Fulham v. Arsenal

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Team_of_McBrides, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

It's Monday and we forget about the disappointment of the past weekend and look towards this weekend's fixture at the cottage.

My lineup:

Aussie

Pantsil, Kallio, Hangeland, Konchesky

Gera (or Dempsey), Andreasen, Bullard, Davies

Zamora, AJ

Will be estatic if Fulham manages a result against Arsenal. They didn't look that great this past weekend so hopefully that carries over to this weekend.

2. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

I think I've come up with a lineup to address everybody's complaints about the Hull game (3-5-2):

GK: Schwarzer
    RCB: Stoor (because Pantsil is pants lolololol)
    CB: Hangeland
    LCB: Baird (Hughes is too short)
    RM: Davies (player of the year gets a free pass)
    CM: Andreasen (why not?)
    CM: Bullard or Murphy (but not both, because clearly they are not capable of playing together ever [ignoring all of the games we won late last season in which they both started])
    CM: Andranik (looked great against Hyundai Motors FC)
    LM: Konchesky (Gera is worthless on the left, Konchesky can't defend)
    F: John (AJ not match fit, Seol is crap, Healy is a championship player)
    F: E Johnson (Zamora is crap, Nevland is only a super-sub)

In seriousness, I'd go similar lineup to last week with a few changes. Andreasen or Dempsey in the central midfield, F5 for Seol if he's ready to go, and Baird or Kallio at CB if Hughes is unavailable.

We'll probably lose, but stealing a point would be awesome. A win would be Fulhamish.

3. Team_of_McBrides

Hughes is actually taller than Baird by 3 inches. (Hughes is 6'0" and Baird is 5'9"). Many have blamed Hughes in ability to win a header based on his height. I believe it comes down to his positioning and lack aggression. If you are looking for size, look no further than Kallio (6'3") and a versatile defender. Lets see what he has to offer.

4. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

BZZZZZZZZZZT!

I'm sorry, you've pressed the Baird button and that will send you directly to jail. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

let's see; heading ability and height. Last season, the EPL's three tallest players were Edwin Van der Sar, Peter Crouch, and Zat Knight [all pretty much the same height].

Of the EPL CBs I've seen over the last 10 years or so, Zat is probably the worst I've seen in the air. Boca was a good 6 inches shorter than Knight-mare and was significantly better in the air offensively and defensively. Being tall and being good in the air are NOT the same. Put your measuring tape away, Kev.

What I'd like to see against Arsenal:

---------------------- Aussie ----------------------
    Paintil ---- Hangeland ---- Hughes ---- The Alien
    Davies -- Bullard -- Andreassen -- Gera
    ----------------- Dempsey -----------------
    ----------------- Z-Bird ---------------------

At 45 minutes, bring on AJ [if fit] and Murphy at the expense of Dempsey and either Bullard or Gera [depending on which has been least effective].

Rationale: Use Andreassen, Zamora, and Dempsey to wear Arsenal's kids down. Be aggressive from the git. Bring on AJ for his speed and quickness against a battered defense. Bring on Murphy to look for weaknesses.

Each season, I always figure that our best chances of getting points off the top four are v. Arsenal at home and at Stamford Bridge. Our WORST chances are at Anfield and Old Trafford. If you remember, the only time in recent memory they completely outplayed us was at home last season when -- SUDDENLY -- Arsenal changed their attacking style and Adebayor killed us with three headers. I don't think he'll be able to replicate that against our current crop of central defenders on Saturday.

This Saturday, I don't think Wenger will have close to who he wants to have on the pitch, and I think we can stay with what he'll field. I'll go with the 1-1 again, with the real possibility of even taking all three.

OH, AND LET DAVIES TAKE THE FRICKIN' CORNERS!

6. jmh

jmh New Member

Re: RE: Fulham v. Arsenal

According to the club website, the difference in height is actually 4 centimeters in Hughes's favor. I agree with you that the issue is not height* but rather positioning and the like. Kallio is an interesting idea and I'd even give the young Aussie a look (but not against Arsenal). I think the thing is, against Arsenal is just the wrong time to make wholesale changes and have the guys trying to play a new formation and/or with teammates they're unfamiliar with.

* I mean, height is still a factor, sure. For instance, Zat Knight also lacked great positioning instincts and didn't really get himself all that far off the ground all that often, but he was so tall that he did a decent job in the air nonetheless. Hughes doesn't have height to fall back on, but as I've said before, you don't NEED to be a giant to be a decent center back.

7. richardhkirkando

Re: RE: Fulham v. Arsenal

But replacing a too-short Hughes with Kallio wouldn't be as absurd! I agree though, I would like to see what Bonecrusher can do.

8. Team_of_McBrides

RE: Re: RE: Fulham v. Arsenal

I am hoping that we at least get to see Kallio feature in some prominent matches this year. Hughes is making some Boca like mistakes on defense. (Pains me to say it, Boca was the man) Boca made up for his lapses in defense though on set pieces, 50/50 opportunities and aggression. All of which Hughes seems to go missing on. Lets see what Kallio's got.

9. jpoler1

jpoler1 New Member

RE: Re: RE: Fulham v. Arsenal

---------------------Schwarzer ----------------------
    Stoor ---- Hangeland ---- Hughes ---- Konchesky
    -----Davies -- Bullard -- Murphy -- Seol----------
    ----------------- Dempsey ---------------------------
    ----------------- Zamora ----------------------------

Since when did anyone start calling Zamora, Z-bird?

10. jmh

jmh New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Fulham v. Arsenal

I'm intrigued by the idea of Dempsey playing behind a single striker and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

11. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Fulham v. Arsenal

So I need to do another podcast this week. If anyone is interested, and can chat for a whole 15 minutes, email me at timmyintransit@gmail.com and we'll work something out.

My prediction will be in that.

12. ohio4fulham

ohio4fulham New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Fulham v. Arsenal

I had posted a lineup similar to this in the lead-up to the Hull game and I still like it, although they'll definitely need their defenseive heads in the game come this weekend ...

..............Schwarzer.............
    Stoor ... Hang ... Hughes ... Konch
    ...Davies........Bullard...Gera....
    ............Dempsey...............
    ....Nevland............Zamora

I'd like to see Dempsey play behind two strikers ...

13. Bradical

Bradical Member

I have a good feeling about this game. Arsenal wasn't very impressive against West Brom, and I think our boys will urn it around sooner than later.

Schwarzer
    Pantsil - Hangeland - Hughes - Konchesky
    Davies - Bullard - Gera - Andreassen
    Dempsey
    Zamora

subs: Seol, AJ, Murph

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

about 12 months after we started calling Konchesky "The Alien"

15. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I believe Fulham has quite a few players out on international duty this week, so we could see some very tired legs vs. Arsenal, or possibly a very different lineup from this past Saturday. I would imagine Arsenal is in the same boat, if not worse-off though.

16. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

------------Aussie-----------
    Pants--Hughes--Hangman--The Alien
    Davies--Bullard--Murph--Dempsey
    --------Gera----------------
    ---------------Z-bird-------

Gera withdrawn from Z-bird. Brin on F-5 at the half for Murph, switch to a normal 4-4-2 with Gera dropping back into Murph's spot.

17. richardhkirkando

Hughes is out for the Northern Ireland friendly. That might just be by request from us, but there's a possibility he may not be available against Arsenal.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

You guys may forget that the first two or three weeks of every season feature two matches per week. If this wasn't a WC qualifying weekend, there'd be another league or cup match today or tomorrow anyhow.

19. ToviFromSantaBarbara

ToviFromSantaBarbara New Member

F5 = andy johnson? if so, someone bring me up to speed here.

20. JustinR

JustinR New Member

I never want to see Baird in the line up again. I have always liked Dempsey in the middle of the field, he doesn't have the speed or crossing ability to play wide and he is not a natural striker. So I would go 4-5-1. With the midfiled looking like:

Stoor---Hangeland---Hughes---Konchesky

Davies---Bullard---Andreasen---Dempsey---Gera

Zamora