Fulham to play MLS All-Stars at Crew Stadium

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by pettyfog, Mar 8, 2005.

1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: RE: Columbus game

There is going to be a FulhamUSA tailgate in the parking lot of Crew Stadium put on by a few members who live in Columbus.

Following the match, we are having a party at Frog Bear Bar in downtown Columbus. Should be a good time.

2. mrsjux

mrsjux New Member

Columbus Hospitality

Hi, all--

Sorry I've been absent lately. Busy times at the job. This will probably be a little bit wordy, to catch up.
    I know pettyfog has been fielding a lot of questions about Columbus hotels and the like--I thought I'd take the heat off him for a little while. A good site to look up hotels is www.experiencecolumbus.com. In fact, that's just a good site overall for Columbus information. If you're not staying with the rest of the Fulham gang at the hotel, it would be just as close (or far, depending on perspective) to the stadium to stay out near the airport, I'd say. If you have questions about a specific hotel, feel free to contact me and I'll do some legwork on it.

For transportation, I'm currently kicking around taking Thursday and Friday off, since so many of you will be in town/arriving. And, we, the Jux duo, live about 5 minutes from the airport. If you'd like, we can probably shuttle some incoming folks from the airport to the hotel--ideally, if there are flights coming in around the same time, I'd like to go by carloads, so it's not a crazy number of trips, but please, let me know if you'd be interested, and I'll check our schedule, etc.

As far as things to do inbetween the scrimmage on Wednesday, and the Main Event on Saturday, I can probably come up with a few ideas, either for the fans or for spouses--I believe one post was asking about alternative activities during the game. I work in PR at the downtown theatre, so I'm a veritable tour book. And if I don't know a specific answer, I could most likely find out pretty quickly. Heck, I could even show you around the theatres if you like. All historical and pretty, they are.

In short, I offer my services as Julie Cruise Director. Take me up on any or all of the above. I love to be helpful when I can.

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: Columbus Hospitality

My brother and I will be in town from Wednesday afternoon til Sunday! We will definitely be looking for some things to do. Thanks for the info MrsJux! It is nice to know that between yourself, your husband, Pettyfog and azartman we will be in good hands while in Columbus.

4. Bee

Bee New Member

Been a long time since I posted, I know...

My wife and I will be in CMH on Friday afternoon... we saw that some rooms were booked downtown for Fulham supporters...

Just a quick question - how much were the rooms set aside for and are there any left? We'd love to be at a place with lots of supporters.

Cheers

5. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Just got my tickets in. Is anything going on Friday night? I'm going to get into town around dinner time Friday. Do we know how many tickets were sold for the FulhamUSA section?

6. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Nothing specific is planned for Friday night. I was thinking we could all get together at a pub and have some drinks and relax. I will be in town from Wednesday on so I am sure I will have a good lay of the land.

As for the number of tickets, I think we ended up selling around 100 or so. That is a guesstimate from the last time I talked with Carrie Rundio a few weeks back. I will try to find this info out.

Does anyone have a better idea for Friday night?

7. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Not to sound like a stalker or anything...but is there a chance we can do a meet and greet with players or anything like that?

8. Jux

Jux New Member

If you want to stay in the same area as Frog Bear & Wild Boar, there are several pubs and restaurants in that same block of the Arena District (http://www.arena-district.com/find-us/district.php)

Some of these bars are a little ?Tragically Hip,? so it will come down to individual tastes. There are a few pubs closer to the Convention Center/North Market (High St.) on the map that aren?t listed. The Ohio State Campus is further north on High and the Brewery District (http://www.brewerydistrict.org/dev/home_flash.asp) is just south of Downtown on High Street. For people staying downtown, High Street is probably the best reference point for pubs and restaurants if you don?t want to drive everywhere. As Pettyfog mentioned previously, public transportation is a little frustrating in Columbus. It can sometimes be difficult to catch a taxi without phoning them first. Definitely nothing like Chicago.

My personal favorite pub, Byrnes? Irish Pub is about a 10 ? 20 minute drive from downtown. It has more of a neighborhood-type bar feel, but will be packed on Friday.

I have a few other suggestions, but I tried to limit the focus so that everyone doesn?t have to travel too far from their hotels. If you end up lodging in another part of the city, PM me and I can try and come up with something else.

9. Bee

Bee New Member

Okay reserved my room at the Courtyard by Marriott

My wife and I will be in town around 8-9pm on Friday...

I've been seeing all the ideas thrown around about what's to be done while in Columbus... was just wondering if there was any kind of formalized itinerary, as my wife is rather pregnant and I'm sure we can't go galavanting around to any and everything.

Still would like to have a couple dozen pints with some Fulham supporters though.

10. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am not sure about a meet and greet with the players. We will see what we can come up with in that department. No guarantees though as ultimately this decision will be made by the club.

As for itinerary, there is nothing set except for Saturday. On Saturday at around noon we will meet in the parking lot and tailgate. Then we will watch the match and after that over to the Frog Bear Bar for the post-match party. I hope this helps some.

We will come up with something for Friday night. I would prefer to stay close to the Brewery District downtown near the hotel to be able to walk to and from there.

11. Bee

Bee New Member

Okay, we'll be doing the Saturday thing. Friday night we wont be there until somewhat late but will certainly want to try and meet up with some people... if we just know where to look :D

12. Bee

Bee New Member

Okay, we'll be doing the Saturday thing. Friday night we wont be there until somewhat late but will certainly want to try and meet up with some people... if we just know where to look :D

13. Bee

Bee New Member

14. Jux

Jux New Member

Look for the loud guy wearing the Fulham Kit...that will be me:) I'm sure you'll have no problem finding me!

But seriously, I imagine that we'll have a better idea after the Wednesday scrimmage/practice with the Crew. We can definitely work something out.

15. Bee

Bee New Member

I have all of two Fulham kits and between my wife and I they'll get way too much wear this weekend (hopefully they'll have SOME Fulham stuff to buy at the stadium!)

I may be the drunk, loud guy in the <gasp> Leeds kit on Friday... or maybe I'll just wear my McBride USMNT kit... a little more appropriate.

16. nowayjeff

nowayjeff New Member

So it is nice to see that me and my girlfriend won't be the only two staying at the Courtyard. As we are flying in and will try not to rent a car if we don't have to. Maybe the hotel won't mind sending us in a shuttle to the match. We will be arriving on Thursday evening so we will probably spend the first evening in the hotel bar if they have one.

17. Bee

Bee New Member

You are much more than welcome to ride with my wife and I to the match from the Courtyard. My wife is the ultimate in designated driver being 6 months pregnant with the newest member of the "Blahwarmy" :)

18. nowayjeff

nowayjeff New Member

Thanks Bee, Sounds good.

19. mrsjux

mrsjux New Member

Bee and NowayJeff, are you both at the airport Courtyard? There's a couple of them in town.
    If you are, we'll (Jux and I) be driving pretty much right by the airport en route to the stadium on Saturday, if you'd like to follow us. The stadium isn't hard to find, by any means, but driving in a new town can suck.

20. Bee

Bee New Member

I'm staying downtown at the one where the rooms were reserved for FulhamUSA...

I'm not worried about finding our way to the stadium, I'm sure it will probably be self explanatory, but thanks :)