Fulham @ Tottenham

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by americanmike, Dec 24, 2007.

1. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I think we are gonna agree to disagree on Bouazza.

We sold Diop because some fans did not like him and thought he went downhill since his injuries. That is in the past though. I could really care less about him now.

Makoun is exactly the type of player we need. Would probably cost too much though so screw it. Speaking of pricey players why not take a chance at Senderos? He is not playing at Arsenal and I do not think he is injured.

2. Lyle

Lyle New Member

You are completely wrong about everything. In a 4-4-2 the outside midfielders are not suppose to score they're supposed to assist. Bouazza does his job just fine and is much more than a "decent" crosser.

Secondly, Lee Cook isn't a goal scorer; he'a a classic left-sided midfielder who simply crosses the ball inside. He had a whole bunch of assists at QPR, but very few goals. He's actually less of a threat to score goals than Bouazza. So you won't be seeing much goal scoring from Mr. Cook who was probably the worst of Lawrie's signings because he didn't contribute once while Lawrie was in charge.

3. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

He is only a decent crosser. Seriously he is not that good. Anyway I expect any outside midfielder to score goals. There are plenty of teams who play 4-4-2 and have players who score from the wing position. Crossing is also a major responsibility, but so is contributing with goals.

I think Cook is gonna be the better player. He is a better crosser and can beat his defender with skill. You are right about goals, but his shots do not look like he is trying out for the Oakland Raiders.

4. jmh

jmh New Member

The problem with Makoun seems to be that Lille wants a big pile of money for him, and if their demands scared off ManU then I don't see us meeting their price. Maybe Heerenveen will sell Michael Bradley?

I'd be stunned if Arsenal let Senderos go.

5. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

The Manure thing was awhile ago. I would think they have dropped their price. If he goes for 6M that is a bargain and a chance worth taking. If we can spend 6M on Kamara then a player like Makoun should be signed.

Senderos has not gotten many chances and really I do not think he will play much. I think we could sign him if we were willing to splash some cash. People thought that they would not let Djourou go and they did.

6. jmh

jmh New Member

Something FFC24 should keep in mind about Lee Cook: He's three years older than Bouazza, which means he's less likely to continue to develop.

Something Lyle should keep in mind about Hameur Bouazza: While his strike rate is better than Cook's, some of that has to be due to the fact that Watford sometimes played him as a striker rather than as a midfielder.

7. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I think Sanchez inquired about Senderos. Obviously nothing came of it.

8. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I mentioned earlier that he scored most of his goals at Watford at a more forward position. So I'm aware. Sanchez's initial plan may have been to play Bouazza up front and put Cook at LM. Bouazza, like Dempsey doesn't fit a defined position in a 4-4-2 system perfectly... but you can't keep their talent on the bench.

Cook is probably comparable to Simon Davies actually.

9. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

what about matthew taylor from pompey? he hasnt figured regularly in that side.

i know he's been discussed here, but he might be a good duo with bouazza.

10. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Ok - so what do they keep saying? 20 million in new players? For that you got who? I guess I dont know who exactly is figured into that amount, but there have been a lot of new faces and it has not worked out.

Baird (Crap)
    Hughes - end of 2007 (Not Great)
    Konchesky - July 2007 (Not Great)
    Davies - Jan 07 (Good)
    Demps - Jan 07 (Good)
    Seol (Crap)
    Murphy (Not Great)
    Smertin (Not Great)
    Kamara (Crap)

Then Healy (Crap) subbed on, Volz (Should be better), Bouazza (Not Great).

My point is - The best you got is a few "Goods" and a couple "Not Greats" on the field, I am tired of hearing that they are too good to go down. As of right now - the team you are putting out there is not good enough and the acquisitions over the last year have - for the most part - been a total bust. So now you have players you paid too much for that are under-performing so you are looking at a loss on your investment...

Its a sad state of affairs and they are going to have to do something drastic in January.

A total dismantling from the Spurs in this match. Being a Spurs fan I was really happy with the return of King and the overall form of the boys in White, but as a Fulham supporter I was sick to my stomach with how bad the guys looked today. That team cant beat anyone.

11. jmh

jmh New Member

Should be pointed out:

Konchesky has been worlds better than Franck Queudrue and Niclas Jensen and he's one Sanchez purchase that I don't think anyone should be complaining about.

Volz has been with Fulham since 2003 if you count the time he was loaned out so I don't think he belongs on what appears to be a list of players acquired over the last year.

Generally speaking, I think some people are unrealistic about the situation we're talking about. Not everyone has 15 million pounds or however much Spurs paid for Darren Bent to be their fourth world-class forward. Earlier today on another board I post on, a Liverpool fan was complaining that Rafa Benitez doesn't have enough money to work with and should've spent more on defenders! Liverpool who have given up the second fewest goals in the EPL so far this year! And the guy was panicking because they conceded a goal in a 2-1 road win.

Yes, that 20 million pounds bought a few decent players and a few bad ones. But that's the risk you take when your 20 million pounds is buying 10 or 12 players, rather than 2 or 3. Sometimes you get a bargain (Dempsey for 2 million pounds, Luis Boa Morte and Louis Saha for about the same though 2 million was a bit more when they were signed, McBride for 750 thousand) and sometimes you get a clunker.

Sorry if I ranted there. :oops:

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

You also made a lot of sense. I think it's stupid to (a) give up on a guys who's played half a year for you while (b) believing you'll get anything from him in the market. If he's not good enough for a club falling like a 6-ton stone, who's going to be stupid enough to buy him?

So, here's a more serious list.
    Baird -- never going to make a first-choice RB, but he's not the crap everyone says he is. He has CB experience. I'd like to see him suit up there in the FA Cup round 3 and see what he's got. Keep him.
    Kamara -- has all the tools and hasn't executed. Sort of like McBride in the 2nd half of last season. He is a proven goal scorer; and there's others on the team suckier.
    Bouazza -- you can't teach pace and tenacity. He'll be one of the better ones. Keep him.
    Hughes -- a solid player. Partners well with Boca. Keep him.
    Steve Davis -- playing out of position, but although everyone notices his poor patches, nobody notices that he can produce 20-minute stretches of pure brilliance on the pitch. Keep him; put him on the sub's bench.
    Murphy -- he's so slow he has to beat the same player 3 times. Get's pissed when people haven't moved into the slot he wants them to be and his passes go awry. Good dead ball player. Liability on defense. Don't extend the loan.
    Seol -- all that skill and drive we all saw last fall with Reading has gone. We gave up a solid RB for him. Sanchez's stupidest signing. Let him go.
    Kuqi -- if we get a target player in January [Zamora etc.] or if Macca makes it back in January, send him back to Palace.
    Healy -- will definitely go into a hot spell before this season is over. I want him to do it with us. Keep him.
    Smertin -- should be starting, but if we sign a good holding midfielder, put him on the bench as well.
    PK -- a little consistency would be nice, but he's a good man marker and can scare people on the attack.

Biggest January needs: 1. central holding midfielder 2. Striker 3. Young, experienced goalkeeper NOT named Warner.

YES, we don't need another RB or CB. Our defense's problem is that our midfield and our strike force aren't taking any pressure off them. Continuing to trash the back four is like taking Oakland's defense to task because their QB keeps going 3 and out.

Hmmmm; maybe this is in the wrong thread.

13. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I would disagree with people who say Healy is crap. He holds the ball well and he has chipped in with 3 premier league goals and it should have been 4 goals. He is a good player. If we stay up this season and he gets his chance next season he will be better as he would of had a season in this league. Surely a player who is one of the best forwards in the world for his country can score goals in the EPL.

14. jmh

jmh New Member

There's another one now. :D