Fulham @ Tottenham

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by americanmike, Dec 24, 2007.

1. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

woohoo back in the relegation zone and two points off the pace!

2. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

What a depressing month this has been for Fulham fans.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and November wasn't much better. The sound you hear is circling the drain.

Have to argue with my man Timmyg. Perhaps because I've been doing this for so long. When your team looks its crappiest, that's when you need to be a supporter. FTID, y'all

4. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

I agree with you Don, but it was more of a rhetorical statement. I wont be ditching Fulham anytime soon, but its just so continually frustrating. Every match day contains the same routine and the same subsequent emotions.

I feel like a drug addict who's just sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. But I cant kick the habit.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Two things killed us today, and it just keeps happening.

1. Huddlestone's first goal was IN THE LAST SECOND on 1st half injury time.
    2. After we cut the lead in half, WE LOST IT AGAIN IN 24 SECONDS.

These two events killed us dead. We can't do that any more. From the moment I came onto this site, ChicagoTom has been the doomsayer and I've been the positive one. Well, I'm HOPING that we're still in a relegation struggle coming into the last two weeks. Because the alternative is that we'll already be toast.

It's been a very ugly 2.5 months. Come back Jimmy; come back Brian. Mo! [not you, clevelandmo; the fat one in London] Get us a gaffer!

6. jmh

jmh New Member

For what it's worth, Sky rated Dempsey an 8. At least SOMEONE is in decent form.

Volzy rated a 3 and Baird a 4, both were tortured by Steed (9). As was mentioned in the match chat, it looks like it'll be open auditions for a right back come January. I hope Volz was just not healthy, because I was hoping he'd be able to reclaim a spot in the lineup once he is.

7. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Anybody else miss Rosenior? That move to get Seol is not looking to good right now is it? I knew it was a mistake to let him go and get an absolute crap player in Seol. Hate to say I told you so, but I TOLD YOU SO.

How about that brilliant player Bouazza? He is absolute quality. NOT! He sucks almost as much as Seol.

Now to something I was wrong about in the last transfer window. Kamara is crap. End of. Get rid of him while we can still make 2-3M.

This teams confidence is horrible right now and guess what? It will not get any better after we lose the next 2 games. Relegation is a certain.

8. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

it definitely is looking bleak. we need some sort of spark. whether that be the return of Jimmy and Mac, or some great signing in the January window, or a hell of a manager that can get us out of this @#%@ hole, we need something positive to bouy our spirits.

9. Fern72

Fern72 Member

Why does our D stink so bad? Hughes looks lost at all times, and on the set pieces the only one who can cover is Boca. I know we are not that bad to lose 4-1.

10. jmh

jmh New Member

To lose how many-1? :oops:

11. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

4=5 to Fernando. doesn't it Fer?

12. Lyle

Lyle New Member

What are you talking about? Bouazza was pretty good today. Skill wise Fulham doesn't have much better. Best crosser on the team, I think. The Setanta announcers kept encouraging Fulham to attack through Bouazza.

Also, if Rosenior was still in the team Omozusi might not have gotten a chance to start. Rosenior also has yet to contribute for Reading this year. Graeme Murty starts ahead of him and Stephen Hunt starts at RM.

13. jmh

jmh New Member

Agreed; Bouazza also looked dangerous against Wigan until he wore down in the second half. He's also only 22, so presumably he's still developing as a player. At this point I think he has to be considered one of the better signings Sanchez made.

14. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Bouazza cannot shoot at all. He is lucky to score 3 goals a season. Seriously for an attacking winger that is crap. He looks so good out there because the rest of the midfield is absolute crap except for Dempsey.

Rosenior has not gotten a chance, but he was on his way to being a top class RB at this club. His attacking play needed some tweaking, but defensively he was by far the best fullback at the club. There is no way Steed runs wild like he did today. Volz is crap and Omozusi would of still gotten chances in the league cup. Murty is not that bad either.

15. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Bouazza CAN shoot. He was Watford's leading scorer last year I think. He didn't play on the left at Watford all the time though. I think he played up front and as an attacking central midfielder a good part of the time. So he's still learning to play as a LM.

... and as a left-mid his job isn't to score but to cross the ball in so other people have a chance to score. He does this pretty well I think.

16. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

If you are an attacking winger your job is too not only cross the ball well, but also score goals. Notice how the best wingers in the world do both of these things. He played on the left side for Watford and his shooting ability is crap. His shots usually look like he is trying to kick a field goal. His crossing ability is only decent and he can only run in straight lines. Show me a clip of him making his defender look like an idiot. You cannot. I always thought he was crap and will continue to think so until he proves otherwise.

17. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

bouazza should be a late minute sub so to best harness his speed.

but unfortunately the other options at LM are Hyeon (who should be outright released and banned from anything fulham related, effective immediately) and Cook (who IS STILL INJURED).

18. jmh

jmh New Member

Well, sure, we'll just go out and get Lionel Messi then. Yeah, the best wingers in the world can score goals, but let's be realistic about what we have to work with here. Boa Morte only has one goal in 24 games since we sold him to West Ham. Steed has 4 for Spurs in 41 games, Bouazza's strike rate for us projects to about 3 over that many. Meanwhile, look at the havoc he (Steed) caused today without scoring goals. It'd be great if we had two attacking wingers who both chipped in 8 or goals per year, but be realistic. If Bouazza can get in some crosses and run at defenders to get in dangerous positions and draw some fouls, we should be happy. And there were definitely some games where he's made his defender look slow.

19. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

When Boa played for us he got at least 6-8 goals a year. Steed did the same. Dempsey is doing the same. I expect 5+ goals a season from an attacking winger. I do not like the way he plays. He is pacy and is a decent crosser, but other than that not much. I want to see what Lee Cook can do.

Speaking of attacking play. It seems to me that we need much more flair in attack. Like maybe another winger and a forward that can finish. Somebody like Luke Moore would do along with maybe picking up a winger or creative midfielder from a place like Holland or France. Makoun has always been class, but would the price be right. He would be that Defensive midfielder that can come in and spray passes around the park.

20. jmh

jmh New Member

Per Wikipedia, Boa scored 26 league goals in six seasons - slightly over 4 per. Not to mention, if I'm not mistaken he spent some of that time playing as a striker rather than an attacking wing. Dempsey has 6 so far this season but he's playing as a striker too, not as a wing. Which isn't to say that I don't want to see what Cook can do once he's healthy, because I do, but if our strikers are more effective (3 league goals for Healy and 2 for Kamara bother me much more), and if McBride isn't injured, I think you'd feel better about what Bouazza is accomplishing.

Generally though, I agree that more flair in attack is needed. Luke Moore would be a great pickup, he's still only 21, though I think Villa would be making a mistake if they let him go. Hey, maybe we can send them Kamara and Baird and we can get Bouma from them and we can continue the process of completely exchanging our squads that began with Davis and Hughes and Knight. :lol:

A real ball-winner in midfield would be nice - somebody remind me why we sold Diop?