Fulham Transfer Rumours Summer 2005

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by ChicagoTom, May 18, 2005.

1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Word in The Guardian today is that Newcastle is once again hot on the trail of Luis Boa Morte. I am not sure where this will go or if Boa is interested, but it is something we will have to keep our eyes on in the next few weeks.

Also, I read that Fulham is possibly looking to sign Everton defender Gary Naysmith. For those who are not familiar with him, he is a defensive centre-half and is 26 years old. Other teams after him are Leeds United and Rangers.

2. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

SOCCEROO NOW AT FULHAM???

I have a hot link to a possible Fulham player who as supposedly already signed!!!!!!

CONTRACT rebel Ahmad Elrich has parachuted from oblivion into the Premier League after yesterday landing a three-year deal with Fulham.

The Socceroo midfielder's career stalled when he walked out on Korean club Busan Icons five months ago citing paperwork irregularities.
    He will be unveiled by the London club early next month, assuming he successfully completes the formality of a medical exam. Elrich has played just 65 minutes of football since December - on both occasions for the Socceroos.

"This is a dream come true for me, what player wouldn't want to play in the premiership,'' said Elrich, whose sparkling three-day audition in London earlier this month convinced manager Chris Coleman to bring him to Craven Cottage.

Fulham will pay Busan $1.2million in two instalments for the most exciting Socceroos prospect since Tim Cahill turned the premiership into his own personal playground with Everton.

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: SOCCEROO NOW AT FULHAM???

I read about this guy and from the sounds of it, if he keeps his head in the game, he is quite a talent. Australians have had some success in the Premiership. Tim Cahill, Harry Kewell, Mark Viduka and Mark Schwarzer are the ones that come to my head at the moment.

I think this is a good signing and can help us out in the midfield. I also like that fact that he is only 23.

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: SOCCEROO NOW AT FULHAM???

Are there any players on the three relegated teams or teams in the Championship Division that you would like to see Fulham go after this summer?

I like Damien Francis from Norwich City. He is a strong, attacking midfielder and scored seven goals for the Canaries this season.

Andy Johnson would be nice, but I think his asking price would be way out of our league. The same could be said of Dean Ashton from Norwich.

Henri Camara is a player that has bounced around a lot the last couple seasons. No matter where he is thougn, he puts the ball in the back of the net. He is currently owned by Wolves, but player for Southampton and Celtic this season. Pending on the asking price, he would be a nice striker to have.

I do think there are some players from these teams that can play in the Premiership. It will be interesting to see where they all end up.

5. AtlantaJohn

AtlantaJohn New Member

Rumours

It is very interesting if you go on the uk sites like BBC they have a section called the gossip column, and in january Fulham were conspicious by their absence, and so far there as not been one rumour about the team again. CC seemed to suggest there is little or no money available for new players, and he seemed quite content on keeping the squad he as, but as in Lee Clarkes case they will be asking him to take a pay cut. Fulham probably need three new players, we need a striker with real pace to compliment Mcbride who should be given the chance to show what he can really do with a regular spot in the team, we should let Andy Cole go, he is done, he always as been a player who misses more than he scores, Collins John as pace and will compliment a Mcbride, but in the premier you need depth. Steed needs to rediscover himself, he is innovative and tricky and would start for most premier teams but as had a so so season, but with the big fellow playing alongside him he might be ready to have a sensational year next season. Depending on the system CC runs you have your wide men in what i believe is the best system 4-4-2, boa is always best when he plays wide and stretches the opponents, he can do that when Mcbride plays in the middle in a 4-4-2 line up, Radzinski is a good player on his day and gives the team width on the right.Legwinski and Pembridge should be let go, they are ordinary at best and ordinary does not cut it in this league, so we need another midfield player, and if Clarke goes its going to have to be someone who will take over in the middle, so we need a younger version of Clarke. Edwin is fine, no problem there just some backup, a good chance next year though to bring a good youngster along. Then the back, when Volz plays like he did the last game his very good, boca probably had his best game all year, maybe the rest helped, but he needs to play in the middle if we keep him, Goma is getting on, and knight needs an experienced hand to lead him, so theres another spot for a new face. So if I cannot read on the BBC about who fulham might be getting i will write my own ideas. Comments.

6. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

7. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Fulham need a Central Defender,Forward, and a couple of midfielders. Some people say Elrich could be a great player. He dosent start for Australia but usually gets about 30 minutes a game.Fulham should try and sign Mila from Wien. He was the best player in the game for both teams when Poland played the US.He could become a world class player.Fulham need a forward because Cole is 33 and Mcbride is 32 plus John hasnt really proved that he can be the 20 goal scorer Fulham needs. Darren Bent from Ipswich would be a great signing.He had 19 goals in the Championship and is only 21.Fulham also need a Central defender. Knight has had a good second half of the season but, he was one of the worst central defenders in the Premiership in the first half.Boca hasnt played in central defense in like 2 years and Goma is gonna be 33.Oguchi Onyewu would be a great signing.He is one of the best defenders in Belgium. He has also played well for the US. He could be a starter in the 2006 WC.

8. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I like this guy! This is not a bad idea, but not quite yet. I am not sure if he has the experience we need in that position, but I do like this kid's upside. I think he would be best suited for a spot in a Coca-Cola Championship team like say...Crystal Palce. They could use someone to replace Tony Popovic. In my opinion, if it weren't for that guy, Palace would still be up in the Premiership.

9. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Right now Fulham need more defenders. Fulham have no depth in defense. Rehman hasnt played many games for Fulham,Knight could be the defender in the second half of the season that got him on the National team or he could be one of the worst Defenders in the Premiership like the first half of the season,and Goma is gonna be 33. Oneywu would help alot and would only be like 1-2 Mil.Fulham should let Green start at LB and buy 1 or 2 central defenders and let Rosenior start at RB.Thats a good defense that would probably not let in 58 goals like this season.

10. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I agree that we need to bolster the defense. We need a left back and we do need some help in the center half position. Perhaps Onyewu would be okay, but I would prefer him in a role where he got a feel for the English game before being thrown into the top flight league in the world. He has the make up and the physique to be a great player.

11. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

Re: RE: Rumours

Tom, I hate to be the sceptic but when I hear a player asking for a new contract after just one season it often means that they want to leave but don't want to be the ones to say it. He'll demand more money and if Fulham tell him 'No' then his agent will start causing trouble - a la Saha - and he'll be off. Don't get me wrong I'd hate to see it.....but he wants more money after just one season.....sounds like he's all about the green.

12. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: Re: RE: Rumours

I am of the belief that a new contract does not always mean a player will stay at the club. In fact, when Boa and Edwin signed extensions this past January, I was not so convinced that it meant they were gonna stay at the club for the length of that contact.

Anyways, you might be right Glen, but I think Papa will stay for at least another season. It will depend how he does next season that will determine his value to other teams.

I hope he sticks around for another season for us. We could use him on the pitch.

13. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Onyewu has played in the UEFA Cup and has played with the US so he has experince at the highest level of Football.Green should start at LB or Fulham could buy someone that will start for a couple of years to let Green go on loan to the Championship.Green has played well at LB when he has started plus he could get into the attack which was a problem for Fulham all season.When he was Sheffield Wednesday he played a game or 2 in Midfield and he had an assist against West Brom.

Bouba Diop has been saying were going places and stuff like this all season so maybe hes wanting a new contract so teams know that he wants to play for Fulham and not Everton or Barca.

14. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I think Green should get a chance at left back, but I also think that is a position we need to address in the summer. Preferably an experienced veteran in that position. Green could be the man, but we need to have more depth in the defense and at least two options at left back and other postions within the club.

15. martin

martin New Member

I like Onyewu too, but I think it might be a bit early to throw him into the Premiership. He definitely has the potential. I was at the USA-Guatemala match a few weeks back and he was awesome. He was a major force and won pretty much everything in the air. I was thinking he would make an excellent free safety in the NFL.

16. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Plus... he doesnt have enough caps to easily clear the FA reqs, right?

17. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Good point Petty! I do not think he qualifies for an English Work Permit.

18. pettyfog

well... thats what I was thinking, it'll take him a few years to get over that hump.
    - -- - - - - -- - - - - - - -
    As to the McBride retiring rumors:

I was describing the McBride situation to my son and it occurred to me that I was wrong all the way around on my earlier predictions.

CC has shown he'd rather win than be 'right' in his stubborness, thus Brian will stay at Fulham through next season as long as he figures in the plans for the team.

McBride will indeed leave Fulham to go back to Chicago after the WCF.

When he leaves the playing field he will truly leave it, he is not manager material from what I've seen, thus he will LIKELY go into business.

And he will live in the Chicago areaso that he and his not just pretty but smart wife can organize his NEXT career.

While doing that, I see him playing one or two seasons for the Fire.... the pay is too good to pass up, IMO.. and it will be good for establishing more contacts in the Biz world.

Just my opinion of course, but that's what I would advise him... though I certainly suck at advising my own self.

19. pettyfog

Back to Fulham rumors:

Some see the Steed quotes in the lastest Offish site news item on him as a sign he wants to stay:
    Hmm... sounds to me like an explanation for why another club should shell out for him despite the up and downs of his season.

If you dont think so, imagine a press release put out by his agent.. can you see the same phrasing being used? And would you think it meant he wanted to stay here?

20. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Lee Clark has officially been released. Here is a complete list if the Fulham players released by the club today:

Lee Clark
    Jerome Bonnissel
    Malik Buari
    Sean Doherty
    Ross Flitney
    Alex Lawless
    Stuart Noble

I would have to think Clarkie was asking for a lot in terms of weekly wages and Cookie said no and thought he was not worth it. Perhaps something different will come out in the press, but that is my two cents.