Fulham Summer '06 Transfers

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by DCDave, Feb 16, 2006.

1. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I will agree with those 3 candidates, since I hear Chimbonda is most likely out of our reach and a bit of a character issue, with Edwards and Mensah tied for 2nd.

If only Mo and Cookie would ask our opinion.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The fools! They never consult us! :D

3. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

right on. I look forward to hearing from Petty...i want to see everyone's opinion. at the same time, i never said to get him, just asked what everyone thought.

4. DCDave

DCDave Member

There seems to be some question as to whether or not Gooch is ready to step in right now into the regular lineup (see DCH's post of a couple of days ago). If that's the case, we must pass on him. We need a starter now. I'd probably go for a midfielder on the right side, so I'd go Edwards, Mensah, and Gooch.

5. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Any idea how much Edwards would cost?

6. BC

BC New Member

I'm certain Gooch could start for us now. As bad as our defence can be, I don't think we could go wrong starting Gooch the minute we sign him.

I'm not familiar enough with the other players mentioned above but I agree we need at least one more good signing before the transfer window closes.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I know that his price went up during the WC, but I think he's in our price range. If he were megabucks, the Hatters would have shopped him by now.

8. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

What about players on loan? I'm not really a fan of this idea for a couple of reasons:

1) If the guy plays well, the loaner team won't sell usually;

2) If the guy plays like crap, in some cases, it may be because he could give two nickels about your team; and

3) You are seriously messing with team chemistry either way.

Someone somewhere mentioned Rossi, who by all accounts is a star in the making. But even so, do you dare take him on a loan?

More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giuseppe_Rossi

9. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I have heard that a number of teams have enquired to Manchester United about Rossi, but from I have heard Sir Alex Ferguson does not want to send him out on loan. He wants to assess his strike force the first half of the season and see how things pan out.

Perhaps he could be loaned out in January if things are going well for Manchester United, but that remains to be seen.

As for taking players on loan, I am not the biggest fan of it. In essence, I do not like developing and playing a player that is on the books for another team. If there is a chance a player will make the permanent move, it is something you have to consider, but more times than not, a loaner is simply trying to make a name for himself and as FFCinPCB mentioned, the player rarely gives a toss about the club he is on loan at.

I am not opposed to getting some players on loan, but it has to be a good situation for things to work out for both parties involved.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Conversely, the benefit of taking a guy on loan is that he has something to prove by playing every week. Jonathan Spector is an example. He had his deficiencies [sp?] last year with Charlton, but he played his butt off -- twice against us.

As for Rossi, he's got serious game; I just don't like him because he's from NJ and doesn't want to play for the MNT. He's hoping to play for Italy. Guess he didn't notice that everybody on the Italian WC squad played in Serie a.

11. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I don't mind bringing any players in on loan at all. Its essentially like signing a player to a one year contract. I guess there’s the argument of why should we devolpe their players, well if he can give you 10 to 15 goals that’s why. I certainly think Rossi could do that. Good trade off if you ask me. I don't see how it negatively impacts chemistry either, its like any player on a one year contract. Best case scenario McBride would convince him to play for the right national team 8)

I guess it depends on the players character as to if he gives two cents about your club. I think most of the time they do. Just like any other player they will develop relationships at the club and grow an affection for it and regardless ANY athlete wants to win where ever they are. In Rossi's case the player has stated he would like to go out on loan as he sees it as his best opportunity to prove himself. I'm sure if he were at Fulham he would do every thing in his power to perform well and help the club win because like anyone in his position he is egger to get his career up and running. Its a shame Fergie won't let him go as he's a real talent and won't see much playing time this year. If at Arsenal he would be given a real opportunity to break into the first eleven but I don’t see ManU giving him that chance yet.

12. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Appearently Woodgate is travelling to England to talk to teams about a possible Loan deal. Any chance one of the teams could be us? I reckon we could do a Loan with a possible permanent move, but of course we would have to fork over the cash which really shouldn't be anywhere near the price Real bought him for. If he could stay healthy for even 20+ games that would be great as he is absolute class when is does get the chance to play.

As for the right mid spot I like Kalou on loan or Routledge on loan with a possible move at the end of the deal. Really though i'm more concerned about our strikeforce not putting away chances. I actually would'nt mind Kluivert coming here. At least we would have a proven option on the bench if we need a goal.

13. BC

BC New Member

I saw that bit on Woodgate but the teams listed in the article didn't include Fulham. That may not mean anything though.

14. rumstove

rumstove New Member

The BBC article mentioned Boro, Liverpool, and Newcastle as options...but there could be other teams as well.

Even if he were to come as a loan it would never be a permanent move as his price is too high, along with his current wages which are quite high. If he could stay healthy is another big question as he's been going through injury after injury since his move to Real Madrid....hell, he had a thigh injury when Real signed him. I highly doubt Woodgate would come to Fulham, but then again who knows...

15. AGreen16

AGreen16 Member

I agreen with the players that have already been mentioned but I also wouldn't be bad to look in to getting Clint Dempsey.

16. tibor

tibor New Member

Dempsey is still a developing player, but I like his upside. He's been dubbed "oh the guy that actually tried at the World Cup?" by friends of mine.

17. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

I think it would be hard to get Dempsey because MLS seems to only sell players if teams are willing to overpay.

18. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I support Dempsey in his life ambitions, and he is correct that no one should stop him from trying to achieve the best that he can in Europe. However, I don't want him at Fulham. Too many question marks about his attitude.

Whoever the next McBride is, with perhaps even more skill, let's get that guy.

19. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

especially for players not in international camps at the moment -- like Steed, and that guy in Belgium.