Fulham Summer '06 Transfers

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by DCDave, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Jux

Jux New Member

RE: Re: Porto Defender

That just made my Monday!

Mike print the thread and run it to their offices! :D

2. BoasBoy

BoasBoy New Member

Wow, I've been away for a couple of weeks for som training and I come back to:

Signing two quality youngsters
    FINALLY signing a GREAT left back
    Drawing to Real Madrid in preseason and also winning a couple of other preseason matches

Great stuff...COYW'S

3. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

The Guardian with their opinion of Gooch going to Fulham.

Quote:
    Elsewhere, Fulham have been working to undo their good work so far this summer by bidding for American centre-back Oguchi Onyewu, while Bryan Robson will keep Curtis Davies's suitors away by giving him the captain's armband. And Tottenham will offer Danny Murphy and Andy Reid as part-exchanges in their never-ending bid to sign Wigan's wantaway full-back Pascal Chimbonda.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, at last, a Monday morning to make the old boy smile ["for Donny Boy" indeed, Michael]. This is a trend I like. Roll on you Whites!

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

As expected, some on the offal meet the prospect with derision.

We all recognize something special and dont hesitate... but we are 'only Yanks' and one comes up with the view that Onyewu stunk up the WC. Never mind that Ghana wasnt the same game as the Czech Rep.

Reminded that he aint gonna come in and start and offered the view that Gooch seems to learn remarkably well from his mistakes, we are met with
    'Well I been a Fulham Fan for n years and I played semi-pro ball!'

Certainly familiar to NFL fans... 'I played/coached and you havent, shut up!'.

I'll just say this:
    Far better for him to be in Fulham's Reserves than facing them after January

And there's a certain fan that I will be pouncing on, every chance, should the latter come to pass.
    :twisted:

"I am Pettyfog and I know some footy."

6. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

One of my favorite letters is "O".

The Guardian are a bunch of wankers. Obviously that rag doesn't do its homework. And the guys on the offal, they are too busy spouting not so thinly veiled racist white noise and trying to be cute with their sophomoric, school boy humour to even have an idea who Onyewu is and where he comes from.

I NEED this headline, "Standard accepts bid for Onyewu". Hopefully, by the end of this week, if not sooner.

7. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: One of my favorite letters is "O".

What is quite comical about the naysayers of Gooch and his lack of experience, etc is that Gooch has more experience in club European competitions and International matches than our back four combined.

Yes, the US did not have a great World Cup, but there is a reason people were foaming at the mouth about Onyewu before the Cup in Germany. He is still young and immensely talented and exactly what we need. He will step in and start in the near future (a few weeks or a month) at Fulham if he signs.

For those comparing him to Zat, that is a slap in Gooch's face. Gooch is a completely different player than Zat. First off, he is much, much stronger and way more physical than Zat ever will be. He is also a better athlete and faster than Zat. He will make all Fulham fan's think Cookie is a genious if he signs Gooch.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: One of my favorite letters is "O".

I just love it when you fellas talk like that!

9. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I say we show our support for Onyewu and Fulham by flooding the Offal Messageboard with support for the bid on Gooch. It can't hurt, just don't let them know you are a Yank.

http://messageboard.fulhamfc.com/

10. martin

martin New Member

Re: RE: One of my favorite letters is "O".

It is remarkable that people are holding the World Cup against Gooch. Lots of good players had poor World Cups. Are Frank Lampard and Ronaldinho suddenly crap because they were bad in Germany? Of course not, and neither is Gooch.

I think the crazy officiating in the Cup hurt Gooch. He was always playing with a yellow and could not play his normal physical game. His game is better suited to a physical league like the EPL, where players don't dive at the slightest touch and not every little bump results in a card.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Re: RE: One of my favorite letters is "O".

It is especially remarkable when he only played badly against the Czech Republic when Pavel Nedved carved up the entire USA team. He got better with each match, and looked every bit the World Cup player by the time things ended. There was just an incredible amount of piling on by the American announcers. As for the folks on the offal, I get the feeling that it chafes their heinies to admit that Brian is great, and they're not fans of any Latins/blacks. One comment I see over there often is "Go all of Fulham's English players."

Nemmind; it's our team too!

12. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Yes Gooch does make the occasional Knight-mare like error but his upside is way bigger. He made a few mistakes at the world cup but what central defender doesn’t. Everyone seems to think John Terry had a great world cup but I recall a few near fatal mistakes on his part.

Personally I think CB is the hardest position on the field. Your errors are compounded and always noticed. A moment of indecision kills you.

Btw John Terry may be the most over rated player in the EPL.

13. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

You guys are getting all wound up!

Lets look at it from their perspective, an 'unknown' player (to them anyway) was a target for their beloved team. The ONLY exposure they've had of him was the World Cup and most of them ONLY saw the debacle vs. the Czechs.

Now Fulham, with a very important centerback position to fill that may complete their backfield, bid for this player. Do you not expect them to be skeptical? I would be if I was them. They don't have a problem that he is American they just have a problem that he is an 'unknown'.

McBride, Diop and Volzy all got the same treatment before they signed now the fans are happy we have them...if Gooch does join he will prove them he is worthy.

14. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I think Premiership manager are scared because of that clown Boumsong. Gooch is similar in the physical side of the game and can make a mistake every now and then. However I think Gooch is better mentally. When US fans were starting to question Gooch after Azteca 2005 he comes back with a good Gold Cup and completley shuts down Jared Borghetti in Columbus. He learns from his mistakes which Boumsong clearly doesnt. Gooch would also probably be cheaper than Costa and is BY FAR the better player. If we pay 3M for Costa and let Gooch slip away for less Coleman should be sacked immediatley.

15. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Mike,

What do your spies tell you? We know you have or can get the inside scoop.

16. krhimself

krhimself New Member

As the Gooch turns:

17. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

What's the above from, Kr?

18. krhimself

krhimself New Member

just got it off of Skysports. i haven't checked to see if the other sites are reporting anything similar, though.

19. gkcoach1

gkcoach1 New Member

Hmmm. Last I checked Gooch chopped down Borgetti, one of CONCACAF's best in the qualifier. He did a great job in the Italy game, and was not helped a lick with Eddie Pope and his Air QuikCrete's. I can only tell you that the kid is something special, will make things happen, and just cuz the mirror doesn't like him, he will become a fan favorite quickly. He can flat out play. Period.

20. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

I hope we sign Gooch. He is a rare combination of size and speed. I think the club needs to do what it can to sign him. The fans in England that don't like the idea of signing him are just basing their judgement of him from the World Cup. They haven't seen the potential he's shown or his dominance of Borghetti in the 2nd qualifier. I think if he signs on, he'll quickly work his way into the first team. Come on Gooch!!!!