Fulham @ Hull City START YOUR ENGINES!!

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by nmancini04, Aug 11, 2008.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Here's the game-day squads:

1 Boaz Myhill : Mark Schwarzer 1
    21 Samuel Ricketts : John Pantsil 4
    6 Michael Turner : Brede Hangeland 5
    30 Anthony Gardner : Aaron Hughes 18
    3 Andy Dawson : Paul Konchesky 3
    14 Richard Garcia : Simon Davies 25
    4 Ian Ashbee : Danny Murphy 13
    20 George Boateng : Seol Ki-Hyeon 7
    8 Nick Barmby : Jimmy Bullard 21
    10 Deiberson Geovanni : Zoltan Gera 11
    23 Marlon King : Bobby Zamora 9

Subs:
    15 Bernard Mendy : Clinton Dempsey 23
    18 Caleb Folan : Fredrik Stoor 22
    7 Craig Fagan : Leon Andreasen 26
    9 Dean Windass : Erik Nevland 10
    16 Peter Halmosi : Toni Kallio 33
    12 Matt Duke : Andranik Teymourian 6
    22 Dean Marney : Pascal Zuberbuhler 19

Looks like a 4-5-1; Lots of midfield stuff. Nevland is there for last-minute lightning.

COYW!!!!

2. WVfulhamfan

WVfulhamfan New Member

3. jonbruns

jonbruns New Member

Thanks WV!!
    I was trying to go to live footy, but no luck.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

temporary insanity by PK cost us a point. Hull was really up for this, and Geovanni was their MOM. You really shouldn't lose on a goal in the penalty area from your opponent's LB.

Lotsa bitching to come, but we played some great football. The big concern so far for me is the link between the defense and the midfield. Maybe it was because the screen was so small, but I didn't see Murphy do anything today. Bullard had his moments. Our MOM has to be Seol. He looked better today than he even looked at the beginning of the 06-07 season for Reading.

Sigh; fulhamish still!

5. ChicagoFan

ChicagoFan New Member

Welcome to Bottom of the Gin Bottle, population: me.

6. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Why is it whenever I get done watching a Fulham match I want to punch a hole in the wall?

Good play in the first half that vanished quickly in the second half. The backline was virtually nonexistant today. Konch's mistake was inexcusable and the other three were less than stellar. Can't wait to see Stoor feature and hopefully AJ can bring a much needed spark for the Arsenal match.

Fulham's just been beaten by the unanimous favorite to be relegated. It is going to be a long season...

7. BC

BC New Member

Ok, forgive me for the following. It's immediately post-match and I'm livid.

Here we go again. Same old shit, different season. I'm not sure why I even get optimistic with Fulham. We're going to piddle along just like we have the last few seasons, win a few here and there, lose to shite teams like Hull, be near relegation for 90% of the season. These 3 points will come back to haunt us, just like the 4 we lost off Derby did last season. F'in hell.

There, I feel better now. Whining rant over.

8. terrinh73

terrinh73 Member

May I join you, C'fan?

It's only the first game, y'all. Try to remain positive.

Going to drink loads and sit by the pool until I don't feel anymore...
    -T

9. sublicon

sublicon New Member

It's too early to be worried and damning the season yet. Much too early. After last season, where we lost match after match after match . . . we're not even close to that point yet.

Disappointing, but it ain't over til it's over.

P.S. Arsenal couldn't get more than 1 past West Brom, Bolton put 3 past Stoke . . I'm calling it now, Stoke is this year's Derby County.

10. heestj10

heestj10 New Member

It's only the first game, but I feel sick already. I guess we can take comfort that Hull was extra motivated today for their first top flight game so it may have been a tougher match than expected.

11. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

i'm out of town and didn't get to catch the match, but i kept checking my mobile to get updates as the match went along...and i stopped checking at about the 70th minute. needless to say, i was rather disappointed, yet for some reason, not surprised.

with the 4-5-1 from the get-go, it seems roy was going conservative. was that the case?

lots o' matches left, but i'll throw my lot in with the above, and increase the population of The Bottom of The Gin Bottle to 2!

12. IanHux

IanHux New Member

While I'm not even close to losing any hope that this season will be like last years but notice how we lost the game after the 80th minute....... I'm I the only one having flashbacks?

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Nev, we had the ball most of the day. Unlike Sanchez when, even when we won, we had about 46%, today we were well over 50. Our midfield was always looking to attack, and Seol, not Z-bird, was the target man. Except for about 20 minutes of the 2nd half where we reverted to booting the ball up the field, we pretty much bossed the midfield. Had it not been for pure stupidity by Konchesky, we'd have gotten the draw we had earned. Hull were full of spirit and aggression, and Geovanni played brilliantly.

My biggest bitch was shelling out 40 quid yesterday for FulhamTV and getting the same match tracker I could have gotten from ESPN for nothing. Where was the audio? Where was GJ?

Gee, if we only knew somebody who worked at FFC and could answer these questions! :twisted:

14. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Anyone have a link to some highlights?

15. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Fulham played quite well in the first half, and okay for some of the second half. It was a good game overall. If Fulham plays the way they did in the first half, with all the intricate passing manuveours, than they'll be fine.

We all knew Hull may pull an upset in this game being the first game of the year and at Hull.

Not that big of a deal.

... and don't start the finger pointing and name calling of players out, unless they're god awful. You know what you're getting in to when you choose to follow Fulham.

16. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

I miss McBride and Boca........sigh.....

17. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

If we're completely honest, Fulham didn't deserve the win today, but I do believe a draw would have been fair. The backline was shakey the entire match and Konch's mistake was the cherry on top of the blunders this afteroon.

Once the side hits their form, I believe they'll be fine. Gera could have easily had two goals and Zamora will begin to link up better with the midfield with more time.

Big concern of mine... is it possible for Hughes to win a 50/50 header? I realize that Hangeland handles the majority of them, but Hughes seems to be a pushover in most aerial challenges.

18. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

I totally agree Lyle.If anyone watched the match, they would have seen that Hull came to play, and then some. And I mentioned it in the podcast but you never, EVER, want to play newly promoted teams at their place to start the season.

Yes, we did just drop three points. But its not this total embarrassment that we and the press are making it seem. It sucks, but we'll move on. The team who wanted it more, won.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Good points Lyle and timmyg. Perspective is needed here. At the end of toay's play, the top 5 teams in the league are Bolton, Blackburn, Hull, Middlesboro, and West Ham. Meanwhile, WE HAVE ZERO POINTS!

What this means is that it is the first day of the season. There was some good football played today, and it will get us more points that it will lose us. I still like our chances.

20. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I liked what I saw for the most part. Gera looked really good on the wing, and Pantsil played well, too.

I am still not impressed with Hughes. I'm sorry, but he just does not do it for me. I think we need to replace him in the CB position.

We did really good attacking when we kept it on the ground, but once we started going airborne with the long ball, we lost it. It showed that we miss McBride's aerial prowess. Zamora is just no McBride.

For me, MOTM was Gera easily. He should have put away two good chances. Well played all around, but our curse haunts us still.