Fulham Summer '06 Transfers

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by DCDave, Feb 16, 2006.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

yer a hard lad, PCB! :3d laughing:

2. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

3. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

ahh great but it says this guys a midfielder not a center back :?

4. Zack

Zack New Member

Fulham are lining up a shock move for Dutch striker Patrick Kluivert. (The Sun)

hmmm.......

5. martin

martin New Member

That would be shocking, and not in a good way. Kluivert was a complete flop at Newcastle and hasn't done anything good in years. He's useless.

6. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

That is a perfect description of Kluivert.....useless. If Cookie thinks this guy is going to lead us in the right direction he has really lost the plot.

7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

If he can't be converted into a CB or RM, then, yes, he's completely useless.

Why another forward, we haven't even used all the ones we've signed so far?

8. DCDave

DCDave Member

We need scoring. Over the last couple of years (and this year too), we've set things up but we can't finish them. (Even with Bullard's nice job starting the set pieces, our guys could not put it in.) CJ seems to be our best at that (in my opinion), but he's too undependable.

Which hole(s) do we/can we fix?

9. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Unfortunately we need a lot of help in all areas. We could definitely use a center-half, a right winger and like Dave, I think we need a striker as well. There is no chance in hell of us getting all three let along maybe even one of these in the next six days.

I like McBride, Helguson and John, but I am not so sure they can cut it week in and week out. McBride is 33 or 34, Helguson is solid, but not great. John can't seem to get it going at all and there is no one else.

What absolutely makes my blood boil is that when January comes around and we are in a relegation battle, Al Fayed will give Coleman about 5 or 6 million to buy some players. If he has the money in January, why not now?

Regarding transfers and such this club is way too reactive rather than proctive. It bugs the crap out of me. Anyone with the right mind can see we are going to struggle this season. We are playing with fire with the team we have and it could end sadly this season if reinforcements are not brought in now.

10. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

Its called being a cheap bastard.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

In his preview of tomorrow's match, Yanks-Abroad's reporter speculates that Steed may well be history by kickoff time.

12. CStoneNo37

CStoneNo37 New Member

That would be great. Get this whole mess settled and behind us, and free up some cash for a possible last minute transfer (GOOCH!).

13. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Just playing the "who should we get, if we could get" game. Ideas on who we should consider as the transfer window creaks closed:

1) CB / Oguchi Onyewu - Big and fast U.S. defender who has managed to be named to Jupiler League Best XI twice as a consistent star for Standard Liege. At 24, old enough to not make the really stupid mistakes, but young enough to listen and learn. Names McBride as one of his inpirations in football. And most importantly, is looking to jump to the Premier League and anchor one lucky team's defense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oguchi_Onyewu

2) CB/RB / Pascal Chimbonda - Smaller and fast French defender who really proved himself last season. Has shown with his speed that he can stop any attacks and create ones also. Has made lots of noise about leaving Wigan, understandably. Would be great to pair up with Jimmy Bullard again, but the question is whether we could afford him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal_Chimbonda

3) RW / Ahmed Hasan - Steed-like Egyptian winger (tip o' the hat to the owner) who has experience at Besiktas and Anderlecht, the latter being last years Jupiler League champions and currently in Champions League competition. At 30, could bring additional maturity to leaders on the pitch in midfield. Also named Best Player of the African Cup of Nations 2006. Being in Champions League may prevent any immediate move.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmed_Hassan

Yes, I apparently like Wikipedia quite a bit.

Let's hear from others. What say you?

14. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

No chance in us getting Chimbonda. First of all, he is a right-back, which we have plenty of, and second of all, Wigan is asking at least 6-8 million pounds for him. Spurs may get him before Wednesday.

As for Gooch, I am all for it. He would be a great addition if you ask me. Unfortunately, I bet it does not happen and we will regret it down the road.

Don't know much about Hassan.

15. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

as far as Kluivert goes, why not take him if it's a loan deal...depending on how much of the wages we would have to pick up. I understand he's been a bum the past however many years, but what will it hurt to give him a shot at reviving his career if it doesn't cost anything to get him. If he doesn't pan out, no harm no foul. As far as everywhere else, I would feel better if there were a way for us to get Gooch, Mensah, or another young but highly touted central back. But we can all see that unless we sell someone, Mo isn't giving any money to cookie for transfers...hence the loan situation w/ Kluivert. what we need to hope for is a quick resolution of the Steed situation so that we can have some funds to make a move. One last thing...what about Jeff Cunningham? I'm from Salt Lake and watch Real Salt Lake all the time, and I understand the questions about his character, but the man can score goals. 14 on the season to lead MLS plus he has 9 assists on top of that. it's a longshot, but what are your thoughts?

16. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

17. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

duh...i forgot to mention a right winger. What about Carlos Edwards of Luton Town? He was terrific in the World Cup, and has tremendous pace. http://www.lutontown.premiumtv.co.uk/pa ... 14,00.html
    We should look at someone like him to replace Steed on the right...that will allow Jimmy to roam free and give someone to help Liam defend. What do you say?

18. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

19. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

that wikipedia site is cool...i just always forget how to spell it. hahaha

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Oms, expect a long rant from P-fog about Cunningham; he considers him a cancer on anybody's squad.

PCB: I've been pulling for Carlos Edwards to change strips but not colors since I saw him play in the WC. He's the best player LTFC has and one of the very best RM's not in the Prem. The Hatters won't be promoted this year; the best I'm hoping for is to be ahead of Crystal Palace by about 10 points by season's end. But talent like Edwards can keep us in the Prem.

My vote: 1. Gooch; 2. Edwards; 3. Mensah

Spend some money, durn it!