Fulham rumours for January '06

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by rumstove, Sep 4, 2005.

1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

It looks like Fulham is set to snap up Southampton keeper Antti Niemi in a 1.5 million pound deal. He is 33 years old and is a Finnish international. I have not seen him play this season in the Coca-Cola Championship, but I do know during his stint with Saints that he was a solid keeper. This is not official, but it is what SkySports.com is reporting. Here is a link:

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid ... ham+switch

2. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

He is an exceptional keeper - one of the best in the country, IMHO, and if we sign him and No23 then I'll be a happy bunny. Well, for the time being anyway!

3. DCDave

DCDave Member

With Warner, Crossley, and Drogba, do we really need a fourth keeper? It seems to me that none of the three we have are chopped liver. Couldn't the 1.5 mil be better spent on Zat Knight's replacement?

4. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

Warner is not good enough quality. EDVS earned us at least 12 extra points last seaon and while Niemi is no EDVS, he's a top quality replacement. Crossley is 37 and was dire against Villa. As for Drognby - I don't think anyone has the answer there.

However, we DO need a replacment for Zat and Southgate is too old now. We need some experience - not some 19 year old Portugeuse kid who has to aclimate to the UK while trying to used to used to the pace of the Premiership. West Ham beat us to the 2 best central defenders outside of the premiership last summer - a disgrace seeing as they are welsh - but we need someone with bite to fill in for Goma or Boca when injured.

5. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

**Official** Niemi Signs

On the official that they will soon make the official announcement, well, official.

How strange eh?!

I really hope he continues his form from when I used to see him play. The guy is class and possibly one of the biggest signings Coleman has brought in.

6. sfm

sfm Member

RE: **Official** Niemi Signs

The Mail on Sunday says we are in talks for Sporting Lisbon centre back Beto, along w/ Spurs. Things are looking up for us.

7. Jacob

Jacob New Member

Re: RE: **Official** Niemi Signs

Link??

8. rumstove

rumstove New Member

RE: Re: RE: **Official** Niemi Signs

Charlton and Fulham are chasing Middlesbrough striker Hasselbaink. (Star, Mirror)

9. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Niemi is a world class keeper and now we have a replacement for EVDS. IMO Niemi is one of the 5 best keepers in England and one of the top 15 in the world. Also while he is 33 most keepers play well until they are like 35 or 36.

Why would we want Hasselbaink now? Hasselbaink is not the forward he used to be and is 33. Mcbride and Radz are also over 30. Robert Earnshaw handed in a transfer request and surely 2-3M would be enough to bring him to Fulham. Earnshaw scored over 10 goals last season and didnt even play all the time.

Also I think we still need another LB and another CB. I would be happy with Sodje as he is class and wouldnt cost much. As for the LB I like Djimi Traore from Liverpool. Alot of people think hes rubbish because of that own goal against Burnley, but he had a decent season with Liverpool last season. Also he can play in central defense as well.

10. Jacob

Jacob New Member

BBC Monday Gossip:

Manchester City will make a final bid to sign midfielder Steed Malbranque, before moving on to other targets Dean Ashton and Danny Murphy. (Mirror)

..Move right along.

11. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Petrov in? Looks serious!

Petrov contest for...

12. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: Petrov in? Looks serious!

Stilian Petrov would be a great signing for us. I spoke with a number of the Celtic supporters at a pub recently in Chicago about Petrov and all reviews of him were glowing. They would like to keep him, but while I never thought I would say this, "Fulham's money" might tempt them to sell now and make a profit on an expiring contract. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

13. DCDave

DCDave Member

Sean Davis won't be returning to Fulham--he has signed with Portsmouth. They got three players form Spurs. That's not good for us since we're both near the bottom of the table...

14. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Once the Russian bought into Pompey last week, I feared something like this. I was not worried about Abramovich type of money, but this new guy will inject a good chunk of change into Pompey as he showed today in signing Davis, Pamarot and Pedro Mendes. Are they the three best players? No, but the fact that they are direct competition to relegation is a bit concerning.

15. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

This is just a thought on my part, not a rumour I heard, but what would everyone think of potentially bringing in Aston Villa left back Jlloyd Samuel? He wants out of Villa and is only 24 years old. He has had his struggles, but he clearly has talent. In the 2003-2004 season, he was one of the best LB's in the entire league. I am not sure what the asking price would be, but I think he is worth looking at. A change of scenery to me would do him a lot of good. And...as we all know, left back is a position Fulham has always been in short supply of.

16. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Fulham has tabled a bid for Portsmouth left back Matthew Taylor. The 24-year-old is a former under-21 England international. Pundits are saying that Pompey is trying to earn back some of the money they spent last week when they raided Spurs of three players including Sean Davis.

Taylor has appeared in 18 matches this season for Pompey and has scored three goals in the process from his left back position. This would patch up the hole Fulham has on the left side of defense. I am not sure what the amount of the bid was to Portsmouth, but I see this as being a good signing if it happens. Here is a link to the story from Sky:

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid ... tball_home

17. sfm

sfm Member

Great news: The Sun - I only read it for the articles mind you-- are reporting we have signed Wayne Bridge on a five month's loan deal! Oh how I do hope it is true; he is just the man we need.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002 ... 78,00.html

It is on the left center of tomorrow's back page; saw it on FSW tonight @ 7 pm EST

Also the Times reports the bid for Matt Taylor is back on

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 35,00.html

If true then Taylor would play left side of midfield and Bridge @ left back. Taylor is a bit smallish as I recall.

Viva el Fulham!

18. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

Re: RE: Petrov in? Looks serious!

He's a quality player, but I hate the idea of a loan without the option to buy. Its a short term measure and we only end up rehabilitating a player on behalf of Chelscumski. Surely we would be better off finding a permanent solution?

19. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I tend to agree with this. If there are no other options, I think this would be a good move. However, with Matthew Taylor out there for the taking, it would be nice to take Taylor now and solve our left-back problem not just for five months, but for a number of years. Taylor has the ability to score goals and he is a strong defender that can also play in the midfield.

Yes, Bridge would be a better play for five months, but what do we do in the summer? I guess find a new left back. With Taylor available now, I think we should pounce on him and make it happen.

I am guessing I am in the minority on this one. What does everyone else think?

20. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I agree with you on the most part...with just one little disagreement, I think. Don't players tend to be higher than their worth in the January transfer market? If so, then waiting till the summer might be a good thing. Plus, I wouldn't be too surprised if Bridge was available for purchase at the end of his loan deal.