Fulham FC @ Derby County [R]

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by americanmike, Mar 24, 2008.

1. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

You are all wrong...we don't deserve to go down, the fans are outstanding, Fulham deserves to go down, unfortunately the two are inseperable...

so you are all right...we deserve to go down...to be honest I am grateful to the almighty lord we got one point out of this...they deserved three and took it to us...

Unfortunate results elsewhere but you got to make the best of it, it is done, it happened, we need to pick up three at the Cottage on Saturday, no doubts about it...we're actually seven back since we have such a shit goal differential...

This means that we have to go 2-3-1 to stay up if Birmingham gets no more points...not likely, but not so hopeless to think about it like that considering their schedule is Wigan (A) Everton (H) Villa (A) Liverpool (H) Fulham (A) and Rovers (H)...

We have...Sunderland (H) Reading (A) Liverpool (H) Man City (A) Birmingham (H) and Portsmouth (A)...we have to beat Birmingham so there's one win and then hopefully Sunderland next week and then just a draw at the least or a few draws and a few wins and we're up!!!!!

not hopeless at all...

UP FULHAM!!!!!!!!!

2. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Reading that again does make me feel better...I recommend it to all.

...see much better.

3. EricD

EricD New Member

Terri, I was thinking the same thing about Bolton.
    They were up 2-0.

The next game against Sunderland is huge.

McBride did not really get going in this game. Kamera had a nice showing in terms of hustle and his goal (I was excited at having a goal at the 10 minute mark). Same with Hammuer. Bullard is a worker, and I am not sure why he was subbed for Murphy. Although Murphy had one decent through ball, I was thinking that Dempsey would sub for Bullard if anyone. I would like to see Boca out there especially after the nice game he had against Poland.

It seemed like there was no urgency in this game. Talk about needing three points. As much as other teams are taking the points from Derby, they are talking about taking those points from FFC as well. One thing you have to give Derby is that they did not give up. They can end their season knowing FFC did not beat them.

4. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Top scorer on the bench; not even subbed in when we needed a goal.

Says it right there.

5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Was out of town and have this one DVRed, but frankly not sure if I'll be able to bring myself to actually watching it. I can only imagine how sick everyone was when they gave up the quick reply. Last season we left 4 points on the pitch v Watford and were lucky to survive (won't happen this time around). Let's be honest this team is simply not good enough to win four of the last six games (and tying the other 2). After seeing the standings the best we can hope for is 18th.

6. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

you know your team is doomed when every match day is progressively worse than the one before.

take today -- i was supposed to go to nyc. instead i woke up at 5am and upchucked. just now do i finally have the strength to comment on this match after spending the entire day sleeping/laying in agony in my bed.

its over. Hodgson is the worst manager we've ever had (bringing in Murphy and EJ??!?!). i want him fired before we're officially relegated.

which should be in a week or two.

7. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

What good would firing Woy do -- good, bad or ondifferent he deserves a chance in the summer transfer window. Besides, who is available to replace him.

Derby is officially relegated today, so we'll be seeing them next year again.

8. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

9. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting Mike, were you in the bar?

The announcers doing the game were commending both the home and away fans throughout the game saying they were surprised w/the position of both teams that the atmosphere could be that good. Well done the traveling support.

10. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

We've now had three different managers with three different styles, unable to stop Fulham's slide.

Each and all of them could be criticized for how they contributed to that slide, but the inescapable conclusion is that it must go deeper and higher than just the managers.

I'm gonna throw some sacred cows in front of the bus, here:

No more Yanks!

Retire McBride.. or Retire, McBride.
    -assuming we can't get someone to take off the defensive pressure on him, or feed him balls dependably.

Get someone on coaching staff who can inspire the team. That means a lot.

11. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Oh yes, and you can see me on there...lurking in the background.

Here's some more from the concourse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o5e13Uvx8c

I'd like to comment on the match and give details but I'm still gutted. I/we were so overjoyed by our goal and I thought we had won. When they scored, that was the lowest I have ever, ever felt as a Fulham supporter. I still feel like absolute shit and I don't think i can forgive the players for letting their guard down.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, a most pleasurable and profitable weeked for the non-Fulham passion in my life was ALMOST overshadowed by the match. I turned on the DVR as soon as I got back into the house and, if I hadn't gotten so sick at the overall result, I'd have been more appreciative of the best 90 minutes of football FFC has been involved in for a very long time. Thing is, as has been pointed out, we've dropped 4 points in two matches against the worst team in EPL history. We've finally paid the price for not being more ruthless at Bolton, at Wigan, at Sunderland, and at home against Derby, Newcastle, and West Ham. Because of our own passivity and lack of self-belief, the 18 points we should have gained from those matches were, instead, 4 points, and that's why we're going down.

Derby? They finally found another Prem-level striker and he paid off for them. Their midfield is SHIT and their defense makes Franck Queudrue look positively speedy, but they fouled Macca and Eddie very stylishly today and they got away with it.

So, those 14 GIVEN AWAY points over the season has guaranteed that we're down. And, as somebody who's actually been paying attention to the CCC for the last three or four years, I can tell you that we aren't bouncing back. We don't have the war chest to pay the wages necessary to keep/attract players who can get us back up in a hurry. We're probably going to be good enough to finish in the top half of the table, but we're going to have to have more self-belief than we've shown for most of the season.

I hope we keep Roy for one more season. I'd like to see what he can put on the pitch, but I don't think we will. I'd also like to think that the last season and a half has been an aberration, but it may be closer to the truth to say that the past seven seasons have been the aberration.

So, as we drop down -- to be replaced by BRISTOL FUCKING CITY -- I just want to say that I'll be here through the summer, playing the who will sign game, and I'll be here in August staying glued to GJ's "oh dearie me's" and I'll be posting all the COYWs that I can.\

See you guys in the fall? I hope so.

13. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Let Roy go at the end of the season. I want John Colins in as manager. He would bring in good young scottish talent and would build our team around young players as he did with Hibs. We are going down and he would be the type of manager that can bring us right back up.

As for the rest of the season, it's simple-We're down and out of this league. Unless we win 5 out of the last 6 games we are going down. If anybody honestly thinks that Birmingham will do any worse than 5-6 points out of the last 6 games, they're kidding themselves. They will end up with at the very least 35 points and that means we would have to get 12 more points. I'm guessing that Birmingham gets more like 37-38 points though. We're down. Time to bring in the manager and start over. I want the new manager to see what players are capable of staying and whta players need to go.

14. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Don, I'm going to have to disagree with you. If MAF sticks around -- a BIG if -- we'll have a plentiful warchest. The 26 million he spent this summer has to surpass any CCC club.

Plus as the Premier League continually grows in stature and talent via TV revenue, the gulf between it and the CCC grows exponentially. Excluding Watford and WestBrom (who are both yo-yos), look at the clubs vying for promotion this year: Hull, Stoke, Bristol, Plymouth, Ipswich, Wolves, those clubs COMBINED are going to make Derby look amazing.

I'll accept we're done. But no way will I accept we're through in the top flight before the world ends in 2012.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

uh, timmyg; uh you know something the rest of us don't? :shock:

16. BC

BC New Member

I don't agree with letting Roy go. He's turned what was a miserable side into a passable one. He's done well with what he's had to work with and given time, I've no doubt he could get us to a level where we could be back in the prem. Ditching managers at the drop of a hat, as is the trend it seems, is not always the best plan. Look at Everton. Do you think they'd be doing as well if they'd dumped Moyes when they first fell on hard times with him? We all want a quick fix but the reality is, we are not going to get it. Rebuilding this team to premiership level again is going to take time, probably 3 to 5 seasons at least. I say stick with Roy, give him a season or two and see what happens.

As a footnote, no chance of FSC acquiring the CCC broadcasting rights, is there?

17. BarryP

BarryP New Member

What was worse than watching Fulham draw with a Derby in the miserable fashion it did this weekend? Watching in Fado's Irish Pub in Columbus, Ohio as the only Fulham fan. My family joined me while we ate lunch during the first half and a part of the second half when they departed for some browsing at Barnes and Nobles.

The pub was full of fans from other teams singing and chanting and cheering as Arsenel made their comeback. I was looking for anyone to talk to and commiserate with. I found myself alone cheering and complaining to the delight of a ManU fan who even took pity on Fulham when EJ was not given the penalty. I cheered as Fulham scored the go ahead goal only to listen to the pub sing about Fulham going down
    moments later. As the minutes dwindled down my heart sank for Fulham and the pub cheered for Arsenel. It was a very lonely feeling. My team was sinking further into relegation and I was the only one who cared. I cheered myself a little knowing I would come back here to commiserate with those of us still holding out hope

18. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Were down after this crap. And we get what we deserve. Two chances and we still can't be Derby!

19. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

the mayans baby!

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

oh yeah, the Mayans. I think they got relegated to the Isthmian League when I was in Middle School.