Fulham away to Newcastle

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by SoCalJoe, Aug 29, 2013.

1. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Joe, I don't see him being very proactive, so I'd say too late. If Jol is gone before season end, I'll be surprised.

If we're doing bullet points I'd add, who knew how prescient you were when you posted those pics of Sue Terry in the predictions thread for this match. Summed up our performance all too well.

2. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

By December of his first season, I thought Jol wasn't a good fit for Fulham and thought the plan he implemented was doomed to fail given our team and budget. A lot of our problems have been there from the start. If Dempsey doesn't go on one of the most blinding goal scoring streaks in Fulham history that spring, how bad does Jol's tenure look? What if we don't win Swansea away on the last day last season? A pair of 15th or lower finishes in addition to this start and massive questions are being asked. But an 8th and 12th look fairly successful for FFC and have masked our problems.

I'm wondering if the worm turned (attitude-wise) when D&D were sold. His comments before West Ham away (right after the sale) last year were shocking. He sounded like he was demoralized and defeated and our performance that day mirrored his comments. He's said little else since to indicate much optimism and he keeps bringing the sales up ad nauseam.

That said, Jol quit on 4th place Ajax the year prior to coming in and they went on to win the league after he left. I'm starting to wonder if he really wants to manage a football club. Maybe he thought coming to London would revitalize him and it hasn't. Obviously that is nothing more than speculation. But I have a hard time buying that he's had success in spite of being stupid or that he suddenly became stupid. Not saying tactics have ever been his strong suit, but historically, he hasn't been this bad. Regardless of when things changed, its pretty darn clear they have and that's all that matters.