Fulham being sold...

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Team_of_McBrides, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

It is a bit of a wind up title, but I figured it would get more attention. I was reading this article earlier about Fayed's displeasure with the EPL's way of doing business of late.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... to=newsnow

The article was all well and good, Fayed made some good arguments and has some fair shouting points. The conclusion of the article was what made me scratch my head a bit. Fayed is actually willing to sell the club and there have been two approaches already. Now, Fayed said that he would need a "perfect offer" in order to sell, but what can that really mean besides the right price.

Any thoughts of new owners, likes and dislikes of Fayed or owners you would care to have at Fulham?

2. Deucefan

Deucefan New Member

I think the 'perfect offer' relates to his sons buying or getting the club.

Just a thought...

3. Team_of_McBrides

I know that his son is next in line to own the club, but after investing nearly 250 million and not seeing much of a return do you think he will just was his hands of football?

IMO, I doubt he will. He seemed to be a big supporter of Fulham before he bought the club. Just hope that he doesn't choose to cut LS short on transfer funds in the future.

4. Masshole

Masshole New Member

We need some billionaire to realize this club has history and one of the best locations in all of the EPL. Get someone who realizes with about 20-million in transfers they would have a mid/top 5 table team with a stadium that can grow in London. So much potential IMO.

5. Team_of_McBrides

Fayed is a billionaire. As a matter of fact he was one of the first billionaire owners of an EPL side. With his money he has led them to several promotions. Shouldn't slight what he has accomplished as owner thus far.

I believe he has grown tired of continued investment and not better results though. Unfortunately for him, he needs to invest a far cry more than 10 million in order to compete. Seems he is content with just fighting off relegation at this point.

6. Masshole

Masshole New Member

I meant a billionaire who is willing to spend money, not one trying to recover from past debt of owning the team. He doesn't seem willing to keep up with the middle/lower table teams and we will go down if he doesn't. The team is super thin at many positions and while other teams around us are landing people, we haven't got a sniff. Maybe I'm mad we haven't signed anyone yet, but if we don't start moving we might be in trouble.

7. Team_of_McBrides

I agree. Fulham does have the funds to sign players it is all a matter of Fayed is willing to open up the pocket book or not. He seems awfully interested in purchasing a second division side in Scotland, so maybe his interest is beginning to shift from Fulham.

Haven't lost hope and maybe with a few key signings Fulham can stay clear of the drop zone thoughout the season.

8. BC

BC New Member

Just to play devil's advocate here, what if the next Abramovich bought Fulham? Suddenly we have an influx of money, we lure world superstars to our squad, we update the Cottage with luxury boxes and all of a sudden, every wannabe footy fan in the US (and elsewhere) is sporting a Fulham shirt without the slightest clue about the team. I realize Chelsea were scum before Roman but do we want to start ourselves down that path?

Okay, I know that's the extreme. What we really want is a rich owner who will give us the money we need to bring in quality players who are dedicated to Fulham, not superstars just earning a paycheck ala Chelsea. In other words, someone who will build the team into a top 10 club the proper way.

9. Team_of_McBrides

Fayed has the finances in order to bring those players in he just hasn't opened the pocket book as much as fans had hoped.

If that terrible terrible tragic event ocurred, I would be in bits. The odds of that happening are slim to none. There isn't another owner in football like Roman. He throws money away as a hobby, Glazers spend a lot and accumulate a lot of debt, Gillett and Hicks haven't spent a dime other than on the stadium and resigning players, Lerner hasn't spent a whole lot but is improving his side consistently with O'Neill making all the calls and Magnusson has been splashing cash for a number of players.

Really hope that nightmare scenario doesn't occur.

10. BC

BC New Member

Me too. With the number of Yanks on the club, I'm surprised there hasn't been more American investor interest. I guess Fulham in not quite the money maker that Liverpool or Man Utd is.

11. Team_of_McBrides

No, Fulham really is a far cry away from the money machines that Man Utd and Liverpool are. That is one of the attractive aspects of Fulham though. They aren't one of the big four and have to work hard for every win with players who leaved everything they have out on the field. (bit of an idealist perspective, but I'm a glass half full of sorts)

12. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

While I'm still in a sour mood, maybe I ought to put in my take.

Let's look at what Reading has done in the Prem, and what Toronto has done in MLS.

I dont know how to catch either form / feature / attitude in a bottle, but looking at what MY clubs have done, I sure wish I could.

13. Team_of_McBrides

I agree completely. Don't know how the Canadians have done it, well besides sound investment in promising talent, but they are impressive. It was great to watch what Reading did last season as well, but they will inevitably go through the second year slump. Double that with their most talented player leaving and they could be in some trouble. Hope they stay up though as they are an exciting and sound side to watch.

14. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Fulham is going after "I hope they can keep us up players". It's going to be a long year. Us and Wigan are picking the worst peaches left to be picked. They need to take some gambles and look at people in Eastern Europe and South America. Maybe even pick up some Korean, Japanese or Chinese dude.

Maybe the Chairman wants the team to be relegated to begin a rebuilding process.

15. Team_of_McBrides

Relegation is probably the last thing that Fayed wants. Rebuilding is one thing, being dropped is a completely different.

There are players in the side who can develop and become "known" in the EPL. I would give it a few more weeks before I really start to get worried about the signings coming in.

16. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

I vote for Mark Cuban to buy FFC. He's loaded, would spend to win, and would upgrade player perks and amenities to make playing for Fulham very desireable. Not to mention he'd bring a ton of American interest to the club. Interest = cash and cash = big time signings with an owner like him.

17. Team_of_McBrides

I would end my support of FFC as soon as his pen hit the paper. Can't stand his antics, they are childish and boring. He is the owner, not a coach or player for that matter. His place is in the front office and acts more like an overbearing fan than a logical owner.

I won't doubt his success, but he is a complete "muppet".

18. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

He is certainly all of those things. But he also transformed Dallas from a dead end laughing stock to a contender everyone wants to play for. I'd take that a Fulham. Plus, he'd be based here, so we wouldn't have to deal with too much of his b.s. How about Bob Kraft instead?

19. Team_of_McBrides

The Kraft's are a fantastic ownership group. They build sound clubs and don't seem to overpay for players, hire great managers/coaches and consistently know how to win.

They were rumoured to be in for Liverpool, but when the price got so high they backed out. Great owners IMO.

20. samizdat7

samizdat7 New Member

The Krafts are fantastic, but you must keep in mind that they operate in an entirely different professional sports world than the EPL.

First, the NFL is the wealthiest professional sports league in the world. The Kraft investment in the NFL has skyrocketed since they purchased the Patriots.

Secondly, the NFL has a strict salary cap, which a) ensures league equality and parity (something blatantly absent in the EPL) and b) protects the owners from extreme salary increases and from other free-wheeling owners from running up the free agent market.

That the Krafts have built the Patriots into an NFL dynasty is one of the most impressive ownership feats in all of professional sports--especially considering the second point above--but the challenges that Robert Kraft face are entirely different than the challenges that Fayed must overcome.