Fulham USA playing experience

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Apr 24, 2008.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Hey, over the years I've learned a lot about fellow posters on this site. One thing I've learned is that several of us have played football at several levels. But this has been learned over several threads and in the chatroom. So, below list (a) when you played (b) what level (c) positions (d) best position (e) other football experience. I'll start:

a. 1966-1975 [ages 19-29 roughly]
    b. English pub teams [Sunday Leagues]; several USAF teams in England
    c. In sequence -- Centre-forward, left wing, left mid, sweeper
    d. left wing, sweeper
    e. AYSO coach 1976, 77,[TX] 83, 84 [MD]; official 77, 78 [Greece]

I know we've got some high-quality players on this site -- most notably Godfather American Mike.

So, who's next?

2. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Great thread Don! I will be the first to step up and tell you about my soccer inexperience.

a. 1 year in the early mid 70's
    b. A youth rec league
    c. My strongest position was probably the bench but I played left back.
    d. See above.
    e. Youth coaching and assitant coaching for the really young ages for the better part of 12 years.

I quit after one season because I was used to being one of the better players in the sports I was more familar with. Little did I know that one of the kids I couldn't keep up with would turn into a 2 time high school all-american, a first team collegiate all american and play professional soccer at various levels in the US including winnng the USL defender of the year and playing in the MLS with both Columbus and Tampa Bay.

I can often currently be found standing in the middle of a goal (mostly as a stationary object) watching my 13 year old son shoot balls into places I cannot reach. Just for the record he does enjoy taunting me with rolling eyes when the only part of my body that moves is my head to turn and watch a ball hit the side netting.

3. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

a) I played soccer for about 1 week in 8th grade during P.E. because I had to, and I have no idea what position I was
    b) level, well....huh....not really sure there is a defination for this level
    c) left 'out', bench, sidelines, fan, coach
    d) best position: fan in front of the TV
    e) coached AYSO K-League for 2 years for my daughter

How's that for experience? :)

4. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

(a) when you played (b) what level (c) positions (d) best position (e) other football experience:

(a) I started playing at the age of 8 and continued on until the age of 14. I"m actually quite mad that I stopped playing because I was a decent player and probably could have made my high school team. But all my friends had quit playing when they were like 10 so it was difficult for me to continue playing because the team I played for had players who lived in my neighborhood where I had lived when I was younger, but had moved away from there about 4 years earlier.

(b) I started playing in the rec league then played competition for 3 years.

(c) I'm 6'3" so when I started out I played center forward because I was really tall and scored a lot of goals because I was bigger than everyone and could kick the ball harder than everyone (had a classic goal from over the halfway line). Then I played goalie and center mid.

(d) I would have to say holding mid, although that was back in my trimmer days! When I played rec ball, my dad coached my team and moved me from center forward to goalie and center mid. He always said I was better in goal but I wanted to play in the field. One particular match we played a team from Park City...they were good and my Dad knew from watching them warm up. It was customary for me to play goalie the first half, then come out and play center mid in the second. I made about 5 or 6 saves in the first half and the score was deadlocked at 0-0, although we had very little going for us. My dad wanted me to stay in goal but I whined and complained and so he made the switch. That team from Park City ran all over us in the second half and scored 4 goals and we lost 4-0. Park City is a about a 30 minute drive up into the mountains from Salt Lake and my Dad never said anything like "that's why I wanted you to stay in goal" the whole way home. He knew I'd learned my lesson.

(e) Played in a co-ed indoor league last fall...the first time I've played competitive football since my comp days. (I do say competitive cuz the women are more feisty than the men). The one thing I do have is good vision...now if only my technique and touch were better, not to mention if I were only 40 pounds lighter! :)

5. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

(A) From the age of 6 to present. So 1991-Now

(B) Youth soccer leagues, high school, weekly pick up games and college intramurals

(C) Everything from Goalie to Striker

(D) Holding Mid or Center Mid

(E) Youth soccer coach. Coaching the young ones is a lot harder than it seems.

6. Fulhamburger

Fulhamburger New Member

My first time playing organized soccer was this year at Kansas State in a rec league.

I played where they put me which included right back, goalie, and striker.

7. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Re: RE: Fulham USA playing experience

how did you hold up? what was your favorite place to play? any sweet volleys for a goal? :lol:

8. andyns

andyns New Member

RE: Re: RE: Fulham USA playing experience

a. 1988-present [ages 5 on]
    b. Provincial Level, including 2 national championships
    c. Keeper, tall and too lazy to run
    d. Keeper
    e. Coaching high school

I still play now, although not this summer. I was an okay keeper, but I played a winter sport (curling) which held back my football a bit, because all the other fellas played indoor over winter. And there was another keeper in my city who was better (played in England for Sheffield Wednesday reserves and for Canada's national youth teams) so I was always overlooked.

9. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

a. 1994-present. The 94 World Cup was my awakening.

b. got to play at Penn State University for two years before nose diving in school and joining the Air Force. Now I play on my base's Sunday league team.

c. Typically I play a right winger position for my crosses, but when i am winded i move to the striker or sweeper positions.

d. best position - coach. I could easily replace Derby's manager and do no worse!

e. right now I am coaching U12 girls, and they are pretty good. You can see how much soccer is growing day in and day out down there. I love it, though there are times when I wish I was coaching boys again. It's just a completely different world dealing with girls at that age.

10. EricD

EricD New Member

a) 1977-present

b) started in AYSO, went to club, throughout high school (Capt), did not get recruited, so no college level (in retrospect I should have tried b/c I played on a club with several players from UCSB and Westmont as a sweeper at that time). Took a break for a couple of years after college, then found some competitive Sunday league teams in LA and Orange County. That all ended when I ruptured my Achilles (plus there were too many fights on Sunday). Rehabbed, put on all kinds of weight and joined a 35 and over league and been there ever since (41 now).

c) midfield (all positions - more center though), sweeper and up front as a holding striker (never fast enough for through balls)

d) center mid (I play that now and it was always the one I preferred)

e) coaching AYSO as a volunteer - my son is almost 1, but I hate to see fathers out there teaching a game they do not know. I was with a u-10 all star team that lost in the regional finals just recently. Man, some of those kids were really good - way better than I ever was at that age. I just got asked to coach a U-12 AYSO plus team with a good friend. I think I am going to get my E "badge" and continue coaching (as well as playing).

The best thing that ever happened to me with regards to learning was at soccer camp. Some of the coaches saw that my step brother and I showed ability when we were about 12, so they told us to play in the short sided games with them after the camp training. There were guys from England, Mexico, South America (former pros), etc..., and it was great. Some of the mistakes I made there I will never make again because they yelled at me for them (we got to play with them every year from then on). To this day, short sided games are the most enjoyable.

I love that I can watch games pretty much all the time now. It drives the wife nuts because I have so many games on the DVR. I wish we got more coverage when I was a kid (still am in many ways).

Thanks for reading, I kind of got on a roll (at least as far as I was concerned).

11. Terrier4FFC

Terrier4FFC New Member

a & b) I learned to play while my dad was on sabbatical in England in the mid-70s. Locally, there was no opportunity to play when I was young, except the occasional pick up game. More recently, I've been playing in an adult league since 2001 or so, and I love it.

c) Mostly on defence, but like to play mid. I'm not strong enough that it really matters which side, or where. You've seen (or imagined) chickens with their heads cut off. It's not quite like that, but close.

d) We got my son into rec league as a kindergartener and he has been playing ever since. I coached early, but they very soon outgrew my ability to help. Now that he is 16, he is on my adult league team. It's one of life's real satisfactions.

Also, I'm a big fan of both boys and girls soccer at the high school where I teach.

12. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

(a) when you played and (b) what level:

High School (1988), College (1991), and until the day I die, God willing (R.I.P.).

(c) positions:

Left or Right Winger, mostly.

(d) best position:

The Chad Barrett Garbage Goal Collector.

(e) other football experience:

Did an interview and started a Youth Soccer Club. But mostly continue to be a HUGE fan, after many years of not caring. And has helped me lose about 15 pounds, in 2 years of 2 times a week, without changing my diet much (bonus beers!).

Cheers!

13. psand22

psand22 Member

1. I played in rec leagues from (81-84), the athletic director at my high school wouldn't let us get a soccer team back then. He retired two year later and they've had a team ever since. Played intramurals at college and walked on for one season (85-90). I've been playing in the rec leagues off an on, since a move to Columbia. Just started playing in an over 35 indoor league.
    2. I'll be out on the left wing as soon as my quad gets better.

14. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

(a) 1981 - Current
    (b) 1981 - Cub Scout Football, 1984-85 Junior School Football, 1989-1990 Senior School Football, 1993-1994 College Football, 1993 - Current Sunday League Football.
    (c) 1979 - 1990 Left Back, 1993 - 2005 Goal Keeper, 2006 - Current Left Back.
    (d) No best position - I will play anywhere I am asked (quite enjoy right back even though the right foot is for standing on only). I gave up playing in goal due to a series of back injuries, my ankles are shot so I have the turning circle of an oil tanker, as such my career as a useful player is over, but I will play on as needed.

15. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

a) all through my youth, through high school graduation
    b) High school/ regional team level, mostly teams throughout the region of OH/ WV/ Pittsburgh area
    c) Every position on the back line, but mostly right back or center back, and sometimes GK
    d) Either one, but I'll have to say Right Back. Best of all though is spectator, I handled the ball like it was radioactive.
    e) None

At 6' 3" I was almost always the biggest player on the field, but my touch was always terrible. I was willing to throw my ass around and hit people coming down my side; that worked well until the wingers reached an age where they had more skill than me. My best GK memory is robbing someone on a penalty kick -- it was their best striker, I guessed correctly and dove to my right, but didn't stop the ball, only slowed it down a lot, and was able to reach behind me to corral the ball as it was on the line. (Actually, it was all the way over the line, but it sure wasn't called that way and I knew enough to keep quiet! Instant replay was not a staple of leagues in small towns in Ohio.)

16. Jensers

Jensers New Member

(a) when you played And (b) what level
    I am 30 - started at age 5 (1982-3) playing outdoor. Added indoor around age 11. Played for my High Schools, and then went on and played in College (D2). I still play - Mexican League mostly. It is the best competition and most committed players that I can find in amateur leagues... I also play in a co-ed league, but I am not quite ready for that just yet (I still think I am 23). From October to February I play Futsal. Futsal is a GREAT game!!

(c) positions and (d) best Position
    HighSchool and my first college I was an outside mid. I love that position and would still play there, but even tho I think I am still 23, I am not!
    Second college had me playing up top, but I struggled because I needed some training on how to change my technique from a crosser of the ball to a point player and goal scorer. We had what I would describe as a "Less Effective" coach who totally destroyed my confidence and provided no technical training, so once I got away from him, I worked hard to try and learn on my own how to hold the ball and create space for others, and also score goals. Now I put that to work by playing up top.

(e) other football experience
    The first college I went to the coach pushed me into coaching and coaching education. I coached the college team in the off season and also did some little kid coaching on the side. Once I was finished with college and started to settle into life I got back to coaching - starting with a middle school team and then the High School Boys and Girls teams. I also run a futsal league, and a 3v3 tournament in the summer.

I am always looking for tournaments and opportunities to have unique playing experiences, so if anyone needs a player, or plans a playing vacation let me know and I will be there.
    If I was 35 I would go on that trip that is being advertised on World Soccer Daily in Manchester. (Even tho I have very little desire to go to Manchester)...

17. IanHux

IanHux New Member

a)From oh idk 2000-2005. Unfortunately a consistently shifting focus on winning games instead of just playing killed my love of being on the field

b)U-7 up to U-12 (or was it 13?). My team and coach basically stayed the same all the way through. We were regulars in the finals of most tournaments :).

c)Center back, center mid, on rare occasions forward (we played a 3-3-4)

d) Center mid, I didn't really venture up into attack as much as I ran back to help in defense. I basically won the ball and spread it out to the wings.

e) Ambassador (self-proclaimed) of the game to my friends....... An ever bleak battle and many an argument has broken out over the true name of the sport (I don't care what country you're in, its still football. I don't get this "its in america so its soccer and throwball is football. Football my eye, only two people even touch the "ball" with their feet. ok rant over)

18. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

I played for one season when I was five and in kindergarden for a park district team...that's it

In college I played in an indoor league and just for fun with friends every now and then...that's it

19. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Ian... while I can commiserate, with the emphasis on winning over training, it stands to be the problem in all youth sports, not confined to soccer

{e)} I hate to disabuse you, and I hate to keep evoking the mantra, but it's called 'soccer' SPECIFICALLY through the fault and negligence of the predecessor to the FA.
    While FA were waffling over whether Assoc Football or Rugby had the right to the terminology, the colonies {incl Australia and NZ} had no problem and assigned 'football' to their indigenous versions.

You dont get to replay history... I'll tell any Brit, TOUGH SHIT!

20. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

here here . . . to the right honorable PettyFog.

I will never cheer for an American team that adds "FC" to its name, other than my fantasy team which is called Real Soccer FC United