Fulham @ Portsmouth [R]

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by pettyfog, Nov 7, 2006.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Reckon they can keep it up?

2. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

RE: Fulham @ Portsmouth {pregame}

1-1 draw is what I am going with. I think it will be a tough game, but if we can come out with the pace we always show in the second half we will be able to shut them down.

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Content with 1-1, but Pompey is reeling. We must make some effort to go for the throat also.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

What's the injury status on Brown? the Wardrobe? Boca ready for a hard 90? Need to hold off on my lineup until we get a little closer to the day.

5. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Not sure on either of these players Don. As I have mentioned many times on here, Papa Bouba Diop's injuries always seem to linger. When he gets hurt the team makes it out like he will be back the following week and next thing you know, he is out for two months. I am guessing that is happening with him yet again.

I would assume Brown will be back at the latest against Manchester City and perhaps even this week.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

If that's the case, here's my lineup

--- --- --- Rummy's Hero --- --- ---
    - --- Liam -- Zat -- Ian -- 3Us ---
    Routledge -- Brown -- Jensen -- Boa
    -- -- -- -- HH -- -- BMB -- -- -- --

And I'm hoping 1-1. I'm thinking 2-1, but I'm hoping 1-1.

I'll have The Shirt on from the time I get up, but I haven't decided whether to do the chatroom or wait and watch it "live" Saturday afternoon.

COYW!!!!

7. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I will be waiting to watch this one LIVE in the afternoon on Fox Soccer Channel. I might actually get to sleep in a bit because of that. YEAH!!!

8. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

We could have a "delayed" chat room as we chant, drink, and enjoys each others company in our virtual Craven Cottage, if there is any interest in that.

Which stands are the best?

9. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

2-0 for us.

Niemi
    Liam Zat Pearcey Que
    Boca
    Routledge Claus Boa Radz
    B-Mac

Push Boa forward into the attack more.

This is if Brownie and Papa can't play

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Re: RE: Fulham @ Portsmouth {pregame}

I'm all over the delayed chatroom idea. See you at 1:15 central. I'll be the one drinking tea.

Sigh

11. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

RE: Re: RE: Fulham @ Portsmouth {pregame}

Careful you don't drive after.

See you there.

12. rumstove

rumstove New Member

It's early in the week, but at this time HatterDon's lineup looks good to me.

Portsmouth will probably have Sol Campbell back, who missed their last match with a virus of some sort. And Kanu is having a good season so far.

Once again, I will be thrilled with a draw.

13. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

I hate Portsmouth and would willingly give my right testicle (I'm partial to the left one) to beat them in their own caravan park, sorry ground. They are a dirty bunch of pikies and I hope the police are out in full force for this one. Mike, or anyone actually going to the game, i would really appreciate a rousing chorus of "The wheels on your house go round and round...".

Having said all that, I think a draw is the best we can hope for.

14. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Any team who is nicknamed after a prison hulk are not not going to be friendly!

We don't have a great record at Fratton Park:

2005-06 lost 1-0
    2004-05 lost 4-3
    2003-04 drew 1-1

I think this will be our year. 1-0 to us. We need to play Sean Davis out the game as he will be up for it. I'll assume he'll start since he did last week against Man U.

15. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Let's hear more from you and others, GBFC. I'm interested in what the best tactics and strategy are against this squad.

I like Don's line-up.

Bench:
    Radz
    Volz
    Bocanegra
    John
    Czech Keeper

16. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

And I actually might actually take the leash off and sub John to start over Helguson. Portsmouth seems to have a big and physical defense, which may bounce the lil' Icelander around too much in the beginning. Also, have to consider starting Volz over Routledge at RM for the same reason, but not as big a worry.

17. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Fulham @ Portsmouth {pregame}

Much as I don' think John deserves to be in the line-up...I think his pace may warrant a call up to the first team. Sol will eat BMB and HH all day for breakfast because he loves a good tussle. However, he hates pace. Lets see Radz, Routledge, Boa and John all running at hime.

18. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Fulham @ Portsmouth {pregame}

Opps didn't see your post there...well great minds and all that.

19. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

Is Portsmouth really that good? They didn't impress me last week when I saw them on TV. But they were playing Manchester United. In Manchester. On Ferguson's 20th Anniversery of Managing the Team. OK, so Portsmouth didn't have a lot going in for them and lost big to the "Devils."

Anyway, Bocanegra played so well last game, I don't see why he can't start against Portsmouth. But I also don't know whether to stick him in the back four or the midfield. I like omsdogg's formation and hope that Fulham gets a big road victory regardless of who's in or out. In any case, I agree with Glen, the Cottagers need to run the hell all over Portsmouth. They displayed this ability to some degree against Everton, and I think that's one of the reasons why they won. It is kind of hard to mount an attack or get a good shot if you're able to get in front of opposing forwards faster than they expect you to.

To hell with the ties, GO FOR THREE! COYW! (I should be in the chat at 2:15.)

20. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Portsmouth is a very intimidating place to go, the ground is small and shabby, and the fans are very vocal.

If we are going to win we need to silence the crowd, this means that we cannot wait until the second half to start playing. I like the idea of pace, it is a real killer in the PL. We need to be careful that we do not leave ourselves to light. When you put pace into the team you sacrifice the heavy cavalry.

Working from Don's formation:

--- --- --- Rummy's Hero --- --- ---
    - --- Liam -- BOCCA -- Ian -- 3Us ---
    Routledge -- Brown -- Jensen -- Boa
    -- -- -- -- BMB -- -- -- --
    -- -- -- -- JOHN -- -- -- --

McBride can link the play and also provide the first line of defence, he often does it anyway without it explicitly being his job. I would like to see Bocca start over Knight, he is quicker and has a bigger leap, also he deserves his chance. Coleman has always claimed to be a metiocracy, if he truely is then CB should start.

If John plays you have to accept that we defend with only 10 men. He will not come back and he does not make decoy runs to open the play up. He is selfish and lazy, but I still like him and he is clinical in front of goal. We need his to score to set his season up.

I would have had Voltz in for Liam, but he was so good against Everton he has held his place. Although 1 good game in 5 is not a high enough ratio to keep the place.

COYW