma isn't that much more quality than Fulham, if at all, so I don't agree they'll be slaughtered in Rome.

Umm, isn't a red based on intent? And while a definite penalty, I didn't see any intent in the tackle that resulted in the red.

20. MisfitKid

MisfitKid New Member

I'll second that Steve... :3d crying:

As much as I hate ESPN Gamecast, some of the Live Commentary is hilarious: "That was Zamora's last involvement, he comes off and Erik Nevland comes on. He's like Villa's Heskey is Zamora, he's got a good all round game but just can't score for toffee." :shock: