Fulham-Liverpool

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by DCDave, Oct 26, 2009.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, it now appears that Etuhu and AJ may be fit enough to participate, and Davies might make the bench, but that Murphy is still not ready. I think Roy may also rest PK.

With this in mind, here's my lineup for Saturday

-------------------- Tha Big Aussie-----------------

Paintsil ---- Hughes ------- Hangeland ------- Kelly

Duff ------ Greening --------- Baird --- Dempsey

------------- Zamora ------------ Kamara ----------

Yep, pretty much what we saw at City.

Bench: Stockdale; Smalling, Etuhu, Davies, Riise, AJ, EJ

and we're still going to win

2. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

We've been leaving the middle in front of the box too wide open on our end with Murphy out. I'm not feeling confident about this one, 2-1 Pool and I'll hope I'm wrong over beers with Don.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

latest from WhiteJC over on FofF is that AJ, Dickson, and Davies will probably NOT feature on Saturday.

latest from SSN is that Gerrard will NOT play on Saturday. That means we'll face them without Gerrard or Mascherano. If we can keep Benayoun in check [not an easy ask], I think our midfield can handle them.

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Glenn Johnson is also not making the trip along w/Gerrard. Considering that Gerrard always seems to bring his "A" game at the Cottage I ain't exactly broken up he's staying home.

5. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

The BBC seems to think Mascherano is available.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 330334.stm

Interesting note from the article:
    "The only Fulham player to score a hat-trick against Liverpool is Elton John's uncle Roy Dwight, who did so in 1956. The last Liverpool player to net a treble in the fixture was Billy Liddell in 1954."

Truly, Saturday night will be alright for fighting...

6. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

Interesting note from the article:
    "The only Fulham player to score a hat-trick against Liverpool is Elton John's uncle Roy Dwight, who did so in 1956. The last Liverpool player to net a treble in the fixture was Billy Liddell in 1954."

Truly, Saturday night will be alright for fighting...[/quote]

Don didn't you go to these games in your teens?

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Now, now; I'm not NEARLY so old as you!

8. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I guess Mascherano got to fulfull his suspension during the Carling Cup game. Bummer.

9. jmh

jmh New Member

Injury update from Roy

Davies, Etuhu, AJ, Murphy, Kallio out

Schwarzer
    Paintsil, Hughes, Hangeland, Konchesky
    Duff, Baird, Greening, Dempsey
    Zamora, Kamara

Stockdale, Smalling, Kelly, Gera, Riise, Seol, Nevland

10. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

This was probably our easiest home game all year. Liverpool did fuck all with 11,10 and 9 men. We looked dangerous after the half time break and we deserved to go up 2-1. Very good win and with the run of games coming up, the top 5 is within reach after the next 6 or 7 games.

ALso, Zamora has been pretty damn good for the last month or so. He's scoring goals and looking dangerous. This is probably because of the game Kamara had at West Ham. Zamora knew that Kamara was knocking on the door and Zamora has picked up his game. He still has a long way to go and we should keep expecting these types of performances. Hopefully he can do this consistently.

11. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Wow.. just wow. Hoping this is a start of a string for my teams today.
    Fulham Liverpool
    Bobby Zamora (24') Fernando Torres (42')
    Erik Nevland (73')
    Clint Dempsey (87')

12. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Wow.. just wow. Hoping this is a start of a string for my teams today.
    Fulham Liverpool
    Bobby Zamora (24') Fernando Torres (42')
    Erik Nevland (73')
    Clint Dempsey (87')

13. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

COYW'S

GREAT RESULT Always love beating a top 4 team

14. jmh

jmh New Member

Hell to the yeah.

Hope Duff isn't hurt. Can't figure why he came off at the half otherwise, though no complaints since Gera set up Nevland's goal. Also, Konchesky had had some awful attacking touches earlier and he made a phenomenal step-up to take the ball before getting it over to Gera.

15. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

Well that went to better than I could have hoped. In my opinion we were the best team out there even before all the red cards. Great win today.

16. jmh

jmh New Member

17. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

A tale of two halves. An all-around great performance from the entire squad. One guy gets knicked and the next guy steps in and does the job (speaks directly to the man in charge). Bobby was immense (raise your hands if you thought he might blow that tap-in 8) ), Clint was all over the field and brought his lunch pail. After the first half, I was very happy to be tied. We brought out the whoopin' stick in the second half and it was a lot of fun to watch.

Men of the Match; every one that put on the white jersey, the big Aussie in green, and to Roy.

18. Meggrs

Meggrs New Member

Brilliant result! I can't wait to see highlights.

19. jmh

jmh New Member

20. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I recorded the match and watched it in two sittings because I had to take the Mrs. car in for some repairs and run errands this morning. In the first half I was conflicted in that part of me thought we were lucky to be tied 1-1 at the half and part of me thought we were unlucky not to be ahead 1-0. Liverpool bossed the match in the first half but Fulham's defense was superb in not allowing Liverpool good looks at the goal. Liverpool's best chance of the first half fell to Mascherano who rocketed the ball cleanly past Schwarzer only to watch it thunderously rattle off the crossbar. Fulham went ahead on an excellent counter with Zamora tapping home a beautifully weighted pass from Damien Duff. Only Fernando Torres SUPERB finish on a half chance allowed Liverpool to go into the half tied 1-1. There are very few strikers in the world with the technique to hit the shot the way Torres hit it. Even as a Fulham Fan I had to admire the quality of the Torres goal. I hated that he scored it against Fulham but I admired it none the less.

I am still stunned at the direction the second half took. I know Torres is a key cog in the Liverpool gears but at the same time Fulham subbed out Duff and Kamara and it could be argued that those two have been vital to the Fulham attack of late. Whatever brought about the change at the half I hope Fulham managed to bottle some of the second half magic for future use. Bobby Zamora was outstanding and it must be said that he outplayed Jamie Carragher for most of the match. Roy must have had a nice chat with Clint at the half because Dempsey consistently gave the ball away far to easily in the first half but looked dangerous without looking clumsy in the second. Nevland and Gera slotted in nicely for Kamara and Duff. How nice is it that Roy can bring players off the bench and the level of play on the field is not in danger of dropping off immensely? There are so many good things to say about the second half but since I would like to eat my dinner while it is hot I will leave that to the rest of you.

Great win at the Cottage over Liverpool. Excellent second half performance by the Whites! Three points and the White's are rolling.