FULHAM SIGNS KASEY KELLER

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by sublicon, Aug 23, 2007.

1. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

I was about to say the same thing then read the entire thread!!!

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Great signing. I've never been Kasey's #1 fan, but he's the 4th best American keeping goal right now, and that's significantly better than Warner or Batista. He was Gladbach's MVP two years ago, and still has chops.

Welcome aboard, Kasey -- NOW DON'T MAKE US LOOK BAD!

3. cottagerinmemphis

cottagerinmemphis New Member

Keller may be a step slower than he was a few years ago but come on...he has so much experience and VERY rarely makes the big mistake. (i.e. Warner!!!) Is the guy going to steal games anymore...probably not. Will he lose games for us...no. Seems to me that's all we needed against Arsenal and Boro to win those games. I, for one, hope they throw him in goal this weekend. He CAN'T be worse than Warner...my grandmother is better than Warner.

4. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

just give me somebody that won't PUT the ball in the net for the opposition. After Arsenal I told myself to give Warner a chance. Now i'm telling myself to tighten the noose around my neck every time I see Warner in goal

5. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I think that Sanchez should of went into the market early and picked up Carson from Liverpool. He would of been here on loan. Keller is crap. I know he is a hero in some peoples views here, but he is old and slow.

6. sublicon

sublicon New Member

That isn't really saying much, you can say this about any keeper that's considered to be "the best in the world."

Keller is a good signing. Let give it time, see how this pans out.

7. sublicon

sublicon New Member

Have you watched any matches this season? Just curious...

8. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

Whether he's great or terrible for them, this is a zero risk move for Fulham. Either he improves their backup goalkeeping position, which I think he will, or he doesn't and he rides the pine. Either way, as Tom points out, they didn't spend a single pound in transfer fee for him and that's key. I also like the veteran backup QB analogy.

9. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

You really think Fulham are a strong defensive unit? I have watched the matches and the defense is improved, but still not anywhere near where it needs to be.

10. phillybiz

phillybiz New Member

Beat me 2 the punch ffc24. Carson was one signing I really wanted 2 see. The guy was great at times last year with Zero defensive help. But with that being said, having Kellar around on free can only help.

11. tibor

tibor New Member

Keller is getting older, but any goalie will look like DJ Countess (that's for you omsdogg) when they get hung out to dry over and over again by their defense.

I think he still has some magic left in those hands for the next couple of years. I heard rumblings that he wanted to try and play through the next World Cup before calling it a career.

Hope he brings his A game with him. If so, I'm all for it.

12. DCDave

DCDave Member

Would you say he's the Vinnie Testavarde of football? (BTW, Vinnie's back in the NFL with the Pats.)

13. Markus

Markus Member

?...I don't recall any. Especially none close to the one's we've seen in Fulham goal the last few weeks.

I agree he looks a bit slower after watching the Copa, but his experience and decision making skills are there.
    Great signing.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

FFC24, the problems with signing Carson on loan:

1. He would only go to a side that would use him as the front-line keeper. Is he a front-line EPL keeper? Bet your life he is, but what about Niemi having just signed an extension. Is HE a front-line EPL keeper? Bet your life he is.

2. The problem with an on-loan keeper from a side in your own league is that you go up against his old side with a weakened defense. I honestly believe that one reason United won the title last year was that they played four matches against the backup goalkeeper, and Chelsea never did.

Keller is better than Warner and a lot cooler and calmer. Chill dude.

15. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

The problem with Carson is that Liverpool likely wanted him to be playing first team football each and every week and with a fit Niemi, I do NOT think Fulham could guarantee that.

I have the feeling that Sorensen is in for a season at Villa with very little playing time to accomodate Carson. I could be wrong, but that is where the issue lies for me with regards to Carson coming to Fulham.

16. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Dave; I even think Vinny is a little long in the tooth (Vinny a few years ago more like). Right now I might compare Kasey w/Brad Johnson of your hated rival the Cowboys (assuming your a 'skins fan). He's consistent, competent, and respected.[/quote]

17. phillybiz

phillybiz New Member

Some very good points that perhaps I didn't think fully about Don. Was just checking that same thing out Tom. I was under the impression Sorenson was Villa's number 1 when healthy. But I think you could be right.

18. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

Or Jeff Garcia with the Eagles last year.

19. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

yep....supporting RSL I've seen goalies getting hung out to dry for 2 1/2 seasons!!!!

20. sublicon

sublicon New Member

Where does it "need to be", coach?