Fulham sign Schwarzer

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by CincyFulham, May 22, 2008.

1. CincyFulham

CincyFulham New Member

Fulham Football Club has announced the signing of Australian international goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer on a two year deal that will see the player at the club until the summer of 2010.

The 35 year-old began his professional career at the age of 19 with Marconi Stallions, in the National Soccer League. After spells at Dynamo Dresden, FC Kaiserslautern and Bradford City, Schwarzer joined Middlesbrough in April 1997. He is considered a large contributor to the recent success of Middlesbrough and an important part of the team.

Schwarzer made his international debut against Canada in Edmonton in a 1994 World Cup qualifier and after numerous appearances for the Socceroos was instrumental in Australia's qualification for the 2006 FIFA World Cup, in the play-off against Uruguay. After Uruguay won the first leg 1–0 in Montevideo, Australia won 1–0 in Sydney. Most recently, Schwarzer saved an 89th minute Shao Jiayi penalty against China in Australia's 0–0 draw in the 2010 World Cup qualifier in March 2008, continuing his fine record of stopping penalty kicks.

Mark Schwarzer said:
    ‘I am delighted to have joined Fulham and look forward immensely to the new challenge in my career. I spent many happy years at Middlesbrough and would like to thank everyone there for their valued support. However, I felt the time was right for me to move on, and when the opportunity to talk to Roy Hodgson about his plans came about, although I had other offers from some great Clubs throughout Europe, it didn’t take long to make a decision about joining the Fulham. I’m now looking forward to joining up with the Australian National team for our World Cup Qualifiers and then of course to meeting up with the rest of the lads for pre-season at Fulham in July.’

Roy Hodgson added:
    ‘After stiff competition from a number of high profile European clubs, I am exceptionally pleased that Mark has chosen to come to Fulham. His credentials on both the domestic and international arenas are impeccable which is reinforced by the calibre of clubs that wanted to sign him. We have some work to do off the field this summer to enable us to compete next season in the Premier League and to avoid the position we found ourselves in a short time ago. Therefore I am very pleased that Mark will be joining us and helping with the task ahead.’

2. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I think it is a very good move for Fulham although I now expect two out of Warner, Niemi, Batista, Keller to leave. At least.

Also, its good to see on the boro messageboards that they are overall upset at the move.

3. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Does anyone have a clue to what the transfer fee was for Schwarzer?

4. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Re: RE: Fulham sign Schwarzer

FREE as he wanted out of Boro and ditched a contract extension with them not so long ago. So good business overall.

5. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

RE: Re: RE: Fulham sign Schwarzer

Warner will probably be gone and Keller is probably going to the MLS. But that is just my guess. The fact we got him on a free is great. Very exciting to see the business getting done so soon.

6. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

Niemi has another year on his contract, so he could stay as a backup. I'd prefer to sell him if possible, though, and let Batista and Stockdale compete for the backup job.

7. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I'd prefer to have Shwarzer and Keller, but obviously Keller is now a big question mark. I don't see him as the guy who necessarily sticks around to hang out with buds, but perhaps Mighty Mac has some pull this season.

8. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Hey, the price was right.

My input -- Keep Keller, because I like his game better than anyone else's on last season's squad, and handshakes, thank yous, and best wishes to Niemi and Warner. I'm sure Woy will be on developing Batista and Stockdale for the future; somehow, against all odds, we managed to get even older in between the sticks.

9. Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln

Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln New Member

Keeper is one position where I don't mind seeing a bit of age. As long as he doesn't pull a Neville Southall and takes training from a fast food joint, then I'm more than pleased with Schwarzer in a Fulham shirt.

AmericanMike offered a great point above. One measure of discerning the quality of an incoming player is through the fans of the club he leaves behind. If the 'Boro fans are worried about losing his services, then that says something about Schwarzer.

10. psand22

psand22 Member

Well, it didn't take long for Roy to bring in his first signing of the summer. There had been a lot of talk of goal keepers, but I hadn't heard Schwarzer's name mentioned. Looks like a good move to me and even better with the free transfer. With this move is Keller out for sure or do we move Niemi? Or maybe the young guns are ready to fill that back up role...

11. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

A free transfer. Well done Fulham. Supposedly Schwarzer turned down Bayern and Juventus for Fulham. I find it hard to believe, but maybe Schwarzer has taken to England and moving to Italy or Germany would be a big choice at the last stages of his career. He also wouldn't be featured in a starting role for either side and he obviously still believes he has some gas left in the tank.

If Fulham could sell Niemi and Warner for a combined total of 3-5 million I would be happy. Not sure how much Niemi's stock has fallen due to injury, but we shall see as I believe their time is coming to an end with Fulham.

12. jmh

jmh New Member

Of course, Southampton fans were pretty upset about losing Chris Baird too.

Are we sure we're signing Stockdale? The latest news was that we had agreed on a transfer fee with Darlington, and that personal terms had to be worked out, and that was almost a month ago now.

13. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

gotta say i'm suprised about this one. guess that means keller is a goner. wish it was niemi, but he's still under contract.

14. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

This sets up nicely. Move Niemi, he has value.

Definitely keep Batista.

Keller can then leave for Seattle in January, if things are going well with the Aussie in charge.

Any comments seen anywhere on how well Schwarzer commands the D?

15. ToviFromSantaBarbara

ToviFromSantaBarbara New Member

I LOVE that this is our first signing of the summer because it shows our other potentials that Roy means business. If he truly chose Fulham over more lucrative clubs / contracts, then maybe the others considering will do the same.

Let's keep it going, and I hope the "Outs" get revealed soon as well.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I don't quite know about that, but in Southgate's first season, I thought he was instrumental in keeping them up. He'd lost the lynchpin of his back four -- southgate -- and kept it together for 'boro.

All I know is that he's frustrated the crap out of me by some good saves and cut outs against us. As LBJ once said of HHH, "better to have him inside the tent pissing out than outside pissing in."

Aussie Aussie Aussie!

17. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

As FANS, that' certainly what we'd like to see.

As 'pro club' observers, that's not likely. Consider that ruling players out, en masse reduces their value as trade bait and transfer buyout, if applicable.

If I were Woy, I'd keep the short list as quiet as possible.

18. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Gotta appreciate KK, he's had an amazing career, but Schwarzer is an upgrade. I'm sure either Niemi or Keller will backup (my guess is they'll try and deal Antii), keep the two youngsters on loan and starting as oppossed to watching.

19. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

agree with Joe...I think Schwarzer is a big coup. This guy is a terrific keeper and we're lukcy to have him. Kasey in a deputy's role until January when he can go to Seattle. Then Batista or Stockdale can maybe step in and be the backup unless Roy finds someone else.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Startling quote from Wikipedia:

"On April 34, 2008, it was announced that Schwarzer was a nominee for Asian Player of the Year." :shock:

Ah well, I'll be glad to see him kitted out for the season kickoff on July37! :wink: