Fulham to play MLS All-Stars at Crew Stadium

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by pettyfog, Mar 8, 2005.

1. nowayjeff

nowayjeff New Member

I think we should be fine, thank you for offering. We look forward to meeting you at the tailgate, game or aftergame pub party.

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

FulhamUSA ended up selling 80 tickets for the match on July 30th. That is not bad.

3. Jux

Jux New Member

We will have enough members there to make our presence known!

4. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

Hell Yeah!

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Wonder how many the 'Mother Ship" sold...

6. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am guessing not very many. I have received some emails from people who originally were planning on coming, but with the flights so expensive ($1200 round trip) they decided against it. I am sure there will be some, but not as many as originally thought.

The players' families will all be there I am sure as it is a good vacation for them to come to the States.

7. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

What would everybody like to do on Friday night in Columbus? Nothing has been planned out. Does everyone want to meet at a pub near the hotel or what? Any ideas? I think it might be a good idea to have something in mind before we all get to Columbus and we roam around like cows in a town we know nothing about. Ideas are wanted!!!

8. pettyfog

factoid:
    Despite popular perception, Columbus never was a major Livestock center.. despite the very large state fair which brings a lot of best of breed into environs for a scant few weeks.. but THEY have generally left town still breathing and on the hoof.

OTOH, such was -AND IS- not the case in Chi-town, whose fans, ironically popularized the name Cow-Lumbus. Livestock find that a trip to Chi-town is very much like the refrain of an eagles song... you might say Chicago is the bovine "Hotel Cow-lifornia!"

Just a little background... ;)

9. Jux

Jux New Member

Just wanted to re-post this part of an earlier post for reference. If you all want to stay within walking distance of the hotel, I would recommend limiting your plans to the Arena District and the Convention Center/North Market area. There are enough restaurants/pubs in that area to suit most tastes. The Brewery District is also really cool (and will have a lot of things going on), but will require cabs or a much farther walk. I can shuttle some people, but MrsJux and I might be crashing downtown that night too so we don't have to drive.

10. pettyfog

I missed that part, on the other hand, cabbies in Columbus.. even Somalis.. Know how to get where you want to go without detouring -or attempting to-, through Cleveland.

11. mrsjux

mrsjux New Member

The one thing that is lacking in the Arena District/Short North area is a good, hearty-feeling pub, if that makes sense. It's microbrews and martini bars, that sort of thing. Good times to be had, but as Jux said, sort of tragically hip. There is O'Shaughnessy's, which is a pub-esque, and not far from the hotel at all--probably about a 5-6 block walk. Another great place, with good eats as well as house beers, is The Elevator. I can't remember the name of the signature dish, but essentially, you cook your own meat on a really hot rock. Jux, being more of a carnivore than myself, can expound on that a little more.

I realize, of course, none of these are actual decisions as to a plan. I live here, so I can hit any of these at any time. If anyone has a specific idea, but not sure how to implement, toss it out there, and we the host city folk will see what we can put together with it.

12. ClevelandSimon

ClevelandSimon Member

For game day, what time are people going to start tailgating? Is there a specific parking lot we should aim for. I am planning on bringing a pathetically small coal bbq for some burgers or something, and a cooler full of cold-ones.

13. Jux

Jux New Member

I think those that arrive early for the Wednesday game can be part of the test market. I will personally conduct the tours and beverage sampling!

As for the Taxi comment, I meant that they weren't as plentiful, so you can't necessarily count on them being there all hours of the night, like some of the larger cities:) I had good luck with taxi's the last time I was in Chicago. However, I did tell them the intersection I wanted so they didn't treat me like a total tourist. Besides, it can be fun recreating the chase scenes from the Blues Brothers!

14. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

I've got one extra ticket. If someone had someone else who wanted to sit in the Fulham section or needed one, just PM me and let me know.

Otherwise i'm bringing a girl who hates soccer and will complain the entire game

15. mrsjux

mrsjux New Member

I believe the tailgating is starting at noonish, in the west (?) VIP lot. I'm not sure if we'll all be able to park there, but there's plenty of other parking that's not VIP, and I'm sure we'll be easy to find. We haven't hammered out the food and drink details, but I'm sure the BBQ and cold ones will be very much appreciated.

As far as the extra ticket goes, I may have a taker--a girl who does not hate soccer and loves to come to the games-especially when there's a tailgate. What's the cost again? I don't have my ticket with me to check.

16. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I think we are aiming for around noon. I think we will have grills and such already there, but Pettyfog, Jux and Mrs Jux will be able to tell you more about this.

17. Jux

Jux New Member

Noon sounds good to me. I think that's what we decided on. Pettyfog probably remembers. Speaking for myself, I wouldn't discourage any extra grills if they have been offered. With at least 80 people coming, it will help us get the food out quicker. I think we have a few spots in the West VIP. I plan on parking in the south "lot" off of 17th avenue and hauling my gear to the VIP spots. Again, that's just a rough idea until we can talk at the Wednesday night scrimmage.

18. nowayjeff

nowayjeff New Member

It just occured to me. That we are staying at a different Courtyard Marriot than everyone else. I was under the impression that the Courtyard by the airport was closer to the stadium than the one downtown. Don't worry we can get wherever we need to be.

19. chengb02

chengb02 New Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Fulham to play MLS All-Stars at Crew Sta

Okay...I have so far been anonymous, but have purchased my tix for the Fulham USA end and can't wait. My girlfriend and I will probably be coming into Columbus on the 29th from Chicago (if anyone wants my tix to the match on the 27th, they're yours)...We haven't booked a hotel yet, is it too late to get into the Courtyard? If so, I think I'm just going to try priceline...I haven't been up on most of the posts as I've been preparing for the bar exam (which I take on the 27th), but I can't wait to meet all you! I hope I can just stay up to date through the emails and stuff, see you all in Columbus!

20. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Fulham to play MLS All-Stars at Crew

Hey Cheng, I think there are still rooms available at the Marriot Courtyard Downtown Columbus, just go through Expedia or Priceline and see what you come up with. If not, I think further up in the thread the Super Moderator Mr. Pettyfog made some suggestions...