Fulham Summer '06 Transfers

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by DCDave, Feb 16, 2006.

1. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

One advantage we would have other his French suitors, according to Quedrue, no need to worry about needing to sell our LB. This fits very well into Cookie's recent statement regarding getting more experienced players for at least two more acquisitions during the transfer season.

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: Fulham Summer

The other nice thing about Quedrue is that he is only 27. He still have a couple more years in his prime to offer a club.......hopefully Fulham!

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

It has now been ONE WEEK since anything has been written on Gooch in the footy press.

That's really under the radar and the newly humbled Onyewu would now be a great signing... his ego being reset and all.

Just keeping the long shot alive..
    ;)

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am with you Petty. For some reason teams seem to be scared off from him after a so-so World Cup. Now is the time Fulham should step up their pursuit. Perhaps get him for 2 million pounds or so. We do need a CB!!!

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

yeah, and I think OO learns. I remember how the Mexicans undressed him in the WC qualifiers and then how he played Borghetti off the pitch in the return match.

I've been impressed with Quedrue. He's fast and hard and looks like a thinker on the pitch. Plus he has a funny name so he'll be entertaining on that level.

6. pettyfog

Beating the horse some more:
    I think that the Clubs, who were watching Gooch, SHOULD have been watching him against Italy and Ghana and judging him only on those two games.

7. Jacob

Jacob New Member

Indeed, It was said in the article on the main page about Zakuani that he needs more experienced players with him to reach his full potiential. Getting Quedrue at LB would solve our on going issue there and provide a leadership role to develope Zakuani some more. This is all banking on Zakuani playing first team football. Who knows how he will be fit in. I hope this one works out though.

8. martin

martin New Member

Re: RE: Fulham Summer

This would be a great signing. He's a solid defender, occasionally nicks a goal, and he's in his prime. Bring him on!

9. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

RE: Re: RE: Fulham Summer

Curious, what would you guys say is the max you'd pay for Whayne Bridge? I guess it depends on how much you've got and how many other holes you need to fill. But, in general I'd say a Whayne Bridge is worth 5 million pounds.(I seem to be the only one who does)

Though in this case i'm not sure I'd pay that because we have other holes to fill. The money needs to be spread around. WE NEED A NEW CENTER BACK, I'm so sick of Zat Knight.

10. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: Re: RE: Fulham Summer

I would not pay more than 3-3.5 million pounds for this guy. I am not saying he is not a decent player and would not fill a hole, but as I have eluded to and you have to, spending five million for him would blow the whole transfer kitty on one player when we clearly have more than one need.

In fact, I would even go as far as saying, we saw what Bridge did for the defense last season and to be honest with you, things did not change much with or without him in the game. Thus, there are plenty of other needs.

If we could get Quedrue for half that, I think we are getting one of the more underrated left-backs in the Premiership and we will still have some money to spend for that center-back we so desperately need.

11. jmh

jmh New Member

Maybe I'm missing the point, but... why should he only be judged on those two games?

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

because he was caught up in the general funk against the Czech Republic. Gooch learns and adapts, and that's what he should be judged on.

13. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Fulham Summer

F, F, Forget about that overpriced, overhyped Wayne Bridge. Pick up Quedrue and Gooch, and consider it a very substantial transfer season. Maybe knick a couple of young, potential players also, but defense is the concern now and ending with two additional strong players, one with substantial experience, and the other with such a potential upside, would be a strong end to the acquisitions. I can't think of a better way to close the window and head into the season (within reason).

14. Jacob

Jacob New Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Fulham Summer

Looks like we got him? Hard to believe everthing in the media though.

This was also in the gossip pages:
    I'm pretty sick of his crap. He is hurting the club by holding out for high wages. What can be done about his situation?

15. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Fulham Summer

As I have said, I do not think this situation will go away until late in the transfer window around August 28th or so. After the season ha started and a team gets off to a slower start, the team will make a panic buy for Steed and give into his demands. Fulham should continue to let him rot in the reserves. He deserves it!

16. martin

martin New Member

Steed could learn a thing or two from our new boy Runstrom. From an article about his move from Hammarby to FFC:

Quoted from http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid ... t&channel=

Now that's the right way to handle a transfer. Players leave their clubs all the time. It's a tough decision but it doesn't have to be negative. There is no reason Steed's situation should have gotten this ugly.

Cheers,
    Martin

17. pettyfog

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Fulham Summer

Ditto how McBride handled his..
    MLS had reportedly turned down over 2.5 million for him; in the new contract they rewarded Brian with a 1 million transfer fee.
    Which worked out all the way around

18. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

He could have learned this lesson way before Runstrom...I do remember a former Fulham Keeper who left with integrity. Signed a contract extension in January so Fulham could get some money the following summer...

Ooooo aaaahhhhh Edwin Van Der Sar
    Ooooo aaaahhhhh Edwin Van Der Sar

19. Jacob

Jacob New Member

I agree he should continue to rot in the reserves. I just hope that he goes out in this transfer window rather than in January. If he leaves later rather than sooner we will have to take whatever is offered. I just can't believe he would put management in that kind of situation.

On another non-Steed note: Anyone know how much of the transfer kitty is left?

20. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Great question Jacob. From what Coleman said after the season, he had around 7.5 million pounds to spend. 2.5 million went for Bullard. 1.1 or so went for Zakuani and around 700,000 went from Runstrom. That would leave around three million plus whatever the club would get for Steed.