Fulham Summer '06 Transfers

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by DCDave, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Kruse

Kruse New Member

Hear hear! And instead of Hermann, what about John Mensah from Rennes! Mensah is only 24 and theire has been some rumours of Mensah going to Fulham. It's been said that Reading was close to sign him but that he rather would move to London were he's best friend and team mate from Ghana lives, Michael Essien...

Bring in Mensah, Cookie!

2. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Rumour has it that Cookie is currently in Russia to discuss terms with a young player by the name of Simon Vukcevic. A Serbia and Montenegro international...another midfielder though?!

3. Kruse

Kruse New Member

And about that Latvian player in Russia, this guy Marian Verpakovskis playes for some Kiev-team. Altough, Verpakovskis is a attacker, maybe he could be used as a winger....?

And if it's Vukcevic i definetly think that he will be played to the right.

4. Kruse

Kruse New Member

5. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

That is unfortunate as we need an experienced Center-half. If we get Quedrue, which I am biting my nails about, we still need a center-half to bolster the defense.

Many people are thinking Christenval is the answer there and while he is a good talent, I cannot realistically believe this guy will stay healthy all season long with his injury history over the past few seasons. He will help the defense, but we need a solid center-half to solidify what was the shakiest part of the team this season.

6. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I'm defiantly not sold on Christenval as our solution. The guy’s way to injury prone and I'm not sure about his ability. I fear a back line of Volz-Knight-Pearce-Boca against Man U. No matter what way you slice it it's not going to get the job done. Coleman should have had a new center back in January, so it’s very worrying that we have yet to bring a new one in yet and have lost Goma.

7. Kruse

Kruse New Member

The back line will probably look moore like this if nothing happends: Volzy-Boca-Pearc/Knight-Liam =D

My dream: Volzy/Liam-Boca-Mensah-Bridge

8. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Want-away Fulham midfielder Steed Malbranque is a £4m target for Reading. (The Sun, Daily Mirror)

Only 4m?

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

What Summer Transfers?

I'm getting depressed about FFC in the transfer market. We're playing for real in a couple of weeks and we still haven't gotten a central defender. We could have gotten Gooch in March or April; if we get him or Mensah [and boy did he impress] even later this week they won't have time to get clear on our system by mid-late September. By that time we could be in the bottom three with only a couple of points. We have to stop the opponents from scoring, and what we have won't do it.

I hope to Clapton that I'm wrong, but I have a sick feeling about this season. :cry:

10. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: What Summer Transfers?

I do not have a sick feeling about this season quite yet. I do feel very strongly that this team needs to get a central defender or even two to solidfy a weak defense from last season.

While the Quedrue signing would be great, it still is not official and the longer this lingers on, the less comfortable I feel about things.

I am happy Coleman is trying to bring some youth into the team and yesterday he was in Russia looking at a Serbia Under-21 international midfielder, but in all honesty, we need some defenders NOW who can contribute to this team.

Mensah, Onyewu are a few as Don mentioned that could be had if the time was put in to things to make the deals happen.

What I do not get is how Coleman and the rest of the staff can look at the Fulham defense right now and feel comfortable with the players currently on the team and have faith that any four of those can be a strong defense. I just do not see the defense improving much from last season to this season and that could be a huge, huge problem as it was last season.

11. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

RE: What Summer Transfers?

I get a more and more empty feeling by the day. They best CB at the club in Bocanegra and our only LB is N. Jensen! Not going to work people. Fans are supposed to feel delusional and optimistic before the season and desperately hopeless a few weeks in. The fact that I feel the later already really sucks.

12. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Re: RE: What Summer Transfers?

Trust me that it is all in the works Spencer and you will be happy with the outcome with in a day or two. Queudrue is in Austria with the team and another signing may be announced with his. I don't know who it is in all honesty but it may be Boyce from Crystal Palace....or the Russian guy Cookie just went and saw.

Fulham is notorious for leaving transfers late and a team like ours with a set budget, can't afford to blow it on the first few players we see in case someone becomes available in August 20th!!

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: Re: RE: What Summer Transfers?

Sounds good to me, Mike. I'll hang in there and wait for Act III.

14. martin

martin New Member

According to the Guardian, Fulham is one of the clubs who have been "discreetly offered" James Milner by Newcastle. He is apparently surplus now that the Duffman is on board. If this is true, we should be all over Milner. The kid can play! We'd probably have to sell Steed first to afford it.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,1830142,00.html?gusrc=rss

15. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I like Milner. He is young and active and has been playing in the Premiership for at least three or four seasons and is still only probably 21 or 22. I would love to see this happen although I have my doubts it actually will.

16. tibor

tibor New Member

17. jreid19

jreid19 Member

Buffalo, Home of the Wing and City of Raw Deals
    Clubcall is reporting the same thing

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

What summer transfers?

I saw the info about Brian retiring while watching the Crew v. the other Blue Poo, so I checked Yanks-Abroad for the article.

Just below it was an article about Onyewu beginning his third season with Standard Liege. I AM DISGUSTED! :3d crying:

19. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: What summer transfers?

For some reason teams in England have been scared off of Onyewu. Seems to be a perfect fit for Fulham if you ask me. Surely the price is not too much.

20. Jacob

Jacob New Member

Well back to the drawing board in the fantasy league. I'm now over my Fulham quota....lol