Fulham Transfer Rumours Summer 2005

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by ChicagoTom, May 18, 2005.

1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Well, it looks like Boro are hot on Douala's trail. In short, that means Fulham is out of the running for sure. What is sad is that Fulham cannot and will not try to out spend one Premiership team.

Once again, I am not saying we need to spend boat loads of cash, but it would be nice to know that we can compete against some of the other teams for a players signature on a contract. Right now, if another Premiership team gets involved, there is no way we will sign him. That my friends is a problem.

2. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

The problem is that the club is still to small to turn a profit on a yearly basis. Last year was the first time that Al-Fayed created any type of money and that was till mostly from the Saha deal to ManU. Our problem is that, in being such a small club, we do not have a large enough fan base, and ticket revenue to pay for new players without ending every season in the red.

Something needs to be done, and soon, or this team is going to be back in the Championship (or worse). I'm one of the very few that supports building a new stadium near or on top of the Cottage. More seats means more tickets and more fans and more cash to buy better players. Wishful thinking though I'm afraid.

3. ClevelandSimon

ClevelandSimon Member

Maybe if they lowered the ?20 international shipping charge for merchandise from their website they could make some money from me buying something!!!!!

4. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Or brought something for me to buy in Ohio...lord knows in my state I'd have cleaned them out on Saturday

5. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

While I agree that Fulham is still a small club, anyone with business savvy knows that it takes a decent amount of good players to stay up in the world's best soccer league that is the Premiership.

You are right that we are not turning over profits every season, but let's face it, there are only a handful of teams that are. Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool and maybe a few more. All the other teams are in the red every season.

I know it is not my money that is keeping this team afloat, but if you get into ownership to make a lot of money, you are in the wrong business. Fulham will never make tons and tons of money for the reasons Johnny Cash spoke of before.

I also feel that the club has done a piss poor job of marketing themselves. As someone else mentioned, Fulham just hopes the name will market itself and that no work needs to be done. There is so much money out there they could be getting if they put together a decent marketing campaign in England and maybe even here in the States to a smaller degree.

The bottom line is this....if we do not spend any money on some decent players, we could be in trouble this season. Watching the players in action over two games last week, we need some help in some areas. And let me tell you, selling Steed and Boa is should not be part of that plan. It is going to take a strong, consistent effort to keep Fulham in the Prem for the 2006-2007 season. I am not being negative, I am just being honest.

6. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

We could sign Stefan Postma on loan. Now why couldnt we get Cudicini,Howard or Dudek on loan?They are not gonna start for their teams and they are all decent keepers.Postma is ok but, there are better keepers that we could of got on loan.

7. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am guessing we did not get Cudicini because he is Chelsea's #2, we did not get Tim Howard because he is Manchester United's #2 and I bet we did not get Dudek because Liverpool is probably looking to move him permanently and he could end up their #2 or even #1 as well.

It is not wise to loan your #2 goalie.

8. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Chelsea have 2 top class keepers in their reserves. United have Luke Steele who was already on loan last season with Coventry, and LFC have Reina who will probably be the #1 and then they have Carson who could be the #2 and has already started some games for LFC.Cudicini,Howard,and Dudek are all better than Postma and at least 1 of them would have been available for a season long loan.

9. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Elvis Hammond has joined Leicester City on a Five month loan deal. And City have made a improved bid for Steed. The bid is supposed to be something like 5 mil and Pearce is saying that we should accept it.

10. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Sorry FFC24, but big, proven clubs like Manchester United, Liverpool and Chelsea do not rely on reserve team keepers to fill in for players to go out on loan. In fact the very players you are saying should replace Dudek, Cudicini and Howard are the ones that should go out on loan.

It just makes no sense to send your second best keepers out on loan.

11. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

This is getting a bit scary. From what I am reading City is going to keep bidding until we accept it. If we replace him with a few more players, I would be okay with it, but if we sit on the cash, I will be disappointed.

On a side note, Wigan signed Damien Francis for 1.5 million pounds. We could have afforded him and could have used him.

12. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Sporting have rejected a 6 million Euro bid from Boro for Douala. If Fulham or any other team were to offer something like 8 million Euros then maybe they would accept.

13. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

And we all know the likelihood of Fulham tabling a bid for anyone over 2 million, let alone 8 million is about as good as Australia winning the World Cup.

14. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Found this while lurking on the Offal Messageboard sounds like we are going to be losing Bocanegra and either Steed or Boa Morte.

http://www.clubcall.com

15. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I read this and I am really not surprised. Carlos wants to play in the World Cup next season and if he is not going to play much at Fulham, he wants to go somewhere to get regular first team action.

Personally I would like to see Carlos stay here and give us some depth in the back. The chances of all of our defenders staying healthy this season is slim to none. He will get his chances.

16. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Why would COleman want to let Boca go for free? The defense as it is is horrible so why let go a decent defender for free?He hasnt been given a chance to play at CB and if he did get that chance he would prove to be a good Premieship CB. Plus even if he only started 20 games out of the 38 he would still at least be the 3rd choice CB for the USA.

17. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I do not think they would let him go on a free. He is still under contract which means if he left a club would have to pay something for him. At 25, Fulham would be ridiculous not to get a fee for him.

I think Fulham should hold onto him. The defense was shotty at best last season and we need cover and back-up in all areas back there. Carlos can play in the center and on the left so he is versatile as well.

18. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

yeah, it doesn't make sense to let him go for free, but that's what the webiste claims will happen.

I hope that website is wrong, so far Steed is staying. :D

19. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Wow, I guess I did not read that part. Fulham would be foolish to not try to get a fee of some sort for him. He has value, and we are club with financial needs so it would only make sense to get some money for him.

As I said, I do not want to see him leave. On a similar note, how accurate is this site called Clubcall? I have never heard of it? Is it a tribalfootball.com kind of site that is always reporting bogus rumours?

20. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

He either needs to go where he is a consistent starter or come back home.
    If Cookie aint gonna start him, let him go.

The US Team needs him at CB and Bruce wont play a bench-sitter, no matter if he was at Chelsk__

Sorry, in my mind, USMNT trumps Fulham... all day, every day.
    [​IMG]