Fulham Summer '06 Transfers

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by DCDave, Feb 16, 2006.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Would cost a lot, but worth it.

Like 'chumming the water' regarding 'bigger clubs', though...

2. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Cherundolo would be a decent signing. We could move Rosenior over to LB and sell Volz.

I think we have 4 areas we need to fix before next season. Right wing,Forward,Center back, and Left Back.

At forward Peter Lovenkrands would be a great signing. He is one of the fastest players in the world and at the moment we really dont have a forward with great pace. Also isnt he out of contract as well?

At right wing Dario Srna would be a decent signing. I dont think money would be that much of a problem. He was linked with Liverpool last season though.

At left Back Arthur Boka from Strasbourg is class. They might be relegated as well which means he will most likely want to leave.

We also need 2 CB's. Huth from Chelsea might not cost much. While he makes mistakes he has shown in some games that he could become a world class player. Also Andy Webster from Hearts is class. He played well for Scotland when they just missed out on qualifying for the European playoffs for the World Cup. After we sign players for the first team we should really try and sign some players for the youth teams. All the big clubs do this. I mean United paid little money for Rossi and now he might become a future star.

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Dream line-ups anyone? Within reason of course.

I'm thinking obviously we will have McBride up front, but boy would it be nice to have some height like Crouch.

Midfield, how about Bouba, Steed, McFadden (dreaming), and perhaps Boateng? Sorry Boa.

And on defense.... Chimbonda plays very well, young cat name Richards from Man. City, I like Spector and Onyewu to round it out.

Finally, hard to argue that there is a keeper doing a much better job than Friedel. He is keeping Blackburn in the running.

Just out there in Fantatsy Land for a moment.....

O.K., now I'm back. Come On You Whites!!! Beat Charlton!

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am story on SkySports.com, Luis Boa Morte has come out and said he would not be against a move to another club. That does not mean he will not go, but he is open to a move if it is beneficial to himself and Fulham.

Boa has played well in the last month, but his performances the first seven and a half months of the season have been inconsistent and not up to par based on the high standards he set for himself over the years.

With that in mind, I would not be opposed to offloading him and seeing how much money we can get back for him. However, as I mentioned in my column on the main page, I do not trust Chris Coleman to spend the money to buy the necessary players to replace Boa Morte.

If a new manager comes in and has more experience in the transfer market and in training the youth ranks at Fulham, I would be open to Boa Morte moving on. I really think some big changes need to be made in the management of this team and then in turn, the personnel as well.

Here is a link to the story from Sky:

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?HLID ... Home&f=rss

5. Zack

Zack New Member

Well Tom, I know what you mean regarding Coleman...its a tough decision, but we all want whats best for the club...in a fulhamish scenario Coleman will go on and get on another prem team and lead them to a top 5 finish....in the same stance, this summer would probably see some quality players come in and contribute and "not bust"....would that be fulhamish or just as martha stewart says "A GOOD THING".....great result however this weekend....I say a 14 spot finish will happen, at least would be nice....and I think I found a Fulham Black top....cant wait to get my grubby little hands on it..gonna make sure i keep up the running to stay fitting in it!!! COYW and COYCSSM (Come on You Chairman Spend Some Money)

6. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Boa can leave. However, Coleman needs to bring in a Left sided player better than Arca. In a report Sky said we were gonna make a bid for Arca for like 1.5M. Hes not good enough and surely we could find someone better on the continent that wouldnt cost loads of money. Damarcus Beasley wouldnt cost much and hes even better than Boa and far more consistent and is one of the best defending wingers in the world. We cant sell one of our best players and bring in someone like Arca who really should be playing at LB rather than left wing.

7. DCDave

DCDave Member

From today's Sun--this rumor is back:

FULHAM will step up their bid to sign Stilian Petrov after the Celtic star handed in a transfer request last night.
    The SPL champs turned down a ?4m bid in January for the Bulgarian midfielder, who recently signed a long-term deal.
    Petrov said: ?I have told the club that I need to move on and I hope Celtic respect my wishes.?

8. pettyfog

I wouldnt want the SumBich after the blatant ploy in signing a contract, then turning around and wanting out.

It's clear to me he thinks he's top-club material and, on off-chance he WAS grabbed by Fulham, would immediately start making "Rescue Me" noises.

Not to mention Celtic saying he's 10M worth in fee... while he's more valuable than Marlet.. he aint worth THAT much to us.

9. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

10. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I just do not see it with this guy. If he was an average Joe without the name he has, I do not think people would make the fuss they do about him. I think he is living on his name alone and in his time at Fulham, he has not shown me all that much.

What makes him such a good player? In my opinion, he is slow, been out of place defensively a number of times and lacks the strength needed to be a the defender everyone has said he is. He does well going forward, but that is only half the battle. With our defensive problems, we need strong defenders, not Roberto Carlos type players who get forward but could care less about defending. We need full-backs who can help our center-halves, not leave them on their own.

If the price is right, I guess it would be a decent buy, but knowing Chelsea, they do not buy cheap and they do not sell cheap either. I just do not want to see the club blow their entire transfer budget on him.

I also think he could give two craps about Fulham Football Club. The only reason he is here right now is to get into the World Cup. In fact, I heard on TFI of rumours that he does not want to play the remaining three fixtures so he does not get hurt. That is complete rubbish if that is true.

All in all, I do not think Bridge is coming to Fulham on a full-time basis. We will see this summer, but I am going on record right now as saying he will go elsewhere.

11. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

I think its irresposible to label Bridge as average or even to say he hasnt shown much. CC is a enigma when it comes to lineups... everyone knows that. He manages to find a way to work in a weak link somewhere. Bridge hasnt had a consistent center half on that side all season. He also is the most solid player we've had there all season. Defense more than anything in soccer is a team scheme. If the mongoloid of the day is playing awful bridge has to wait longer in situations to make decisions. If you're not used the style of the player next to you one might try to compensate. Also remember who plays in front of him... all the yelling, arguing, falling, diving, whining, retaliating, and sometimes selfish play by Boa must kill a defender who constantly has 50 yards of space in front of him.

I have to say, if Jose and CC and half the other GMs in footbal think this guy is great, then he probably is. Not to mention hes 25 and has years to learn and grow. If there is a fire sale in Chelsea, take Bridge if you can get him.

Our priorities are our backs... most definately on the left side... if bridge is a fixture there it make the biggest priority center back... I like boca there... I like goma there, i like pearce even there... I'd sell knight and find more depth in the back.

I'm not against the Christianval experiment still... I like the guy.

AS I KEEP rambling... I wouldnt hate selling boa for an advantage as we have a huge pool of mid fielders... we should actually find a leader... I'd sell boa just to keep STEED and find some money for the youth squads as stated above.

I still am a CC out fan... the Prem seems to operate in a fashion similar to college basketball.... the big coachs get big players... not only that, but our road record alone is means enough to sack the guy. I like him... but hes not a complete coach and his strategy (save Chelsea win) is sketchy at best.

12. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Which leads us back to dream line-ups (within reason) for next year, if we could.

Niemi - Goal

Cherundolo, Knight, Onyewu, Volz - Defense

Steed, Diop, Boa, Reyna - Midfield

Helguson, McBride - Strikers

Heavy on the Yanks, I know, but it's my fantasy and I think Americans are proving to be very good defensive players these days, and Reyna's experience and composure would be an asset in the middle.

13. pettyfog

Wouldnt be that heavy on yanks... because, if they had Onyewu, they wouldnt need Bocanegra.
    And the LAST thing they need is the ACTUAL Reyna... look at his injury record.. unless they know he can COACH the Midfield into some kind of form. What they need is 'Reyna-Like".

You have Volz playing LB?!!!

14. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Reyna-like

You are correct, Reyna-like without the injury bug. Who fits that description???

Volz is young and has played fairly well, so I wanted him in the line-up. But I also wanted the Twin Towers in the middle. Boca hasn't shown much this season (though I wish he would get the chance to), so I brought Cherundolo in.

I think Yanks are a good value because they come fairly cheap, and the other upside is they work their asses off to prove themselves (at least until we start wiping the mat with other national teams).

The U.S. still could be a World Cup or two from seriously challenging for a Championship, but it will happen. A semi-final showing this go round is not out of the realm of possibilities.

Meanwhile, Fulham is showing at least commitment to a nucleus of a team. That is good. However, that also means any excuses by any coach will be out of the question. We are only a few players from a championship, any championship (FA or UEFA). COYW!!

COYRBOYW!!! (Come On You Rich Bastards and Open Your Wallets!!!)

15. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

RE: Reyna-like

Well yes I agree with Smokin when it comes to Bridge. How many LB's in the EPL are better than him? 0-2 is my guess. I certiantly could use a brush up on current EPL LB's but no one springs to my mind as being a better LB than Bridge. Richardson or Evra at Man U, Cahvalo at Chelski, Lee at T'ham? Bridge is better than all those. Cole is a RB right? Anyways others on here may know better but I definatly like Bridge.

I think the most important guys to keep based on what they bring to the team are:
    1)Boa
    2)Steed
    3)Bridge
    4)McBride
    5)Nemi

16. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: Reyna-like

My whole thing with Bridge is not based entirely on his skills. While I am in the minority in thinking he is not as good as some of the experts, the reason I do not think he is worth the summer investment is the cost. Chelsea bought him for 7.0 million pounds from Southampton in the summer of 2004. That being said, I would guess they will ask at least 4-5 million for him and with a rumoured transfer budget of 6 million this summer, we would be wasting all our cash on one guy almost. Is he worth that? I do not think so.

17. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Bullard to FFC

Great news this morning from the Fulham camp as the club is in talks with influential Wigan midfielder Jimmy Bullard. The 27-year-old Englishman has a get out clause in his contract and Fulham has been confirmed as a team in talks with Wigan. This would be a fantastic signing for Fulham. While relatively unknown coming into this season, Bullard has been one of the main reasons for Wigan's outstanding season in the league. Not sure what price we would get him for, but I have been a big admirer of Bullard's and he would add a lot to our team in the middle of the park.

18. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Bullard to Fulham - The Real Deal

After reading your post Tom, I thought this was just another rumour started by someone in jounalism who had a hang over and was scratching at anything to get a story.

But this is not the case, infact here is what I know:

• Both teams have a acknowledged that talks are 90% done.

A fee has been AGREED (around 2.5 Million pounds)

Bullard is having a Medical at Fulham and is not playing this weekend against Pompey.

Bullard has been wanting to come to London for a very long time.

19. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: Bullard to Fulham - The Real Deal

This is a great move!! I am happy with this signing. He adds some much needed creativity to the Fulham midfield and he has shown he can score goals in the Premiership.

20. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

RE: Bullard to Fulham - The Real Deal

This has made my Friday, no doubt. This guy was bar far, Wigans best player against us...do you think the Wigan fans are gutted??