Fulham Away to Southampton

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by SoCalJoe, Oct 4, 2012.

1. tim

tim Active Member

Poor all-around as others have said. Very frustratig. Looked a bit better in the second half, but Southampton is a poor team. We should have taken the match to them from the start; even if we don't manage an early goal, we should control possession and generate the majority of the chances. The blame's to be shared on this one for sure.

Buoyed by the fact that Berba and Petric should be back soon enough, and that this was an aberration rather than typical from our backline. Still very concerned about the center of the park. Sidwell and Baird are a stop-gap, but not a solution (all due respect to both). Hoping for a (much!) better effort in 13 days, when I'll be happily sitting in block FL of the Haynes stand.

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Mentioned it on the Hangeland thread, but Brede was beyond poor yesterday. If Zat Knight had put that performance out, he would have been scorched. Couldn't believe he got beat through (his bread and butter) the air, on a play he heads away 99 out of 100 times. Biggest highlight was being able to fast forward the halftime. Neither team deserved to win so a point each was fair, even though to be lucky enough to get ahead, it sucked seeing the Saints tie (and almost win) it. Take a point, get healthy, and forget the fact we'll never get that 2 hours back from our lives.

3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I'm not sure you want to watch it. I mentioned before halftime in the chat that this was pretty much the only time I've watched a game be 1-0 with Fulham in it and would rather be doing something else. Before Fulham went ahead, I was hoping to go into labor. That's how bad it was.

4. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Watched it on and off in dvr mode yesterday - 2-1 up and Brede can't put a head on it (I think he was held down on that play, not sure) - Schwarzer is trying to become #2 given his judgment these days. Not good, but what the hell, it is a point away! COYW

5. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Fulham have taken a huge step backward in midfield. Some time when I am awake enough I might try and put some coherent thought to that statement.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I think that's clear to most of us who don't believe that (a) Murphy is past it, (b) Dempsey was a one-season flash-in-the-pan who is easily replaced by Special K, and that Dembele was a passenger except for the last half of last season. To them, the fact is that our midfield is much stronger. They provide, as evidence, the existence in the squad of two players who [earlier] they were saying should be loaned out and of two players who have yet to make a first team debut.

I don't know why you and I and pretty much every other person who understands the concept of reality can't see how clear that is.

7. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

It's still early, of course, but I would suggest we've taken a huge step backward overall, not just in midfield.

Let's be honest, some of our stalwarts haven't been particularly stout so far. I'm talking about Schwarzer, Hangs, and Riise. We've LOST our midfield, simply because we couldn't afford to keep them, or, in the case of Murph, well, I don't really know.

You can't lose as much talent as we have this summer and not feel it. And now we're starting to feel it. This break is good, but will it help? I have my doubts.

8. SteveFakeBlood

SteveFakeBlood Member

Broward County , FL (from DuPage County, IL)
    Yeah, that about sums it up to me. I meant to be in the chatroom, but couldn't sleep Saturday night- slept through my alarm and already had plans later in the day, so I just ended up watching the match on Monday and didn't get around to posting until today. It might be an exaggeration to say that our defense looked shakier than it has since the Lawrie Sanchez era, but it wasn't good. We got lucky that Ricky Lambert didn't put a chance or two away. To get three points would've been an absolute steal (especially since Hooiveld's own goal was absolutely dreadful and a total gift) , but it's never not disappointing to concede in stoppage time. The good news- maybe Kieran Richardson netting will build his confidence up and improve his midfield play and hopefully, Petric and Berbatov will be up to full strength after the international break, Diarra and Frei will be back soon- and our first match back is against a pretty marginal Villa side back at the Cottage. It's hard for me to imagine a Fulham team that will beat opponents by piling up goals, but if our defense doesn't improve and Berba and Petric come back strong, that may be what we'll have to do.

The international break is annoying, but I think we'll come back from it in better shape.

~ Steve