Fulham @ Basel

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by SteveM19, Dec 13, 2009.

1. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Well, it's win or go home for The Good Guys, on the road no less. I want a full strength 11. I know Man Yoo is this weekend, but that's what I want dammit, and I don't have to be rational.

Come on you Whites!

2. jmh

jmh New Member

This is what it all leads up to, isn't it? (I mean, obviously, if Fulham were in the Champions League final then that would be more so, but you get the idea.) I mean, don't get me wrong, staying in the Premier League is hugely important, obviously, but avoiding relegation is treading water, and advancing in the Europa League is SWIMMING.

That being the case, with all due respect to Greening and Gera and Smalling and especially Riise (who's done an excellent job in limited duty in the Europa), I agree with Steve about seeing a full-strength side, at least except for the players who have those absurd suspensions. Murphy in if he's good to go, Dempsey, Duff, Zamora, Hughes and Hangeland, etc.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

This is our 10th European tie this season, and win, lose or draw we've had a good showing. Basel is there to be taken and Cap'n Danny is ready to do the taking.
    Depending on who is injured or still serving a card or is on the friggin roster to begin with, I'm hoping Roy puts out our stongest side. I think they don't score and we score twice.

And then I'm hoping for a home & home against Celtic, followed by one against Liverpool. After that I don't care who we draw!

COYW!

Anyone know if GolTV is carrying this round? It would be nice, seeing as how there's usually a good link available if they do.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

GolTV - Delayed
    11pm EST

Interesting note: Livesoccertv 'Europa' head calls up Uefa CL

5. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

I’m excited for this. Sneaking out of work to catch this one live (Direct TV ch. 463, 1. P.M. ET, 12 Central). I want the best available squad for this one too. The way I figure it is, if we can beat Basel, maybe we’ll have enough momentum to shock Man U again. I want more European football. It makes my weekdays much better. So come noon on Wednesday, you can find me at the Amsterdam Tavern in South St. Louis. COYW!!!!

6. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

I'd like to see that match-up as well, but alas we will have to wait and see if Fulham make Champions League for next season. I certainly hope so!

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

didn't Celtic join Liverpool in the "here's your consolation prize ticket to the Europa League?" Or did they finish too low for that?

8. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Like some above me have mentioned, I hope Roy sends the kitchen sink at them. Fulham doesn't get to play European football on a regular basis and we should try our best to stay in it.

9. BarryP

BarryP New Member

All I have to say is COYW's and let ManU take care of itself come the weekend.

10. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

For me, this is the biggest match for Fulham since that year in Fratton Park...can't wait, simply cannot wait. The Whites' upcoming league ties are difficult regardless of Europe, thus I'd hope Roy goes all out on Wednesday.

COYW!

11. jmh

jmh New Member

Celtic were knocked out of the Champions League by Arsenal in the playoff before the group stage, went into the group stage of the Europa League as a result, and will finish third or fourth in their group, from which Hamburg and Hapoel Tel Aviv will advance. Go Jews. :D

While I have the Europa League page is open, though, that's not remotely the weirdest thing to have happened; for my money, that has to be Red Bull Salzburg (by UEFA coefficient, the fourth weakest team in the whole group stage) dominating a group that has Villarreal and Lazio in it.

12. sullytex

sullytex Member

This is going to be an interesting week of football for me becuase....

1. I AM GOING TO BASEL!!! I wanted to go to Roma or Sofia, but this is the only one that fit my schedule. I fly out from Heathrow Tuesday evening and return butt ass early on Thursday morning (that is going to be painful win, lose or draw). Staying at the same hotel as the folks going with the club sponsored flyer. What else is there to say other than we win and we are in (or advance is more appropriate). As mentioned in previous posts, lets run out our best 11 available Roy. Sieze this opportunity. A victory here could be on par with the 2 - 0 drubbing of Man United I witnessed last year at the Cottage...which brings me to my second point.

2. Going to Man United @ home on Saturday...'nuff said.

Soccer Gods are smiling down on me...lets hope they continue to do so all the way through until the final whistle on Saturday. Touch wood and all that.

Mike I will drop you a note, if its convenient, lets hook up for a beer Wed before the game.

13. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Sounds like a good opportunity for you to do some research. Here is a little I've done myself, that could involve The Whites and/or The Bhoys. Seems Roy may be interested, noting his ties to the Scandis.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... rs&cc=5901

14. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Ooooh, a student of The Beautiful Game. I like the cut of your jib, jmh.

15. FulhamDC

FulhamDC Active Member

I'm with everyone here, I hope they field the best 11 and move on in Europa. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Roy agrees with us.

http://www.fulhamweb.com/premier-league ... -team.aspx

It looks like he's too disgusted by the poor refereeing in the 2 matches against Roma to care anymore. To me, the best way to get back at UEFA is to win and move on!

16. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I know Roy is still pissed off, but we'll be prepared and ready to go. Just wish we had AJ or Dio available (especially w/Nevland suspended). 1-0 to the good guys, let's keep the joyride rolling into the New Year!!!

And welcome to the site dthoren513

17. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Is it me, or does that Fulhamweb article sound like the quote is not entirely accurate?

I don't like the idea of potentially our last Europa league game not being as big -- there's room for both -- but fair enough, he's the boss. But I find it hard enough to believe that he said this word for word. If Man Yoo on Saturday is a bigger game, well, there's a reason why he's the big boss man and I am not, but who enters a contest saying we do not expect to win.

18. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

The English??

19. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness what a biggg match.

Still no Nevland and PK, as their red cards were deemed "violent" and thus banned for 3 matches.

So probably the same lineup we saw against CSKA Sofia, but Danny Murphy may return.

COYW!

20. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I'm with Roy, while I'll be watching and rooting for a win, the shadiness of this tournament has soured me on it. I'd rather see us shoot for an FA Cup run.

I predict we exit the tournament here with a draw. It sounds like we're not going to put out a very attacking side and Basel is most likely going to park the bus. Should be ugly. Who knows though, maybe Roy is just being sly and not tipping his hand.