Fulham @ Manchester United

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by ChicagoTom, Jun 29, 2006.

1. ob

ob New Member

Oh God, I don't think I can follow this match any more. Bring on Bolton

2. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

I was listening on the radio and rightfully so the comentators were brutal towards Fulham. One of their quotes were "Man United looks like their playing against a team from the Conference" the other guy said "Now your giving a disservice against the Conference". So I guess I am glad I wasn't able to watch this one. If thats the same defence we use against Bolton Coleman needs to be fired on the spot.

3. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

We'll I've thought about it for a while and I'm sure we'll be alright. It will be a fight but we will stay up, we have to much quality not to. That said I still think all you are mad to think we'll be in the top ten. If today’s match says anything its that were still Fulhamish, still very inconsistent and that the defense still sucks, really really sucks.

I know I know..... what about Christanval and Quedrue. It’s just not good enough. The wings are good but the current central defense will let us down way to often to be in the top ten.

Looking forward, the last time we lost 5-1 we beat Chelsea in the next game. Despite the fact that we were brutal and Bolton looked very sharp I feel good about Wednesday.

4. rumstove

rumstove New Member

*cough* Bring back Knight! *cough*

5. jmh

jmh New Member

Ouch.

There were stretches where Fulham looked good, but you can´t really just tank the first 20 minutes of a match and expect to earn many points.

6. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

What makes this day worse Chelsea wins 3-0 :( .

7. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Bad. Bad. Bad. Bad. We were terrible from the first minute and there were NO stretches in the game we looked good at all. We were overrun by Manchester United all day long.

I give the board this game as exhibit A to show them Christanval and Pearce are not going to be able to cut it all season long as our center-halves. They were slow, out of position and very reactive rather than proactive. I was really disappointed in the whole team today.

While I predicted Fulham to finish ninth, I might have been kidding myself, but looking forward, I hope the Whites can just forget this game and move on against Bolton and do well at home. If we do not win one or both of the two home matches this coming week against Bolton and Sheffield United, that will not be good at all.

8. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

Bolton and Sheffield United both looked impressive Saturday and if we lose to them I can see us looking for a new manager.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I didn't see the Sheffield United match, but aside from one should-have-been-disallowed goal and one once-in-a-lifetime shot from the Spanish fatboy, Bolton looked pretty pedestrian. They had some solid work from their central defenders, and Diouf looked solid, but they are very disjointed right now with so many of their last year's squad disjointed.

I still feel good about my 12th prediction -- a lot better than about my 1-1 prediction!

10. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

I think in was around the 33rd minute or so, but when the two Fulham players both went for the ball and ran into each other, that was terrible. We just looked like we were not focused and bunched up WAY too much. Bullard and Boa need to figure out who is taking those free kicks and get more guys in the box.

All and all a start that will get the staff at Fulham talking about what needs to be fixed for Wednesday’s next match!

11. AtlantaJohn

AtlantaJohn New Member

Man U

That was without a doubt one of the worse performances ever by a Fulham team, the opening match and albeit against one of the powerhouses of the league, but to be caught out in the first 20 minutes was schoolboy stuff, Rosenior was on another planet, the 4th goal the new signing was playing in the middle before he realised to late that Ronaldo was streaking down the wing. But lets rewind, we had the best chance to go one up, a clever free kick caught man u dead and papa hits a terribly weak left shot into the arms of VDS. That was proababy our only chance apart form the goal which probably would have gone well wide until it hit Ferdinand. Bullard worked hard, Brown is a thug, Boa Morte played for the Portugal reserve team and Ronaldo played on the first team and it showed again today why, papa threatens but never delivers, and it was truly men versus boys. I mentioned a few weeks ago that the pressure will be on CC to put Steed in the team well after that debacle it wont be to long before everyone wants him in, and who could argue against that. Lastly we have just had the first game and the message boards are full of posts saying I think we will stay up, is that the extent of Fulhams ambition, just to stay up every year, if so then why bother playing games like this, I am not saying we can ever hope to finsih above the big boys but surely we have more ambition that just being the shooting gallery for the likes of Man U ETC.

12. dirtyboy

dirtyboy New Member

RE: Man U

I woke up bright and early with a splitting headache. I somehow drank way too much the night before. 20 minutes into the match and I felt 10 times worse. The last month of anticipation feels like a bad memory now.

Just went to fulhamfc.com and the site is down – it should be after that pathetic performance.

I walked over to my local farmer market and I overheard a guy on his mobile phone laughing about the match and how bad Fulham were. Obviously I was annoyed with the conversation and the frontrunning Man U fan. I did get some relief in the fact that the news kits haven’t arrived and I didn’t need to be ridiculed openly.

As you can see disappointment is high, think a few drinks will help?

COYW!

13. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Reality check time! Perhaps this could be what is needed to get everyone off their duff and focused.

Right now, we need a CB (or two)!!!

14. BC

BC New Member

Wow, what a tough match to have as my first match supporting Fulham! I'm certain that this match was a fluke and that we are much better than what was shown today. It reminded me of the USA-CZE World Cup match where the US got knocked flat by early goals. It's hard to come back from that and gain any sort of composure. Looking at last season's results, there were some lopsided affairs but we managed to finish above relegation. We'll be fine. Let's not read too much into one game. However, if we continue on like this, then we have something worry about.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

About 25 years or so ago, the RedSox dropped their opening game of the season. The next morning, the Globe's headline read "Wait Until Next Year."

It was a horrible performance, but we lost the same 3 points that Wigan lost last year on opening day giving up the only goal of the match in the 93rd minute.

A little perspective, please?

16. Zack

Zack New Member

gutted gutted gutted......had to work today and when i found out the result it ruined my opening day excitement....having said that, while i'm pretty down...it is the first game and not be the "positive loser" but it is the first match of the season..and what better way to show how the team feels then a match on Wed. here is hoping for what many of us expect from the men in white......COYW!!!!!!

DEFEND THE FORTRESS!!!!!

17. BC

BC New Member

My concern was how awful our back line was. We won't do well if our defence isn't strong.

I think the result would have been different had we been at the Cottage.

18. RDG

RDG Member

Not pretty.

Reminded me TOO much of last year's Arsenal match: FFC never seemed to shut down opposing dribblers, while any Fulham player with the ball would be swarmed by the defenders. Unmarked men, no creativity with the ball -- when we actually HAD the ball, . . .

I was in the bar with my tail between my legs, being the only Fulham supporter amongst a couple dozen MU fans. Although they cheered each goal as though it were the FA final, in between scoring the fans could not help but talk about what a crap team they were playing against. Ugh. I didn't expect a victory, but I did expect to see something better than I did.

Bring on Bolton, and let's get three points!!

19. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Well since Coleman isn't gonna be buying anymore players I think it's safe to say that we are in deep deep deep shit. Relegation is a damn real possibility this season.

20. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

After thinking about it Im going to wait til next Sunday to consider if their is a good chance we're going down. If we win and draw our next two games I think we will be allright. Im not saying if we lose our next two were done but it will not be good.